Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fascinating Gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beauford(at)tampabay.rr.c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Fascinating Gas Reply with quote

Kolbers:
A strange thing happened on the way to the kleenex airplane today...
As usual, I stopped at the tailgate of the carbon-encrusted pickup to mix a fresh 5 gallons of Race Trac's finest regular with the proper quantity of Amsoil Sabre 100 to 1 air cooled synthetic... shook the fool out of it for a few seconds, then dumped it through the filter funnel into the airplane.
I saved the small amount of residual mix in the bottom of the funnel to use to load the hand primer syringe I employ to start the mighty 447... the hand-held primer is part of a larger ritual developed over time, involving chants and some fairly intricate dance steps... but I digress...
Long story short, I got delayed for about ten minutes (geezers tend to do that a lot), then went back to finish loading the primer. I was surprised to see that during the ten minutes I had been away, the fuel mix in the bottom of the funnel had turned into a milky fluid with strings of nasty white mucus-looking material collected in the bottom...the whitish opaque liquid was tinted a wicked shade of pale blue from the dye in the oil... Hadn't seen anything like that in the bottom of a container since a certain frat party at one of the universities Beauford was asked to leave as a young man...
Anyway.... 'ol Beauford might not be the highest velocity cartridge in the clip, but he has not yet consumed quite enough Beefeaters and smoked enough cheap stogies so as to have rendered him wholly incapable of detecting whether the 5 gallons of concoction he was pouring in the tank had been miraculously transformed by the fuel fairy into milk of magnesia... It looked perfectly OK going in... But I just had to look...
I hot footed it over there and peered into the Kolb's tank .. nope... it was blue all right, but crystal clear... you could read an in-law's obituary through 50 gallons of that stuff...
Bewilderment.
I suspect that the moisture in the air was interacting with the mix remaining in the funnel...but today was a fair day, about 70F, and completely dry. Was it forming an emulsion of some sort...? But if so, why not also the mix in the fuel tank, which, through the vent openings, sits exposed to the same atmosphere for weeks at a time...? The old mix I siphon out of the plane when refueling is always as clear as the day I put it in.
The gas around here generally has no alcohol... they use MTBE... Is it something peculiar about the Amsoil ester-base oil...? I know it supposedly has certain hygroscopic characteristics, but is this normal behavior when mixed with gas and allowed to sit for a few minutes..? What are the implications for running this discolored mix through a Bing into a 447..? Will it lube bearings fully...? Plug jets?
I have taken the liberty to post a close-up of the "stuff" pooled in the bottom of the funnel... It is (or soon will be) on the Matronics photo-share...
Any insights or explanations from the List would be appreciated.
Baffled Beauford
FF#076
Brandon, FL

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tophera(at)centurytel.net

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Fascinating Gas Reply with quote

If it is a filter funnel that is designed to also separate water my guess is
that it separated water leaving mostly water in the funnel with a bit of
higher concentration fuel oil mix from the bottom of the can, being the last
bit that came out of the can and you say you only shook it a bit. Amsoil is
known to turn to goo if it gets much water near it, and that is probably
what happened. I am not a big fan of Amsoil because of this.
You can try to recreate the incident by mixing a similar batch of fuel, with
the same "few seconds" of shaking and intentionally put a little water in
the funnel before you pour through it. If you get the same goo after a few
minutes, then the funnel is doing its job and the Amsoil is doing its funky
thing with water.
Christopher Armstrong

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

neilsenrmf(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Fascinating Gas Reply with quote

Bill
I think Chris is right that's oil and water mixing. I blew a head gasket in
a car years ago and water from the cooling system got into the oil. When I
checked the oil there was the same white pasty goo all over the dip stick
and when I drained the oil it all came out the same way.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: