Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jabiru Muffler Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Dear Thread Friends, Last week after a short flight I was relocating my super duper homebuilt preheater under the cowl when I touched the left exhaust pipe and it moved. I removed the cowl and inspected and found two cracks had formed in the muffler, one above, one below the exit pipe from the welds. I removed the muffler and then I saw what I am reporting as a failure. All the metal guts from the inside fell out. The metal screen inside the muffler had disintegrated into little chunks of steel. The inside part must not be made of stainless steel ???? I fished them all out and made two gussets from 18 gauge stainless stock and TIG welded them to the exit pipes to strengthen them and repaired the cracks. I did my 100 hour at Christmas, but missed any cracks, if they were there. What really jerks my chain is I have only 101 hours on the engine when the thing failed. I wonder what would have happened to my 3300, my plane and my butt if a couple solid corner chunks stopped up an exit pipe in flight ??? All you Jab guys check your mufflers. Jab put out a SB some time back on the inlet pipe connectors cracking because the welds were MIG not TIG, but nothing on the inside being eaten away, Bet regards, Bill of Georgia N505WP, 601XL-3300  [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

how long are the tail pipes out the bottom of the cowl?

Nick

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com wrote:
[quote]Dear Thread Friends, Last week after a short flight I was relocating my super duper homebuilt preheater under the cowl when I touched the left exhaust pipe and it moved. I removed the cowl and inspected and found two cracks had formed in the muffler, one above, one below the exit pipe from the welds. I removed the muffler and then I saw what I am reporting as a failure. All the metal guts from the inside fell out. The metal screen inside the muffler had disintegrated into little chunks of steel. The inside part must not be made of stainless steel ???? I fished them all out and made two gussets from 18 gauge stainless stock and TIG welded Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

When questioned on this issue, Jabiru USA will certainly ask when the engine and muffler were bought and probably offer that some improvement has been made since then. So when was engine delivered Bill?

Ed Moody II

---- nick otterback <vettin74(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:
how long are the tail pipes out the bottom of the cowl?

Nick

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com wrote:
Dear Thread Friends, Last week after a short flight I was relocating my super duper homebuilt preheater under the cowl when I touched the left exhaust pipe and it moved. I removed the cowl and inspected and found two cracks had formed in the muffler, one above, one below the exit pipe from the welds. I removed the muffler and then I saw what I am reporting as a failure. All the metal guts from the inside fell out. The metal screen inside the muffler had disintegrated into little chunks of steel. The inside part must not be made of stainless steel ???? I fished them all out and made two gussets from 18 gauge stainless stock and TIG welded them to the exit pipes to strengthen them and repaired the cracks. I did my 100 hour at Christmas, but missed any cracks, if they were there. What really jerks my chain is I have only 101 hours on the engine when the thing failed. I wonder what would have happened to my 3300, my plane and my butt if a couple solid corner chunks stopped up
an exit pipe in flight ??? All you Jab guys check your mufflers. Jab put out a SB some time back on the inlet pipe connectors cracking because the welds were MIG not TIG, but nothing on the inside being eaten away, Bet regards, Bill of Georgia N505WP, 601XL-3300

---------------------------------
Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Nick, I'm not at the airport, but I think they are about 16-18 inches long. Bill

--

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Ed, I can't really remember when I received the engine. I would have to look in my log for sure, but I think spring/summer of '04 ? How's your building coming along? Well, I hope. Best regards, Bill

--

tonyplane(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Bill,
I may be wrong, but I believe that the inside of the muffler has no "Screens". The outlet pipes though have a bunch of holes in the area inside of the muffler (like piccolo tubes).
When I received my FWF from Jab USA, the outlet pipes were not welded to the muffler, nor were there any holes for fitting the outlet pipes into the muffler. One end of the outlet pipes was capped closed.
I aked Pete about this and he said that it was in case anyone wished to weld the outlets themselves and for other configurations/installations. He said he would have them welded for the XL, so I sent the muffler and outlet pipes back to Pete and he returned them TIG welded. The "forward/capped closed" ends of the outlet pipes were fillet welded to the muffler after a hole was cut in the muffler, along with a fillet weld around the outlet hole at the aft exit circumference.
Is possible you had the muffler "holed" and the outlet pipes welded locally? Were your outlets welded at both ends?

Tony Graziano
Zodiac 601XL/Jab3300A; N493TG; 195 hrs

From: japhillipsga(at)aol.com ([email]japhillipsga(at)aol.com?subject=Re:%20Re:%20Jabiru%20Muffler%20Failure&replyto=8C90927C72D2124-4F0-4775(at)MBLK-M23.sysops.aol.com[/email]) Date: [b]Thu Jan 18 - 6:55 AM[/b] [quote][b][quote]Ed, I can't really remember when I received the engine. I would have to look in my log for sure, but I think spring/summer of '04 ? How's your building coming along? Well, I hope. Best regards, Bill --

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Tony, The inlet holes that the manifold pipes slide into were welded. The outlet holes, I had to cut and have the pipes TIG welded into place. The baffle screen was visible inside the "can" when I made the two holes. The baffle screen is what disintegrated into chunks about quarter to .50 cent size pieces. Good to hear from you and hope your doing well, Best regards, Bill

--

info(at)usjabiru.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Bill,

Did you cut the holes all the way through the can so that the outlet was welded on both sides of the can?

Pete

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of japhillipsga(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:18 PM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: JabiruEngine-List: Re: Re: Jabiru Muffler Failure

Tony, The inlet holes that the manifold pipes slide into were welded. The outlet holes, I had to cut and have the pipes TIG welded into place. The baffle screen was visible inside the "can" when I made the two holes. The baffle screen is what disintegrated into chunks about quarter to .50 cent size pieces. Good to hear from you and hope your doing well, Best regards, Bill

--

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Jabiru Muffler Failure Reply with quote

Pete, I had stainless steel sleeves similar to the inlet sleeves made and welded to the can skin. Then the exit pipes welded into the sleeves. As to "all the way through" the can, no it was not welded from behind. Could not have been had I thought of it because the baffle shelf was welded inside the can and blocked access to the back inside of the exit sleeves. I guess I could weld it that way now that the baffle has disintegrated. Would you like for me to mail you the chunks and bits I saved? Bill [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: