Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Fellow Builders,
I have a dilemma, here is the synopsis…
I am currently working on the Left Tank and I have already drilled my Z brackets (thank you Dan for the easy way of doing it). I have clecoed together the Tank and the rear baffle to the tank. When I put the tank on the spar, there is a gap between the tank skin and top main skin. The gap looks like its somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16. I will see if I can get an exact measurement tonight, I am also going to attach the bottom main skin and see how that looks before I move forward.
I can also see where the holes that will be dimpled for the screws along the top of the spar are not exactly lined up with the hole in the nutplates (probably a distance equal to that gap I am talking about). The bottom tank attach holes look like they are lined up fine.
Also, the leading edge of the tank seems to sit about the thickness of the skin higher than the leading edge (just at the forward most portion where the tank and L/E meet). Other than that, there is no gap along the seam between the tank and L/E.
Any suggestions or insight will be greatly appreciated…Thank you
Scott & Jenni
RV-7A N696JS
Working on left tank [quote][b]

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
dan(at)rvproject.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Push down harder on the tank. I know that sounds too simple, but try it. Wink

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
www.rvproject.com / www.weathermeister.com
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Brad Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Scott,

Does the bottom picture on this page look familiar?
http://www.rv7factory.com/log/060110.html

I asked around too, and I discovered that this was a fairly common
issue. At the suggestion of another builder I was able to help the fit
somewhat by taking the nose of each of the tank ribs to the deburring
wheel to improve their roundness (is that a word?). In other words, by
smoothing out the noses of the ribs a little more, I was able to
slightly improve their fit into the skin.

I also used some ratcheting cargo straps to snug the tank skin to the
wing, and I was able to get the screw holes in the skin to align with
the holes in the spar without too much pressure. This really helped
with the alignment of the tank skin to LE skin correct prior to
drilling the W-423 joiner plates. You can see the straps on the wings
here... http://www.rv7factory.com/log/060114.html

Good luck!

Brad Oliver
Livermore, CA | RV-7
www.RV7Factory.com
[quote] ------

sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

When I do that I can close the gap where the main skin meets, I am concerned thought about stressing the skin when the tanks are mounted for good. Also nothing seems to help the slight gap near the point of the leading edge.

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Checkoway
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:26
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Question about Tanks

)_( Dan

RV-7 N714D

[quote]
---

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Scott R. Shook wrote:

Quote:
Fellow Builders,

I am currently working on the Left Tank and I have already drilled my
Z brackets (thank you Dan for the easy way of doing it). I have
clecoed together the Tank and the rear baffle to the tank. When I put
the tank on the spar, there is a gap between the tank skin and top
main skin. The gap looks like its somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16. I
will see if I can get an exact measurement tonight, I am also going to
attach the bottom main skin and see how that looks before I move forward.

I can also see where the holes that will be dimpled for the screws
along the top of the spar are not exactly lined up with the hole in
the nutplates (probably a distance equal to that gap I am talking
about). The bottom tank attach holes look like they are lined up fine.

Also, the leading edge of the tank seems to sit about the thickness of
the skin higher than the leading edge (just at the forward most
portion where the tank and L/E meet). Other than that, there is no gap
along the seam between the tank and L/E.

Scott & Jenni

RV-7A N696JS

Working on left tank

Did you have any trouble getting clecos through the tank skin into the
back baffle? Did all the clecos holding the skin to the ribs go in
smoothly & remain perpendicular to the skin around them? (not likely Smile
) Have you built & installed the outboard leading edges yet? Did you see
the same problem there?

If the rib flanges are standing up even a little it can push the baffle
back a bit (will get worse when you put the proseal in there). It's been
a while, but I think I saw something similar when I built my tanks, &
leading edges, as well. I think I used ratcheting strap clamps, aligned
over some of the ribs, to put some pressure on the tank/leading edge.
Use 2/4's or something similar to protect the trailing edge of the wing
skins & rear spar.

If moderate pressure on the straps pulls everything into alignment, try
coaxing the LE rib flanges a bit, both around curved portions & the back
flange.

Charlie

dan(at)rvproject.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Check to make sure your tank ribs are forced all the way into the nose of the tank skin. That's most likely what at least part of the problem is.

)_( Dan

[quote] ---

smittysrv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I had the same problem with my RV-9A left tank. I put the 1/8 clecos into
every hole where the screws go into the spar nutplate holes. Then I started
pulling down on each cleco starting at one end and working my way down the
line. Eventually the tank skin came down into position. More about it at:

http://smittysrv.com/more_stuff.asp?ID=343

Have a goodun!
Smitty
http://SmittysRV.com

Last edited by smittysrv on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Collins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

I actually disco vered this little problem and provided the solution to Van's some years ago.

jack up the rear spar and you'll hear it pop right into place.

there is a thread on the RV List some time ago where someone ground down the bottom of his Z brackets. He didn't need to do that. It's the small sag in the middle that's causing your problem.

Bob
st. Paul

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Checkoway
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:26 PM

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
[quote] ---

http://rvnewsletter.blogspot.com/
sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Actually the sag is not there, I have a jack screw in the center of the rear spar that brought everything nicely into place before I put the main skins on the skeleton. I will however break out the fishing line again and make sure my spars have not moved since having the skins on and drilled.

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Collins
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 12:37
Subject: RE: Question about Tanks

I actually disco vered this little problem and provided the solution to Van's some years ago.

there is a thread on the RV List some time ago where someone ground down the bottom of his Z brackets. He didn't need to do that. It's the small sag in the middle that's causing your problem.

Bob
st. Paul

)_( Dan

RV-7 N714D

[quote]
---

sshook(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions. I think my first order of business is to pull the tank, take it apart and re-check all my rib flanges and hole alignment (especially around the nose). I did in fact have trouble “wrestling” the tank together.

I know that before the ribs went in; the pre-punched holes were triple checked for straightness. I cleco clamped my ruler to them and they were dead nuts on.

We certainly appreciate all the advice and help everyone offers.

Scott & Jenni
RV-7A N696JS
Working on Left Tank

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott R. Shook
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:53
Subject: Question about Tanks

Fellow Builders,
I am currently working on the Left Tank and I have already drilled my Z brackets (thank you Dan for the easy way of doing it). I have clecoed together the Tank and the rear baffle to the tank. When I put the tank on the spar, there is a gap between the tank skin and top main skin. The gap looks like its somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16. I will see if I can get an exact measurement tonight, I am also going to attach the bottom main skin and see how that looks before I move forward.
I can also see where the holes that will be dimpled for the screws along the top of the spar are not exactly lined up with the hole in the nutplates (probably a distance equal to that gap I am talking about). The bottom tank attach holes look like they are lined up fine.
Also, the leading edge of the tank seems to sit about the thickness of the skin higher than the leading edge (just at the forward most portion where the tank and L/E meet). Other than that, there is no gap along the seam between the tank and L/E.
Scott & Jenni
RV-7A N696JS
Working on left tank
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Bob Collins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Yeah, so did I. But on the night went I couldn't get the darned thing to come down properly, I gave it half a crank and heard a "pop" as it fell into place. It's worth a try. it's worked for a lot of othr folks.

Bob

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott R. Shook
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:57 PM

Actually the sag is not there, I have a jack screw in the center of the rear spar that brought everything nicely into place before I put the main skins on the skeleton. I will however break out the fishing line again and make sure my spars have not moved since having the skins on and drilled.

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Collins

Bob
st. Paul

)_( Dan

RV-7 N714D

[quote]
---

Bob Collins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Is your gap the same all the way around? Especially along the splice joint? Or does it widen (or lessen) along the length of the tank or leading edge?

Bob

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:57 PM

Bob
st. Paul

)_( Dan

RV-7 N714D

[quote]
---

fstringham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Question about Tanks Reply with quote

Scott

It has been a while but I do remember I had a similar problem. I was able to
get them to a 64th gap. Was still determined to get them (aft edge tank to
leading edge of top skin to meet. So I called Van's and got
Ken................. he said , rather harshly, 'You don't want them to butt
to each other". "Why" I asked. "Because the paint will crack along the seam
line unless there is enoug room for the paint to fill the gap". My plane
isn't painted or flying yet so I can only take him at his word. I have found
him always to be correct when I follow his advice. Plus I have found that
many times I will take great pains to get everything nearly fiberglass
smooth when clecoed only to have a bit of a shift during riveting. So get it
close as possible with no stress and move on. Ain't it fun.

Frank (at) SGU and SLC.....wiring RV7A

[quote]From: "Scott R. Shook" <sshook(at)cox.net>
Reply-To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
To: <rv7-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:40:14 -0700

When I do that I can close the gap where the main skin meets, I am
concerned
thought about stressing the skin when the tanks are mounted for good. Also
nothing seems to help the slight gap near the point of the leading edge.

_____

[mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dan Checkoway
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:26

Push down harder on the tank. I know that sounds too simple, but try it.
Wink

)_( Dan

RV-7 N714D

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: