Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parking brake valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Parking brake valve Reply with quote

Jim,
I bought a cabinet door latch in the aviation department at Home Depot and rigged my parking valve with a handle made from aluminum tubing. I personally dislike the traditional push-pull knobs used to set the parking brake in light aircraft, so I came up with this lever idea. When stowed, it is out of sight and latched in an upright position. Even under G loading, the lightweight lever is highly unlikely to drop to the down "brakes set" position. When in the brakes set position, the lever is in front of the left rudder pedal so the pilot easily notices it and can confirm the brake setting. It's also easy to look in the cockpit and determine if the brakes are set.
You can look at my web site at www.rv-8a.net on the chronology page. Caution - it is a very long page and you'll need high speed internet to download it (downloads in about 20 seconds with high speed). Scroll down to the 11 Nov 06 entry to see photos. If you don't have high speed internet, let me know and I'll send the photos to you.
I'm sure you could modify my idea to meet your needs in your aircraft.
Regards,
Stan Sutterfield

Quote:
All,
I installed the catalog parking brake valve on my RV-8 but never figured
out how to use it. At first I thought that I could use the little handle
by itself. Unfortunately this dream resulted in an almost serious
accident when the tiny mass of the tiny handle caused it to jiggle into
the closed position. When this happens the next brake application locks
the brake. Surprise! At the moment the handle is tie-wrapped into the
open position.
My post is to ask how others have fabricated a linkage to operate it
properly. Simply putting a control cable on it results in reversed
operation, IE pulled out would be off. Any ideas?
Jim Bean
43 hours now on N99JA

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: