Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable routing--quick build wings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

See uploaded picture in SR-Moose, 106 S/M Wings.

In taking apart one of my wing leading edge skins, I discovered that the plastic tube that protects wires as well as my pitot / static tubes was simply zip-tied to all of the leading edge ribs. As you can see in the uploaded picture, after about 230 hours in my plane, the "protective" tube in mine is a short time away from cutting wires / tubes. About half of the rib-attachments show cuts of this magnitude.

I think someone told me that Moose quick build wings all have their wires / pitot tubes routed (zip-tied) like this. Is that true, or am I just lucky? Seems that there's a lurking problem out there...

Ted Waltman
[quote][b]

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List
Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Interesting. I'd not have thought that the vibration could but through the tube like that. But I reckon it can.

I wonder what would be a prefered method for doing this... pondering... Is there a 90-degree clamp designed for this type of situation, I wonder? Nothing that I saw in the ACS catalog... hmmm... Perhaps glue/epoxy a rubber/nylon edge piece where the conduit meets the metal?

Best regards,
Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

I reckon it would look something like this, now that I've been looking over some other construction photos:

http://tincantimes.dcsol.com/Default6_files/2005_0117_123953AA.jpg

I'll keep this as a mental note for myself when it comes my time Smile

Best regards,
Chris

tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Hello Chris,

I believe clamps such as these are the preferred attach method:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ms21919clamps.php

Ted

--

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Thanks Ted,

I saw those in the catalog, but I didn't see how they'd make the 90 degree turn. That's when I ran across the photo mentioned previously that showed a 90 degree bracket attached to the wing framework, then the clamp attached to the bracket. I thought that maybe there was one with this angle already built in, but I guess not. Rather simple solution, though Smile

Thanks again,
Chris

ScottA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Ted,
Does it look like there is room to run the conduit down the very leading
edge? Along the front side of the front spare, just inside the curve?
Seems it couldn't move much at all in there and you wouldn't have to put in
a zillion clamps, however not sure how much room to get wires around the
forward attach fitting. Maybe jog it back to the other side just before
getting there.
Of course my FB fuselage is just like yours so if the lights stop working
I'll know where to look <grin>.

Scott
Moose 174

ScottA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Ted,
Did you insert the picture in the matronic’s list or just the rebel list archives? I didn’t see it here, not sure if you knew that you can now insert (or was it attach?) right into the Matronic’s emails now.

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted Waltman
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 9:28 AM
To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com; rebel-builders(at)dcsol.com
Subject: Cable routing--quick build wings?

In taking apart one of my wing leading edge skins, I discovered that the plastic tube that protects wires as well as my pitot / static tubes was simply zip-tied to all of the leading edge ribs. As you can see in the uploaded picture, after about 230 hours in my plane, the "protective" tube in mine is a short time away from cutting wires / tubes. About half of the rib-attachments show cuts of this magnitude.

I think someone told me that Moose quick build wings all have their wires / pitot tubes routed (zip-tied) like this. Is that true, or am I just lucky? Seems that there's a lurking problem out there...

Ted Waltman
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Sorry folks...forgot to insert the picture of the conduit in my post yesterday. Thanks for reminding me Scott.

I'll try inserting the picture in this email.

Ted

[img]cid:093314217(at)05092006-1B12[/img]

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:06 AM
To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Cable routing--quick build wings?

Ted,
Did you insert the picture in the matronic’s list or just the rebel list archives? I didn’t see it here, not sure if you knew that you can now insert (or was it attach?) right into the Matronic’s emails now.

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted Waltman

Ted Waltman
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IMG_2772cropW.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.43 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

IMG_2772cropW.jpg

ScottA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Ted, are any of the “looser” ones doing this? Just wondering if it is okay if they hadn’t pulled the wrap tie so tight?

Another way is to use a short piece of rubber hose as a stand off and still use the wrap tie. Wrap tie goes around whatever through the hose and then around the other whatever. I have a bunch of stand offs like that in my engine compartment and it works great.
Scott
[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01C6D0E4.B487D700[/img]

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:44 AM
Subject: RE: MurphyMoose-List: Cable routing--quick build wings?

Sorry folks...forgot to insert the picture of the conduit in my post yesterday. Thanks for reminding me Scott.

Ted

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01C6D0E4.B487D700[/img]

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Subject: RE: MurphyMoose-List: Cable routing--quick build wings?
Ted,

Ted Waltman
Quote:
[/b]
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
atronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.74 KB
 Viewed:  692 Time(s)

image002.jpg

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  662 Time(s)

image003.jpg

tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Cable routing--quick build wings? Reply with quote

Yes, it it just the ribs with the tighter zip-ties that exhibit the problem. Of course, there's no way to know what's loose or tight if one didn't see inside their wing before it was closed up.

I like your simple approach for the stand-offs.

Ted

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:14 PM

Ted, are any of the “looser” ones doing this? Just wondering if it is okay if they hadn’t pulled the wrap tie so tight?

Another way is to use a short piece of rubber hose as a stand off and still use the wrap tie. Wrap tie goes around whatever through the hose and then around the other whatever. I have a bunch of stand offs like that in my engine compartment and it works great.
Scott
[img]cid:763442818(at)05092006-1B19[/img]

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:44 AM

Ted

[img]cid:763442818(at)05092006-1B20[/img]

Ted,

Ted Waltman
Quote:
[/b]
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
atronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.74 KB
 Viewed:  679 Time(s)

image002.jpg

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  648 Time(s)

image003.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: