Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andair fuel valve leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Andair fuel valve leaking Reply with quote

Anybody else have an Andair fuel valve that lets fuel transfer from tank to tank with the valve in the off position?
This is a L-R-Both-Off valve, FS20X4.

I’ve written to Andair tech support twice with no response either time.

No impressed.
FWIW
Scott
[quote][b]

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List
tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Andair fuel valve leaking Reply with quote

Interesting about 1) their lack of response and 2) about the leak. Another experienced builder gave their valves high marks. Maybe I'll rethink out using them...

Thanks for the input.

Ted

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:30 PM
To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Andair fuel valve leaking

Anybody else have an Andair fuel valve that lets fuel transfer from tank to tank with the valve in the off position?

No impressed.
FWIW
Scott
[quote]

atronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Andair fuel valve leaking Reply with quote

I’ve always heard they were good valves – they must be as there are a lot out there?? I know Steve’s leaks also. If you fill one tank, overnight they will be level.

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted Waltman
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: MurphyMoose-List: Andair fuel valve leaking

Interesting about 1) their lack of response and 2) about the leak. Another experienced builder gave their valves high marks. Maybe I'll rethink out using them...

Thanks for the input.

Ted

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:30 PM
Subject: Andair fuel valve leaking

No impressed.
FWIW
Scott
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

KJKimball(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Andair fuel valve leaking Reply with quote

Scott,

Email with Andair can be slow. You would be better off calling Owen and talking to him.

We have used their valves in many installations and have never had a leak through issue. I did hear of one install done elsewhere that had a problem similar to what you are seeing. It seemed like a leak through the valve that was allowing the tanks to equalize in fuel level. As it turned out, the builder of that high wing airplane did not use individual vents for the 2 tanks. Instead he tied the two tanks together to a common vent and the fuel transfer was actually through the vent lines not the valve. If you have a left and right vent that are not connected, obviously, this cannot be the problem. If you do have the vents tied together or any other common tie between the tanks, you may have a bypass of the valve.

On another installation in a Pitts, the main tank drain and gascolator drain were connected together to a common quick drain on the belly. Seems like a simplt idea to eliminate one drain valve. The problem is that it created a loop for the fuel around the selector valve allowing fuel to flow although at a lower flow rate through th e1/4 drain lines. The engine ran and ran good enough for run up before take off. Luckily, the pilot noticed the fuel was off and the engine was running anyway and opted to check out why instead of fly anyway possibly running low on fuel at take off power.

You could test the valve and fuel system by capping the output port of the valve. Remove the line for one tank at the valve exposing that port.  Select the still attached tank and see if fuel leaks out the open port.  If it does, you have a valve issue. If not, you may have a system problem.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball, VP Engineering
Jim Kimball Enterprises, Inc.
PO Box 849, 5354 Cemetery Rd.
Zellwood, FL 32798
407-889-3451 phone
407-889-7168 fax
www.jimkimballenterprises.com
www.pittsmodel12.com

[quote][b]

ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Andair fuel valve leaking Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions Kevin. I know it is not a vent issue – I do have a vent in each tank and I do have a cross vent- however the cross vent goes from the high point in the tip of one tank to the high point of the other tip (a la Cessna).

Of course the valve is in a less than perfect spot to get at the lines but that is what I will have to do to check it out.

Thanks again,
Scott

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of KJKimball(at)aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: MurphyMoose-List: Andair fuel valve leaking

Scott,

Email with Andair can be slow. You would be better off calling Owen and talking to him.

We have used their valves in many installations and have never had a leak through issue. I did hear of one install done elsewhere that had a problem similar to what you are seeing. It seemed like a leak through the valve that was allowing the tanks to equalize in fuel level. As it turned out, the builder of that high wing airplane did not use individual vents for the 2 tanks. Instead he tied the two tanks together to a common vent and the fuel transfer was actually through the vent lines not the valve. If you have a left and right vent that are not connected, obviously, this cannot be the problem. If you do have the vents tied together or any other common tie between the tanks, you may have a bypass of the valve.

On another installation in a Pitts, the main tank drain and gascolator drain were connected together to a common quick drain on the belly. Seems like a simplt idea to eliminate one drain valve. The problem is that it created a loop for the fuel around the selector valve allowing fuel to flow although at a lower flow rate through th e1/4 drain lines. The engine ran and ran good enough for run up before take off. Luckily, the pilot noticed the fuel was off and the engine was running anyway and opted to check out why instead of fly anyway possibly running low on fuel at take off power.

You could test the valve and fuel system by capping the output port of the valve. Remove the line for one tank at the valve exposing that port. Select the still attached tank and see if fuel leaks out the open port. If it does, you have a valve issue. If not, you may have a system problem.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kimball, VP Engineering
Jim Kimball Enterprises, Inc.
PO Box 849, 5354 Cemetery Rd.
Zellwood, FL 32798
407-889-3451 phone
407-889-7168 fax
www.jimkimballenterprises.com
www.pittsmodel12.com

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: