Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 blade props
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Of the 24+ RV-10s flying, is there anyone besides Vic and Noel with a three blade combination.  It would be nice to hear some performance details before another sales pitch is posted on the list.  I understood Randy had a reconditioned prop, Doug what are you running?  I assume Scott and Tim are going with the new Hartzell C2YR-1BF/F8068D.

Would you guys speak up and identify what you are now flying with or going to be flying with?

John - KUAO

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
LessDragProd(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Mark Chamberlain just flew his RV-10 for the first time this week.  He is flying with the 3 blade MT Propeller.

Jim Ayers

In a message dated 01/26/2006 9:34:35 PM Pacific Standard Time, johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com writes:
Quote:

Of the 24+ RV-10s flying, is there anyone besides Vic and Noel with a three blade combination.  It would be nice to hear some performance details before another sales pitch is posted on the list.  I understood Randy had a reconditioned prop, Doug what are you running?  I assume Scott and Tim are going with the new Hartzell C2YR-1BF/F8068D.
Would you guys speak up and identify what you are now flying with or going to be flying with?
John - KUAO

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

acs(at)acspropeller.com.a

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Keep this in mind when you’re choosing a prop.

1) Older blade designs had a comparatively larger cross section inboard, mainly for the support of the outer sections and contributing little in thrust.
2) Some newer design blades have stronger and thinner inboard sections adding more working blade length to the thrust contribution.
3) There haven’t been any huge leaps in technology for propeller efficiency.
4) The swept back tip or “scimitar” design concept was partially developed to reduce “fly over” noise mainly for the more noise sensitive markets. The benefit of this was to reduce tip noise/vortices, reduce drag, increase performance. This was an addition to the “Q”-tip design where the tips were bent at 90 degrees to the blade but wasn’t a huge seller because of the “bingled” prop look.
5) One of the earlier design quests for a three bladed prop was to achieve the same overall blade area as the two blade prop but in a smaller package, with the benefit being a reduced diameter and because of the more slender shorter blade; you could have a thinner shank area and therefore more blade working for you per item 2)
6) One of the reasons blades grew from two to three and so on was more an issue with the engine. A question of absorbing increased HP. As the HP grew it was impractical to have a huge diameter prop because of ground clearance, torque issues, tip speed and so on. Think of the early Spitfire and the later versions. In our case, we don’t have any huge engine differences to contain, so if you’re comparing a two blade prop with a three blade prop on the same engine output the questions you have to ask are based more on engine output, weight, drag, surface area, tip vortices, appearance, balance, vibration and so on. The question of 2 blade vs 3 blade isn’t really relevant.
7) For what it’s worth, over the years aircraft owners and pilots have reported back, that a two bladed prop on the same aircraft, same engine, is a better cruise performer than a three.
Cool The newer generation “scimitar” three blade props have been selling well to parachuting ops and the like as they report better climb performances.
9) Following a good dynamic balance, the three bladed props can be exceptionally smooth.
10) On the negative, damage to the composite blades where a stone might breach the edge shield can involve replacement of the entire edge because of de-bonding and moisture being drawn behind the shield. On the positive, you can lose a huge chunk of your MT prop and still have it repaired! You may not even need a bulk strip of the engine. Touch a tip on a Hartzell prop and you may need to throw the prop away and bulk strip the engine.
11) In my opinion, both companies offer a great product.

What prop am I going to put on my -10?

I don’t know,

I thought I’d wait to hear someone with some idea make the call.

$0.02

John
40315# (more important stuff like carpet colors. Wink

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John W. Cox
Sent: Friday, 27 January 2006 3:33 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: 3 blade props

John - KUAO

deruiteraircraftservices(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

10) On the negative, damage to the composite blades where a stone might breach the edge shield can involve replacement of the entire edge because of de-bonding and moisture being drawn behind the shield. On the positive, you can lose a huge chunk of your MT prop and still have it repaired! You may not even need a bulk strip of the engine. Touch a tip on a Hartzell prop and you may need to throw the prop away and bulk strip the engine.

Lycoming say that a prop that hits long grass is reason for a Shockload Inspection.This has become evident through their service bulletins and AD's recently published.  I take it this is what you refer to as a Bulk Strip?
The fact that a composite blade can be repaired after extensive damage is not a sound enough reason not to inspect the  engine, in fact this is a rather danferous attitude, if not to yourself, it is to unwary people below your flightpath and most certainly to those people who come aboard your aircraft as passengers.

Let us not forget that the material specs some of the crankshaft and associated parts are over 30 -40 years old, and therefore do not posess the strenght of materials of more invention. I do most certainly agree that some of the service bulletins are somewhat overkill, but on the otherhand, look at the recall of crankshafts being replaced free of charge by Lycoming under SB566, I don't think in light of that particular SB the staement at the top is a safe one. I know carrying out SB's can be expensive, but it's something that safety has no matter what industries you're looking at.

Generally a 3-blade prop is slightly finer pitched than a two blade prop. This makes the 3-blade perform better during groundroll and climb than the two blade prop.

acs(at)acspropeller.com.a

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

I'm certainly not advocating any advice on prop strikes, ground or foreign
object strike and what you should do about the engine inspection.
The list of possibilities is endless, including long grass as you point out,
puddles of standing water and a swarm of angry bees. That information is
written in the literature by the manufacturers and take your own advice from
your own engineer who knows.

I make the point that some composite blades can have large repairs, even
splice repairs to tips is possible and therefore all is not necessarily lost
with your expensive investment. Due to the tendency to shatter or grind down
easily, it's possible to have minimum loads transferred to the hub unit and
hence the crank. Not so in a Hartzell compact metal prop. The load transfers
directly to the pre-load shelf ( the shoulder on which the blade is loaded
against to eliminate blade shake) of the hub and it doesn't take much to
damage and is reason enough to scrap the hub.

Any strike is serious stuff, and demands careful and thorough analysis.

John 40315

---

johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Mr. Dunne,

Thank you for the comprehensive overview.  However my question is one of Who is installing What on the RV-10 Currently.  I only know of Vic and Noel, and was wondering first person reports from the field of more than 544 builders that I am tracking. Noel is representing the additional Hollywood HP of his N325HP special powerplant and I suspect Vic’s beautiful engine is pumping more than 260 at SL (from the grin on his face).  Another great subject.

As of right now, no one has fessed up to what they are installing, so I believe the flock is following the Mantra from Home. I can here the whispers now.  “Don’t stray far from Home, Luke”.

Financial considerations may be the reason.  I just wanted a head count.  It may be too early for a clear response.

Okay Jim, can you publish your client list on the MT 3 blade package? Or are they all sworn to secrecy until certified Experimental flying RV-10s.

John - KUAO

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Dunne
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:56 PM
Subject: RE: 3 blade props

I don’t know,

$0.02

John

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John W. Cox

John - KUAO

CJohnston(at)popsound.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Hey all –

Just to add to the question – and forgive my ignorance – why doesn’t anyone consider hartzell or other aluminum 3 blade props?  I notice that there are a few of them.  Every time there is a discussion about 3 blade props, it usually boils down to composite versus aluminum, and ease of service in the field.  Isn’t there a comparable aluminum 3 blade prop out there that is acceptable for the mission? 

cj
wings
www.perfectlygoodairplane.net   

--

mritter509(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

No secret.  I have the MT three blade prop mounted on my RV-10 which I hope to have flying in 6 - 9 months.  Main considerations were light weight, smooth operation and it looks good.  I understand all the cons of the MT three blade so let's not start a war.
Mark (40043)

Quote:
Reply-To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:09:26 -0800

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} p.MsoAutoSig, li.MsoAutoSig, div.MsoAutoSig {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} span.emailstyle17 {font-family:Arial;color:windowtext;} span.EmailStyle19 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} span.EmailStyle20 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
Mr. Dunne,

Thank you for the comprehensive overview.  However my question is one of Who is installing What on the RV-10 Currently.  I only know of Vic and Noel, and was wondering first person reports from the field of more than 544 builders that I am tracking. Noel is representing the additional Hollywood HP of his N325HP special powerplant and I suspect Vic’s beautiful engine is pumping more than 260 at SL (from the grin on his face).  Another great subject.

As of right now, no one has fessed up to what they are installing, so I believe the flock is following the Mantra from Home. I can here the whispers now.  “Don’t stray far from Home, Luke”.

Financial considerations may be the reason.  I just wanted a head count.  It may be too early for a clear response.

Okay Jim, can you publish your client list on the MT 3 blade package? Or are they all sworn to secrecy until certified Experimental flying RV-10s.

John - KUAO

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John Dunne

I don’t know,

$0.02

John

John - KUAO

bhughes(at)qnsi.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

I ordered my MT 3 blade as well. Us Austin TX RV10 builders have to stick together. Of course mine is electric.  I looked at your project last weekend while helping Steitle with his Lancair. I think you could be ready by May.

Bobby Hughes

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Ritter
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 1:10 PM

--> RV10-List message posted by: "Mark Ritter"
No secret.  I have the MT three blade prop mounted on my RV-10 which I hope to have flying in 6 - 9 months.  Main considerations were light weight, smooth operation and it looks good.  I understand all the cons of the MT three blade so let's not start a war.
Mark (40043)

[quote] From: "John W. Cox" <johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:09:26 -0800

(at)page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman' } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman' } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman' } P.MsoAutoSig { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman' } LI.MsoAutoSig { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman' } DIV.MsoAutoSig { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman' } SPAN.emailstyle17 { COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial } SPAN.EmailStyle19 { COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial } SPAN.EmailStyle20 { COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 }
Mr. Dunne,

John - KUAO

I don’t know,

$0.02

John

John - ======================================================= Features Navigator Photoshare, and much http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List =========================-Matt ====================================

10flyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Okay! I'll fess up. I flew for the first time this week (40016) and have the 3 blade MT from Jim Ayers on my 10. Way to early (7hrs) (no wheel pants) for any kind of numbers but I can tell you my first impressions. It runs very smooth. Most people so far say it sounds more like an electric motor and it feels more like one on the inside. I had someone check the balance and no adjustment was necessary it was well below norm specs. The main reasons I went with the MT was primarily the 18-20 lbs I saved up front on a nose heavy airplane, the smoothness in which it operates, and obviously the looks. I AM interested in performance, but if someone gets to where were going a few minutes earlier than me just because my prop is slower, OH WELL!! When you factor in building technique, rigging, which muffler system your using(Rvator article) you can argue the #'s all day long. I wanted less weight, smoother operation and especially, that sexy 3 blade look. If I'm not happy in a year or so, I'll put a diff prop on. My suggestion to everyone is to go with your instincts and building criteria and stop worrying so much about what the other guy has. Mark C. (Temecula, CA)

10flyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

I think the 3 blade Hartzell is about 12-14K.

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

I’ve got a surplus 6-bladed prop from a C-130J I think I’ll try . . .

TDT
Do not archive !

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Chamberlain
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: 3 blade props

Okay! I'll fess up. I flew for the first time this week (40016) and have the 3 blade MT from Jim Ayers on my 10. Way to early (7hrs) (no wheel pants) for any kind of numbers but I can tell you my first impressions. It runs very smooth. Most people so far say it sounds more like an electric motor and it feels more like one on the inside. I had someone check the balance and no adjustment was necessary it was well below norm specs. The main reasons I went with the MT was primarily the 18-20 lbs I saved up front on a nose heavy airplane, the smoothness in which it operates, and obviously the looks. I AM interested in performance, but if someone gets to where were going a few minutes earlier than me just because my prop is slower, OH WELL!! When you factor in building technique, rigging, which muffler system your using(Rvator article) you can argue the #'s all day long. I wanted less weight, smoother operation and especially, that sexy 3 blade look. If I'm not happy in a year or so, I'll put a diff prop on. My suggestion to everyone is to go with your instincts and building criteria and stop worrying so much about what the other guy has. Mark C. (Temecula, CA)

Randy(at)abros.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Congrat's Mark. I was wondering what the latest was. We haven't talked on the phone for awhile. Enjoy that plane.  Randy 40006

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Chamberlain
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 1:12 PM

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

We want pictures!

TDT
Do not archive , bitte.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Randy DeBauw
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 4:48 PM

Congrat's Mark. I was wondering what the latest was. We haven't talked on the phone for awhile. Enjoy that plane.  Randy 40006

Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 1:12 PM

Kellym

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

So what are you seeing for cruise performance? Somewhere close to what
Van's claims, or???

Mark Ritter said:
Quote:

No secret. I have the MT three blade prop mounted on my RV-10 which I
hope to have flying in 6 - 9 months. Main considerations were light
weight, smooth operation and it looks good. I understand all the cons of
the MT three blade so let's not start a war.
Mark (40043)

Kellym

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Oops, misread that...thought you were already flying 6-9 months...never mind
Do Not Archive

Kelly McMullen said:
Quote:

So what are you seeing for cruise performance? Somewhere close to what
Van's claims, or???

Mark Ritter said:
>
>
> No secret. I have the MT three blade prop mounted on my RV-10 which I
> hope to have flying in 6 - 9 months. Main considerations were light
> weight, smooth operation and it looks good. I understand all the cons
> of
> the MT three blade so let's not start a war.
> Mark (40043)

dav1111(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Me too, but I plan to fly in May!!

Russ Daves
[quote] ---

LessDragProd(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Hi John,

I don't have a complete list.  There are around 20 US MT Propeller assembly/sales facilities.
And believe it, or not; Van's Aircraft is selling the 3 blade MT Propeller for the RV-10, also.

Besides, after the way some of you treated each other in the past, it would probably be poor form to provide a list.

I have an idea.  Why don't we all just meet at Oshkosh and see who has which propeller on their RV-10?

Regards,
Jim Ayers

In a message dated 01/27/2006 9:13:41 AM Pacific Standard Time, johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com writes:
(Stuff Cut)
Quote:

John - KUAO

dav1111(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

I plan on being at OSH 2006 with my RV-10, knock on wood.

Russ Daves
#40044 Canopy on.
[quote] ---

mritter509(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: 3 blade props Reply with quote

Russ - With a little luck I might make OSH 2006.  I have really enjoyed working with Jim Ayers on the three blade MT prop -  hope I can meet him in person at OSH.  If you get down to Austin give me a call (I have a an extra National Football Championship caps if you will wear it in Texas Tech country).  There is one other RV-10 being built in Austin with a rotary engine.
Hook-em Horns

[quote] From: "Russell Daves" <dav1111(at)cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 04:59:17 -0600

I plan on being at OSH 2006 with my RV-10, knock on wood.

Russ Daves
#40044 Canopy on.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: