Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuclear waste and Us vs. the Government (was: Radium) [some

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyre1(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Nuclear waste and Us vs. the Government (was: Radium) [some Reply with quote

You know, one nice thing about nuclear "waste" is that about 99% of the
      energy is still in it. In 20-50 years it might be nice to have all that
      stored energy ready to recycle and not have to go to some other country
      to buy it again. Think "energy independence".

Analogy: do you ever play the game of "Hearts"? The Queen of Spades is a
      bad thing to have. Some people pass it away at the beginning but my
      strategy is to keep it in order to have control over who gets it instead
      of me. I would much rather have the nuclear waste under our control than
      someone else's. I wouldn't even mind living next to it.

OK Yakkers, fair warning right here that Brian and I are going to begin a fun verbal sparring match that does have something to do with keeping our warbirds flying, but will likely stray off onto another philosophical tangent. Let's start with remembering that our concern here is with the Feds basically grounding our aircraft due to "parts no longer available." They are killing off previously legal businesses that supply us with the parts at an affordable price and damaging these good people who have been providing them.

The point of my last posting was to provide what I thought might be potential legal ammunition in our arsenal to fight this battle should the membership choose to do so.  We may want to do this before the whole thing spins out of control and gets too big to fight. 

Brian, if you're right about the recycling of nuclear waste into a viable form of energy independence in our lifetimes, then I will apologize and owe you a nice steak dinner. I don't think that the states that are reaping the benefits of producing it or the Japanese believe that or they would be keeping it in their own back yards as we speak. We object to taking the risk for their profits.  Where did you say you live? I'll tell them that you're anxious to live next to the stuff and you can take the goodies. 

> What makes it worse is the fact that these storage facilities aren't
      > exactly well contained or secure. This also makes our City a more
      > attractive site for potential terrorist activity.

Uh, is this an example of the, "I don't need to outrun the bear; I only
      need to outrun you;" attitude? We want to make sure it is someone else's
      city that is more attractive to terrorists in order to feel safe?

I prefer the, "catch them, shoot them, drop their bodies in a ditch and
      throw dirt on them," approach to dealing with terrorists instead of
      running, hiding, or pretending that we are actually dealing with
      terrorist effectively. (The latter is the Bush administration's approach.)

My position, again, is that the city that stirred up the bear should keep it in their own back yard instead of chasing it into ours. I just don't believe in stuffing a nice juicy steak down my britches while trying to outrun the bear. I personally believe that any decisions that are made out of fear or anger will be bad decisions.

No, I'm not afraid to confront terrorists, and this is not what's running my mouth. On the contrary, that's why during the years following 911  I voluntarily was chosen and went to the first class of Federal Flight deck Officers trained at the Law Enforcement Academy in Glynco Georgia. We were specifically taught how and when to responsibly "stop" (kill) terrorists in the act. I deliberately chose to fly the "bad guys missiles of choice (Boeing 767/757) to their targets of choice ( NYC/ LGA/BOS/EWR/DC/and LAX). Not because I was "looking for trouble", but because with this training and 19 years of martial arts, I felt that I was best equipped to handle it successfully and identify it before it happened again.

You also mentioned the thousands of people in India that were
killed and affected by the transport and spills of dangerous chemicals through populated areas. Point granted and we are all well aware of this. In this case it's a nationwide battle here that none of us are likely to win, so we pretty much have to fight small issues and live with it. Nuclear waste presents a very real potential to not only kill thousands immediately, but to render that area uninhabitable for hundreds of years with no viable clean up recourse that I know of. Dead is dead.

In aviation, waiting until you have a body count before you address a problem is not an acceptable means of handling it. You are exactly right in posing the question of "Are you willing to Handle it?" when referring to the huge amount of cash and legal governmental backing that we may be going up against. That was the question that I posed to the list as to whether this particular battle had enough long term and far reaching consequences to justify the sacrifices. Then, what do we have in the way of an effective arsenal to fight with?

All I know is that it's a sure bet that the societies that live in fear of standing up to the wrongs their governments attempt to perpetrate on them are no longer in existence. As I said before, let's choose our battles carefully, all things reviewed, and make our decisions based on those facts.

For anyone who has managed to slog through Brian and my philosophical rants, I hope that your coffee is still warm and that you had fun too. I'm out now because I have a lot to learn about CJs and Yaks from those of you who are putting out some good stuff about the machines. Brian included, he always has a wealth of information to impart. (The rants really are kind of fun though aren't they? I always learn something there too, even if I may not agree. Dissent is good.)
       Thanks Brian. By the way, where do you want me to send that stuff again? You live in California don't -cha? (LOL)

- Val (I really did try to keep this short)          

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: