Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archermj(at)swbell.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

I have a Jabiru 3300 and have a 702-1 starter contactor from B&C. I have a question about the solenoid supplied with the Jabiru. I am considering just hooking up the 702-1 contactor directly to the starter. It looks like the "solenoid" supplied by Jabiru is really just another contactor. It is wired and works the same as the 702-1 but with out the diode. I am planning on hooking up the contactor similar to what is depicted in aeroelectric Z-20. There it has the lead off of the 702-1 contactor hooked to the Jabiru solenoid. It sure looks to me that all I will be doing is putting two contactors in series. I am not sure of the value in this. I am considering just leaving off the Jabiru solenoid and connecting the 702-1 directly to the starter.

Is this smart or is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Matt
www.zodiacxl.com
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
andy(at)suncoastjabiru.co

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Matt,

As others have said, you want to have the Jabiru-supplied solenoid (contactor) wired only for the engine starter. The starter will pull up to 700 amps on initial contact and if there’s any additional resistance in the starter circuit it will degrade starting performance. If you want to fit a master relay for other panel power, keep it separate.

Hope this helps, Andy

Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.

39248 South Ave. Zephyrhills, FL 33542
Tel: 813 779 2324 Fax: 813 779 2246
www.suncoastjabiru.com

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

I suppose I should keep my mouth shut, but in case there are other folks who are daunted by the diagram Modified Z-16, I want to affirm your desire for simplicity. I am impressed by the efforts of Vozzen and Rico. I dont mind the efforts of electical engineers to plan for every possible failure mode. I understand that some experimental aircraft builders want to build an electrical system to rival any of the General Aviation fleet.

But there is another strategy. If you are careful about the avionics you purchase, use some common sense and dont install a comprehensive lighting system ( how badly do you want to crash at night? .... if you dont have lights you wont be tempted..) and are willing to just read your own voltmeter, you can have a simple system that can be installed in a few hours instead of a few months.

It is ok to use a couple toggle switches for your ignition kills. It is ok to just run breaker switches or switch and fuse to a couple radios.  If you keep your electical loads down, then you dont need much of an alternator. As you may know, if you have too big a load on the Jabiru alternator, you can crispy the stator. You can add another seperate alternator, but why would you want to?

The notion of a solonoid operated by a master switch sounds good, but if the wire or coil in it goes south, so does your electrical power.   That may balance the possiblity of shorting the big wire to the starter solonoid.

If you are building a small, high performance bird like a Sonex and want to make it IFR, by all means design and build as complicated an electrical system as possible. May I suggest autopilot, a Garmin radio stack,  electrical gyros and a seat warmer? The extra time it takes to build all that will prolong your life just that much longer.

I am just saying that IN MY OPINION, it is perfectly OK to only have a couple circuits. One for the start, one for the radios and one for a couple other small things. If you are a bit paranoid, then include a switch in the charging circuit so you can shut off the alternator power to the battery if your volt meter gets too high. Hook the power circuits to the post on the starter solonoid that the big battery cable goes to...just so it is easier to disconnect the battery. It is true that if the solonoid sticks, you will have some drama while the starter twirls the engine until the battery dies...but when is the last time your car did that to you? It is wired the same way. Just buy a new start solonoid every 500 hours or so. That should preclude the arcing from dirt.

Ok, so let the reactions begin. I'm sure I deserve to be flamed.

Doug Koenigsberg
[quote][b]

Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-greno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Doug,
Quote:
Hook the power circuits to the post on the starter solonoid that
the big battery cable goes to...just so it is easier to disconnect the
battery. It is true that if the solonoid sticks, you will have some
drama while the starter twirls the engine until the battery dies...

The use of a battery contactor (be it relay or manually actuated) is
mainly related to fire hazard. What is the rationale for keeping an
always hot fat wire and not being able to to cope with a sticking
starter solenoid ? Does it really bring any advantage over
state-of-the-art aviation architecture ?
Quote:
but when is the last time your car did that to you?

Hmm, there have been some starter issues.
I'll try to stay away from car related "when is the last times" about
Jabiru.
Maybe when the dust settles down and those SBs are relaxed Wink

Best regards,
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr

Quote:
I

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/8/2006 7:08:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr writes:
Quote:

Doug,
Quote:

Quote:

Jabiru.

Best regards,
Gilles

[quote][b]

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Bonjour Gilles,

I am the proud USA importer of the French kit airplane, the Sky Ranger! Phillippe Prevot of Best Off has done a great job of designing a strong, light, quick to build craft. ( see www.skyranger.net or our website, www.skyrangeraircraft.com )

My thoughts are from my experience with installing a Jabiru 2200 in a Sky Ranger and a 3300 in a Lightning.

I just run the large power wire about 6" to the starter solenoid. I would attached fused or breaker protected circuits from the post there to elsewhere. If one of them were to short, I would expect protection to kick in or if it shorted on the way to the breaker, I would expect the wire to just fry without much damage. The runs are short and the firewall penetration carefully protected.

I note that the same large 6" wire would go to the master solenoid and then another 6" wire would to to the Jab start solenoid. No real difference in protection for the large wire. In either case it has a 6" unprotected run. But if the master solenoid, which must be continously held in place by current were to experience low voltage, coil failure, switch failure or a wire break then all power would be lost......unless one has a backup circuit that bypasses the master....which is the situation I began at. I understand that popular aviation thought is in love with the master solenoid, but I am wondering if it adds complexity and vulnerability to solve an unlikely problem...on very simple light airplanes. I like them more on GA airplanes with their 60 -100 amp circuits with retractable gear, lights, dog polishers and window foggers.

Part of my other work involves control circuits in ground equipment and they do short out and melt down. The damage is minimal usually for small guage wires...the sizes used for 10 amps or less. Of course a short can cause a fire but there must be combustables nearby and the insulation must be combustable. Otherwise a brief arc, a brief smell and it is all over.

If a starter solenoid actually stuck, it will just keep turning the engine untill the battery power is drained or the starter melts down. While disconcerting, it would happen on the ground and be over quickly.   No so if your master solenoid craps out in the air. You lose radios, EIS, intercom, flaps and whatever else you power. Worse, you may not be able to replace it easily on the ground. Without it you could not start up and fly somewhere for another one.

I mentioned the failure of an auto start solonoid because the Jab part is one!. Jabiru tries to use common auto parts where possible.

Ca va?

Doug

In a message dated 12/8/2006 7:08:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr writes:
Quote:
--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr>

Doug,
Quote:

Quote:

Jabiru.

Best regards,
Gilles

Quote:
sp; (And Get Some AWESOME FREE find fts ic you for nbsp; -Matt Dralle, List = Use lities Day --> =====

[quote][b]

grant.piper(at)bigpond.co

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

I'm a late starter to this topic, but I applaud Doug's pleas to keep it simple. Less things, less to go wrong. My RV-4 with Lyc has a Datsun alternator, Odyssey battery and no lights or gyros at all. It is legal at that. I do use a Master relay, but eliminated the separate starter relay when I saw that my starter had a piggyback relay as per a car. Yes, my starter cable is 'live' all the time the Master is on, but if I have a short I can isolate it by switching the Master off. Yes, I will lose all power, but it is a VFR aircraft so that isn't a biggie.

Keep it simple, spend the dollars saved on avgas, and go flying this year instead of the next.

Grant Piper
RV-4 VH-PIO 260hrs.
SAAA (TC)
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Grant,

Quote:
Yes, my starter cable is 'live' all the time the Master is on, but
if I have a short I can isolate it by switching the Master off. Yes,
I will lose all power, but it is a VFR aircraft so that isn't a biggie.

Correct. This is how any aircraft should be wired.

Quote:

Keep it simple, spend the dollars saved on avgas, and go flying this
year instead of the next.

Perfectly right. The problem is, some builders confuse 'simple' with
over simplistic, or try to take short cuts on safety by 'simplifying'
the thinking process before building.
For those who think the electrical circuit is worth some consideration,
a visit to http://www.aeroelectric.com will prove very informative.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

Quote:
I am the proud USA importer of the French kit airplane, the Sky Ranger!

Yes everyone here knows the Sky Ranger.

Quote:
Ranger and a 3300 in a Lightning.

I just run the large power wire about 6" to the starter solenoid. I
would attached fused or breaker protected circuits from the post there
to elsewhere. If one of them were to short, I would expect protection
to kick in or if it shorted on the way to the breaker, I would expect
the wire to just fry without much damage. The runs are short and the
firewall penetration carefully protected.

If complexity (and maybe weight) is a consideration, why use breakers at
all ? Fuses would just do, with lower cost, installation complexity and
weight.

Quote:

I note that the same large 6" wire would go to the master solenoid and
then another 6" wire would to to the Jab start solenoid. No real
difference in protection for the large wire. In either case it has a
6" unprotected run.

The battery contactor is to be located as close to it's battery as
physically possible. The role isn't to protect wires (they are large,
and won't fry), but to disconnect the ship's circuit from any source of
electricity.
If the component are close together, you may consider a metal strap
instead of a wire. Still simpler.

Quote:
But if the master solenoid, which must be continously held in place
by current were to experience low voltage, coil failure, switch
failure or a wire break then all power would be lost......unless one
has a backup circuit that bypasses the master....which is the
situation I began at.

The goal of the electrical circuit designer is to minimise the fire and
fault hazard.
The only way to experience low voltage is low battery and/or faulty
charging circuit. The engine is not electrically dependent, and I
suppose that in the USA, ultralights only fly day VFR ? No critical
circuit to keep running. So why take shortcuts on safety for fear of
lacking of electricity ?

Quote:
I understand that popular aviation thought is in love with the master
solenoid, but I am wondering if it adds complexity and vulnerability
to solve an unlikely problem...on very simple light airplanes.

Simplicity should be in the aircraft, not in the designer/builder
efforts in design. It takes much thinking to design a really simple and
reliable aircraft system.
Popular aviation would really benefit from carefully engineered and
crafted systems : I recently had to troubleshoot a poorly wired
ultralight (not a Sky). Really poor craftsmanship from the importer...

Quote:
I like them more on GA airplanes with their 60 -100 amp circuits with
retractable gear, lights, dog polishers and window foggers.

Wink))
Quote:

..... Of course a short can cause a fire but there must be
combustables nearby and the insulation must be combustable. Otherwise
a brief arc, a brief smell and it is all over.

Yeah, that's what is often experienced in ultralights. Sparcs and arcs,
and flat batteries. Auto PVC spaghetti wire everywhere, control cables
and rods rubbing against structure (yes sir, even on Sky Rangers)
The reputation of sloppy craftsmanship is unfortunately sometimes
deserved...
If I happened to buy an aircraft and experienced even the briefest of
arc ans smell, I'd have some 'interesting' discussion with the seller...

Quote:

If a starter solenoid actually stuck, it will just keep turning the
engine untill the battery power is drained or the starter melts
down. While disconcerting, it would happen on the ground and be over
quickly. No so if your master solenoid craps out in the air. You
lose radios, EIS, intercom, flaps and whatever else you power.

You really would shed circuit protection and good wiring practice just
for fear of losing flaps when turning the master off ? Would no flaps on
a Sky Ranger really be a problem ?
BTW, in a car, you also lose many thing when turning the keyswitch off.

Have you considered subscribing to the Aeroelectric List on Matronics ?
Much interesting matters, and opportunity to discuss electrical options
much more in-depth

Best regards,
Gilles

p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Hi Gilles,

The new Light Sport Airplane rule in the USA allows for either
day/VFR or Night and/or IFR operations. Of course, there are extra
equipment requirements for night or IFR operations. It is the Sport
Pilot rule that limits pilots (rather than aircraft) to day/VFR
operations. The much older "Ultralight" in the USA is not worthy of
any serious flight including daytime. I don't think anyone would
consider flying one of those "Flying lawn chairs" at night. Those
"Ultralights" are limited to one seat, 5 gallons of fuel, maximum
empty weight of 254 pounds, and a maximum cruise speed around 60 mph.

I have been following your discussion of the need for the master
contactor on an airplane. I remain unconvinced either way about the
need for this device. It is relatively clear it can be used to deal
with in-flight fires, and it also might be used to make sure all
equipment is really off when the plane is finished for the day.

If there is a switch installed on the battery circuit for all devices
except the starter, then normal sized wiring and switch could be
used. This approach would use a solenoid for the starter connected
in parallel to the battery. The only obvious risk with this approach
is that the starter solenoid gets stuck or activated without the
pilot's desire. This seems unlikely and un-harmful even if it does occur.

Perhaps I am missing something important. It seems that the expense
in cost, weight, and electrical load imposed by the master contactor
is only there to deal with the unlikely problem of a run-away starter solenoid.

Paul
Zodiac XL builder - nearing completion of fuselage

Quote:
I suppose that in the USA, ultralights only fly day VFR ?

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/9/2006 10:44:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, Gilles.Thesee(at)ac-grenoble.fr writes:
Quote:

Have you considered subscribing to the Aeroelectric List on Matronics ?
Much interesting matters, and opportunity to discuss electrical options
much more in-depth

Best regards,
Gilles

Good thoughts on your Previous post, Gilles.

I have to have some restrictions on my subscribing. I am already on 5 or 6!.

I will think about it tho. Perhaps you are trying to gently tell me my ignorance is showing!!!

Doug
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Jabiru Starter contactor and solenoid Reply with quote

Quote:

I will think about it tho. Perhaps you are trying to gently tell me
my ignorance is showing!!!

Doug,

I just reviewed the latest diagrams on the Aeroelectric Connection, and
you know what ?
There is a suggestion for a simple Jabiru or Rotax circuit with NO
battery contactor !

So dispensing with the battery contactor in a simple circuit might not
appear so much of a problem after all...
My apologies for being so affirmative before checking everything.

Best regards,
Gilles

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: