Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Madden Cowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomlc(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Madden Cowl Reply with quote

I am starting work on my Madden cowl to match the top and bottom halves.

1.) In taking some preliminary measurements before I trim, I have determined that the cooling ducts will have only about 2.5 inches of vertical openning. Does that come close to what any of you have?

2.) One last thing:
The bottom section of the cowl has a mold die mark on each side. There is no mark on the top half. I assume the die mark is used to trim the lower cowl first, to make it square and level, and then the top half is brought down and trimmed gradually as necesary to fit.
However, when viewed from the front of the cowl, if I trim the bottom half along that die mark, the cut line will not pass through a verticle area of the cooling duct's outer border, but slightly in the lower curved portion of the duct's border. This would not allow the top half to mate very precise with the bottom half, because the top half's cut line will be it its verticle area of the cooling duct.
To overcome this, one would need to trim the lower cowl about a 1/2 inch above the die mark. This would move the cut line higher, into a more verticle part of the cooling duct, and provide better alignment when mating the cooling duct halves.
But my lower cowl doesn't have a 1/2 inch material above the die line, only about a quarter inch. Madden appears to have cut off the fiberglass within a quarter inch of the die mark when making the bottom half. This doesn't leave enough material to work with. I would have to reshape the outer lower curved portions of the cooling ducts if I cut along the die mark.
Is this a common problem with this cowl or am I approaching this incorrectly?
The nice cowl in the photo in the recent post regarding "Conrad's Shop" dosen't appear to have had to the problem I foresee with mine.
Thanks,
Tom Cummings
Sulphur, La.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Tailwind-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
jclement000(at)centurytel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Madden Cowl Reply with quote

Tom, 2 3/8 - 2 1/2" opening is about right.
The top and bottom doesn't fit real good, you can get it closer using a heat
gun and doing some glassing and sanding. The scribe lines were put in the
mold as a guide several years ago from one of my TW cowls. The upper and
lower mating line should be centered in the intake opening. The spinner
opening should be 11 3/8 - 11 1/2". Jim

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tomlc(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Madden Cowl Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and everybody,
Knowing ahead of time that glassing, bondo, filling, and sanding are
required makes me feel better about how to correct the misfitting cowl
halves. I can reshape those intake opennings.
Thanks again,
Tom Cummings
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: