Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I flew today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fordm2003(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: I flew today Reply with quote

Well, I made it up today. I took a half day off in order to take advantage of this nice weather. Ive been watching the weather and the wind was forecast to die down to about 5 mph around 3pm, but it didn't. Not in Wausau anyway.

After preflight and engine warm up I headed out to runway 30.

I announced and was rolling on 30, then ping, I see a little cowling fastener pop off. I immediately aborted the take-off and back taxied. I taxied the plane off the runway, shut it off and parked the plane off the taxiway in the snow.

Dang.

Luckily, I only had to walk the first 1/10th of the runway when I happened to look back for traffic and saw a metallic glimmer. I had already passed that tiny fastener, but not by much.

Whew.

Well, I fastened it back in the cowl and once again prepared to take off.
I am still fairly new to my tail wheel Kitfox. I really didnt want to take off if the winds were going to be moderate crosswind, as I havent really had too much time practicing them. The practice that I did have was several months ago.
Well, after a safe, but fairly wobbly take-off, I was up in the air and found the air to be a little more turbulent than I was expecting.

I decided landing right now might not be the best thing. I knew I had plenty of fuel, so I decided to fly east for a while and practice maneuvers.
After about an hour of practice I was starting to get a pretty good feel for the plane again. The bumps where a little less at altitude, but I was also getting used to them.

After about an hour, the wind at Wausau still hadnt subsided. So, I decided to kill some time by flying over to Merrill. Merrills runways were a little more favorable given the wind direction. The wind was also a bit calmer there.
There was still a small crosswind at Merrill. After a slightly bouncy, but otherwise un-eventful landing at Merrill, I felt a bit more emboldened with crosswind landings.

After a short break at Merrill I headed back to Wausau. I was feeling much better about the crosswind landing to come.

The wind at Wausau was only slightly calmer than it had been earlier. However, I felt I could handle it. It was getting dark and Id rather put my bird back in her Wausau nest if possible.

I found downwind, base, and then a nice long final for 30. I wanted a long final so that I could get set up a ways out and get a good feel for the wind on approach. Again, I had a little bounce, but otherwise safe landing.
Ahh.

Another day, another couple of small crosswind landings under my belt.
THAT felt good!

Mike
Model IV speedster

---------------------------------

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: I flew today Reply with quote

Fun read, Thanks Mike

Lowell

Do not archive
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ppeerenbo(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: I flew today Reply with quote

Congratulations Mike. I am over in New London with a Model IV. Hope to see
you this summer.

Paul N102DG
---

ofd725(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: I flew today Reply with quote

Hey,
You guys should try flying south a couple of miles. We have got a S7 going together down here in Oshkosh with late spring being the target for completion.

Gary Olson

Paul Peerenboom <ppeerenbo(at)charter.net> wrote:

Congratulations Mike. I am over in New London with a Model IV. Hope to see
you this summer.

Paul N102DG
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: