Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just thinking out loud here, wondering about possible aircraft configurations. I've found a 2-seat tube and fabric airplane kit I really like. It's got a gross weight of 1550 lbs and a useful load of 900 lbs (about 790 w/full fuel) and a really large cargo area.

Presuming weight and balance limits are observed, what are the implications of someone adding a second row of seats in the cargo area for occasional passengers? Would one need to insure this aircraft as a four-seater? Are we just asking for trouble? Would one be better off building a true 4-seat aircraft instead?

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

- The Matronics Homebuilt-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Homebuilt-List

Mytyweav(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Way too vague Chris..... Stop screwing around and let the people know
what airplane you are really considering. Then you can get the appropriate
response.
Weav
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Alrighty... Just Aircraft Highlander...

Best regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

So..... a bigger Kitfox and you are considering making it a four place?
Does the airplane use a Rotax 912S or something else for power? The airframe
is probably strong enough but have you penciled out a CG result?
Are you considering these mods so you can carry small kids?
Finally, what are you planning on doing with the airplane? Just small local
flights with your wife and kids sightseeing or do you intend on loading it
up and going somewhere?
Weav
---

dfultz7(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Unless you are an engineer if it were meant to be marketed as a four place I
am sure they would have tried to grab that part of the market also. Seats,
seat belts, and any other additions takes away from useful load. Just my
opinion. Dale

J2j3h4(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

As Dale said, the amenities take away from the useful load. You will also need seat belts and brackets and may have to reinforce the belt attach points (don't forget to consider G-loads). If the cargo area does not have a sturdy floor, you will also need to provide that. Also access to the area does look to be difficult, as far as a passenger getting into it. These alone are probably the reasons they don't market it as a 4 place.

If you have considered all of these, can stay within W&B limits, and still want to do it, I see no reason why you can't. That's what experimental aircraft are all about. I read the specs on the plane and they are very impressive.

I assume you are either talking about hauling children or you and your copilot are very small people.

Jim (an engineer)

In a message dated 9/17/2006 10:51:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time, dfultz7(at)earthlink.net writes:
Quote:
--> Homebuilt-List message posted by: "Dale Fultz" <dfultz7(at)earthlink.net>

Unless you are an engineer if it were meant to be marketed as a four place I
am sure they would have tried to grab that part of the market also. Seats,
seat belts, and any other additions takes away from useful load. Just my
opinion. Dale e the es Day --> - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
bsp; --> nbsp; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= ; p; - List Contribution Web Site ;   =========================

[quote][b]

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Any seats that would reside in the rear would, indeed, be for kids, and for short, local flying. There aren't any windows back there, so sightseeing would probably be out (although one could probably put some in if one were creative). If I were to load it up for camping or what-not, it would likely only be for two people since I suspect cargo and people in that area would get really crowded. Short of the specifications, there's not a lot of information online about the aircraft, so speculation is all I have to go on, hence the questions. The specs do call out the 100HP Rotax 912.

Good answer regarding the cargo area floor and seat belt requirements. These are types of things I'm looking to learn about being a newcomer to the field.

I'm sure you're right, in that if there was a market for a 4-place aircraft in this style it would have already been done. There are 4-place aircraft purpose built for the type of flying that the Highlander does, but they are much heavier, use larger engines, and are subsequently more expensive to operate.

Just looking to see if there's a way to maximize ROI on this type of aircraft.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

---

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Chris.... There are plenty of people at Waunakee that know about this
stuff. Are you located on the airpark? If not, you might want to go hang
out there and talk to some people.
The Highlander is probably a good airplane and the Rotax is wonderful....
If you don't have much experience in these types of airplanes, you should
spend some time bs'ing with some people that do.
BTW, your kids won't get any fun out of sitting in a dungeon... If you
elect to do your thing, put in some windows so they can look out and
enjoy...
That's what flying is all about...........
Weav

---

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

I live really close to the Waunakee airport, but don't know anyone that lives on it except for one I met that's a member of the airport association when they were selling hangars. He's a nice guy. There aren't a lot of people that "hang out", per se, at the Waunakee airport.

I have recently joined the EAA chapter out at the Middleton airport (Morey Field), and there are some enthusiastic members out there. I'm sure I'll learn lots from those guys and gals.

Thanks again for your insight. It's greatly appreciated Smile

Best regards,
Chris

luther b green

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Chris have you looked at the Bearhawk or Bearhawk patrol?
Bryan Green (Elgin SC)
Sonex #929
---

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Hi Bryan,

I have looked at the Bearhawk, actually. It's a very nice plane. The one thing that concerns me about the Bearhawk (and it's the only thing) is float capability. My ultimate goal is to fly floats one day, and according to their information, although it's likely a good candidate for floats, it wasn't specifically designed for it. The designer said it would need to be strengthened up in a few areas. Perhaps that's a customization one could have them make before building the airframe. But I suppose one could ask. All they can do is say no, right? Smile

Thanks for the note Smile

Best regards,
Chris

Bob H

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

With only 100hp and 1550lb gross, the plane will have climb performance like a C-150 at gross. You could do it but not to fly into high altitude airports as getting out would be risky. So if you are always flying in flatlands, might get by.
I live at 7000' and our airport usually gets at least a plane a year going down on takeoff because of insufficient power vs weight. A C-150 will climb out at around 100fpm here; not much margin for gusts or downdrafts.
Bob H

Chris In Marshfield

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Semantics question: 3 or 4 seats in a 2-seat aircraft? Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight Bob.

Following the replies here and the advice of some other builders, I've decided to build a 4-place airplane so I can haul people and "stuff" appropriately. I've selected the Barrows Bearhawk, have the plans in hand, and am excited about getting started.

I've got a lot of learning to do prior to the start of all this good stuff and have signed up for the sheet metal course in Oshkosh at the end of January. Seems like the best option since I'll be working on the wings first.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

Best regards,
Chris

Bob H wrote:
With only 100hp and 1550lb gross, the plane will have climb performance like a C-150 at gross. You could do it but not to fly into high altitude airports as getting out would be risky. So if you are always flying in flatlands, might get by.
I live at 7000' and our airport usually gets at least a plane a year going down on takeoff because of insufficient power vs weight. A C-150 will climb out at around 100fpm here; not much margin for gusts or downdrafts.
Bob H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: