Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British woman builds Spitfire in Garage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

The ultimate Homebuilder.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/4646888.stm
Basically a woman in England is building a MkII Spitfire in her garage and is looking for space. Now it's not that we British are all crazy but some things just have to be done regardless of the consequences. Please send this around it would be great to see her succeed. This would make a great article for Warbirds magazine.
Gus

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

Awsome!  Where did she get the plans? The Spit has always been one of my favorites! Even as a Yank!
Doc

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

RAF Conningsby which is the home of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

On the subject of the Battle of Britain I was bought, in the US for Christmas a special edition of the Movie. It is a two disc set the movie and extras. The movie is awesome anyway but the second disk justifies the cost on it's own. I describes how the flying sequences were done. During the filming the collected aircraft for the shooting was the 35th largest airforce in the world. The really sad part is that given modern movie making techniques a film like this will never be made again with real fire breathing aircraft. Even if you already have a copy of the movie get the special edition just for the documentaries, if you don't have a copy of THE BEST FLYING MOVIE EVERY MADE, shame on you...

Another interesting fact from the extras was that all the actors were paid the same low daily rate and they were lining up for a part as they all felt that it was important to make the film. Also Pappy they used a B-25 as the camera ship and they had it painted up in all sorts of psycadelic colors to avoid collision, but hey it was the sixties Smile))

At Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ASDFEK/qid=1138298959/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2079137-4777549?n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

Send the wife and kids out, turn up the sound system and prepare to go

dag-a-dag-a-dag-a, "whato Binki, cabbage crates over the briney" (translates to My good friend Binki there appear to be some nasty German planes coming over the English channel, would you like to join me in the air to engage them in aerial combat ?)

Gus

[quote] From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:33 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage

Awsome!  Where did she get the plans? The Spit has always been one of my favorites! Even as a Yank!
Doc

[quote] ---

ben(at)designselect.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

While I can’t argue with BoB being a great film, I’d vote for Piece of Cake having the best flight scenes for that period of film. 

Humbly,

Ben Marsh

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Fraser, Gus
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:13 AM
To: 'yak-list(at)matronics.com'

On the subject of the Battle of Britain I was bought, in the US for Christmas a special edition of the Movie. It is a two disc set the movie and extras. The movie is awesome anyway but the second disk justifies the cost on it's own. I describes how the flying sequences were done. During the filming the collected aircraft for the shooting was the 35th largest airforce in the world. The really sad part is that given modern movie making techniques a film like this will never be made again with real fire breathing aircraft. Even if you already have a copy of the movie get the special edition just for the documentaries, if you don't have a copy of THE BEST FLYING MOVIE EVERY MADE, shame on you...

Another interesting fact from the extras was that all the actors were paid the same low daily rate and they were lining up for a part as they all felt that it was important to make the film. Also Pappy they used a B-25 as the camera ship and they had it painted up in all sorts of psycadelic colors to avoid collision, but hey it was the sixties Smile))

At Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ASDFEK/qid=1138298959/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2079137-4777549?n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

dag-a-dag-a-dag-a, "whato Binki, cabbage crates over the briney" (translates to My good friend Binki there appear to be some nasty German planes coming over the English channel, would you like to join me in the air to engage them in aerial combat ?)

Gus [quote]

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp

Doc

[quote]
---

gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

Ben,
Great scenes in that movie also, even more amazing as they had hardly any aircraft to shoot it with.

Gus

[quote] From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ben Marsh
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:52 PM

While I can't argue with BoB being a great film, I'd vote for Piece of Cake having the best flight scenes for that period of film. 

Humbly,

Ben Marsh

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Fraser, Gus
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:13 AM
To: 'yak-list(at)matronics.com'

Gus [quote]

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp

Doc

[quote]
---

brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

Fraser, Gus wrote:
Quote:
> The ultimate Homebuilder.
>
>_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/4646888.stm_
>

Quote:
Basically a woman in England is building a MkII Spitfire in her
garage and is looking for space. Now it's not that we British are all
crazy but some things just have to be done regardless of the
consequences. Please send this around it would be great to see her
succeed. This would make a great article for Warbirds magazine.

Gerry Beck in Whapeton, ND, has tooling to build P-51A and P-51B
airframes. He was thinking of making a fast-build kit that would be 100%
faithful to the North American P-51A using a new old-stock Allison
engine. If one went that route it would be licensed as
Experimental/amateur-built instead of Experimental/exhibition.

Something to think about if you want the ultimate home-built.

--
Brian Lloyd 2243 Cattle Dr.
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage Reply with quote

Too bad he did not do the quick built kit. Not sure he would have made
money on it though.
Doc
Quote:
[Original Message]
To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 1/26/2006 7:07:46 PM
Subject: Re: British woman builds Spitfire in Garage

Fraser, Gus wrote:
> > The ultimate Homebuilder.
> >
> >_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/4646888.stm_
> >

> Basically a woman in England is building a MkII Spitfire in her
> garage and is looking for space. Now it's not that we British are all
> crazy but some things just have to be done regardless of the
> consequences. Please send this around it would be great to see her
> succeed. This would make a great article for Warbirds magazine.

Gerry Beck in Whapeton, ND, has tooling to build P-51A and P-51B
airframes. He was thinking of making a fast-build kit that would be 100%
faithful to the North American P-51A using a new old-stock Allison
engine. If one went that route it would be licensed as
Experimental/amateur-built instead of Experimental/exhibition.

Something to think about if you want the ultimate home-built.

--
Brian Lloyd 2243 Cattle Dr.
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: