Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinner center console

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pequeajim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Thinner center console Reply with quote

In sitting in the Lightning today, it was just a "tad" tight on my big butt!

I wonder if there are plans to widen the cockpit, or make some modifications for a little more space? I'm 6'-2" and a little on the wide side.

One thought would be a glass center console that is more narrow than the metal version currently being used?

Jim!

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Thinner center console Reply with quote

Jim,
Now that's something different than I've seen. THe ones here in TN at SYI
have a glass center console. It has been redesigned since the prototype to
be thinner. I believe that the Esqual had a similar glass center console.
Maybe Buz can provide you with a picture of his seatpan as I think that he
eliminated this part. If you work with glass then you can probably work it
out to widen the stock seat pans and eliminate the center part. Just an
idea. It can be tight for bigger guys. Interestingly enough though it's
the same width cockpit as a Cessna 182! Brian W.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

pequeajim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinner center console Reply with quote

Well, don't get me wrong... You're right; the cockpit width is a good deal wider than the 172 that I fly a lot. When you're big, you look for all sorts of ways to make more space. I think if I could shave a inch or two off the center console around my butt, it would be even more comofrtable.

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Thinner center console Reply with quote

Jim,
I haven't built a Lightning, just flown them, but I've seen them many
times in various stages, and I don't think that there's any reason why you
couldn't eliminate that center console all together if you so chose. THat's
part of why I love experimental aircraft. Maybe Pete or Nick will chime in
here and verify that this would be possible. Think that would give you
another couple of inches of butt room. On a side note, you'd probably
appreciate Mr. Davis's "Big Bubba Sonex". It has been converted to a one
seater. I'm not a very big guy, but I like that it had a really wide
cockpit like that. He flies it back and forth some to work on his
Lightning. It also has a Jabiru engine. Brian W.

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Thinner center console Reply with quote

I just turned on the computer (been working on the chapter Zodiac XL all day) and read the recent comments on more seat room and auto pilots. The auto pilot question is easy. I have a TruTrak with pitch, roll, and altitude hold in my airplane. I love it. It will track a heading or a GPS flight plan and hold altitude.  It was easy to install and hook up. My Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff) has many Lightning mods - including a Lightning central beam assembly. The central beam assembly, in addition to the wing spars, also has the pitch and roll controls attached to it. That makes the auto pilot servos hook up pretty straight forward. Pete, Ben, Nick or Lamont (and probably Mark by now) will all know how it is done. I have sent photos of my servo installation to Dennis (down under) and John (Trade-A-Plane country). Can send photos to you as well when you get to that point of your build. 
As to the center console, you can not do away with it. It has the elevator control rod running through it as well as the flap motor in that area. However, you may be able to make it a little thinner. Also, this afternoon I looked at Charlie Keith's new Lightning kit (it was delivered for Christmas) and it has the new molded seat pans which should give you more "seat" room. The seats on the Lightning are completely different from the stock Esqual. That is just one of the many things that is so much better on the Lightning design. The Esqual had a double molded seat pan - meaning both seats are individually molded into one wide assembly. (It is hard to get it in and out because of the its size.) Since I had flown the original hybrid Lightning several times (Esqual fuselage with Lightning wings) I knew this was one area I wanted to change on my airplane. I am also 6'2" and about 215 lbs.  When you first get in the seats feel very comfortable - molded to your butt. However after an hour or so, I was getting "hot spots" on both hips. So when I was building my Esqual seats, I put in a "wide butt" mod that pushed out the seat pans on both sides in these areas. It helped a lot. I think you could do something similar with the new Lightning seat pans, but you may not have to since they look wider than the original flat seat bottom design. I would suggest visiting SYI after the guys get the new Lightning demonstrator completed and see how those seats feel. Of course get a flight in it as well.
Some of the other mods I did to my airplane was to install larger main gear wheels and tires, installed the Lighting gear leg fairings and wheel pants, and to install a modified Lightning cowling.  The Lightnings use the same main wheel and tire set up. When I first started flying my airplane with no wheel pants and no gear leg fairings, the max speed was 165 TAS mph at full throttle at 5000 feet. Then with the Lightning gear leg fairings only, the 5000' true airspeed was 175 MPH. The airplane also picked up about 100 RPM showing that the engine didn't have to work as hard with the gear leg fairings on. Next I put the Lightning wheel pants on and the rpm increased again, this time to just over red line, to 3350, so I had to pull the power back. Now, running with slightly reduced power to hold the engine to 3300 rpm at 5000', the true airspeed was 188 mph.  Call it 185 to 188 as it was bouncing around a little. So you see, the Lightning fairings, wheel pants, and cowling are very effective. I think the current Lightning prototype is only a few mph faster than 31BZ, but remember it is a heaver prototype without the "whiz bang" slick finish.  Production models will probably be 10 mph or so faster on top end. I think Brian's goal of 200 mph is certainly achievable.
As to the Dynamic WT9, the Czechs make some good airplanes. However, you will be paying extra to get it shipped here, you will pay more for the airplane, and you will not have the Jabiru engine.  All negatives in my book. Your mileage may vary.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

mark.stauffer1(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Thinner center console Reply with quote

Jim,

You cannot do away with the center console. Underneath the console are the
elevator push rod and the flap motor.

The center console and seats have been redesigned and I don't believe Ryan
has a kit with the newest version. The new center console is narrower (I
believe it's 3" now) and really can't be trimmed down anymore without
interfering with the push rod or flap motor.

The center console at your hips and thigh is glass, not metal. The only
metal in the console is the vertical piece that goes from the front edge of
the console up to the instrument panel. That piece typically houses the fuel
valves, fuel line and some electrical wires.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Mark

Mark Stauffer
Arion Aircraft Builders Assist Program

--

pequeajim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Thinner center console Reply with quote

Hi Mark:

I wouldn't want to eliminate the center console, but my original question was about reducing it's size and you have answered that question, thanks...

Yes, I sat in Ryan's, so if I am able to make it down to Fun n Sun, I will take the time to sit in the demo with the newer seats and console. I'm sure it will be more to my liking as I really wasn't far off with Ryan's aircraft.

Jim!

On 1/21/07, Mark Stauffer <mark.stauffer1(at)gmail.com (mark.stauffer1(at)gmail.com)> wrote: [quote]--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Mark Stauffer" < mark.stauffer1(at)gmail.com (mark.stauffer1(at)gmail.com)>

Jim,

You cannot do away with the center console. Underneath the console are the
elevator push rod and the flap motor.

The center console and seats have been redesigned and I don't believe Ryan
has a kit with the newest version. The new center console is narrower (I
believe it's 3" now) and really can't be trimmed down anymore without
interfering with the push rod or flap motor.

The center console at your hips and thigh is glass, not metal. The only
metal in the console is the vertical piece that goes from the front edge of
the console up to the instrument panel. That piece typically houses the fuel
valves, fuel line and some electrical wires.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Mark

Mark Stauffer
Arion Aircraft Builders Assist Program

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: