Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexjan(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Starting Reply with quote

I'm a new owner of a 912UL powered Mod IV. I'm having trouble starting
this thing when temperatures approach freezing. I drained my battery this
morning and I didn't get a single pop out of the thing. Even at 60F I
still find that this thing requires a lot of cranking.

Hi ! Luis,
I am a 582 owner and not 912 but I am an electronics technician and have built about 20 CDI ignition systems of varying types. The Rotax motors and Jabiru are all types I know of that require minimum RPM to get a spark. My 582 and a Jabiru are 300 RPM. I suspect your 912 will be the same.
Warming the engine is a good idea. It may be enough to get those RPM's and it might not. However I do recommend it if you can do it someway.
That motorcycle battery you have is not really good enough. My original battery was such and from new it only ever just did the job. If I left my plane stand for a few weeks there is no way it would get 300 RPM to start. It might sound fine and seem to hang in but it just would not start. I would jump start it and it would fire up instantly. I changed to an Odyssey battery and the difference is incredable. I can go on holidays and it starts instantly. Odyssey is an "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery or aslo called recumbrant etc. There is also other brands but Odyssey is probably the most common. The reason these batteries are so superior to a "Flooded Wet Cell" type motorcycle battery is that the internal resistance is much lower. This gives a lot more cranking power. These batteries also do not leak even with a cracked case.No box is needed. They can be mounted anyhow including upside down. I suspect just changing to one of these batteries will solve your problem. However if your motor and battery are both very cold that will work against you. We have a 5 year old Odyssey in our club Jabiru and that does need a little warmth on a real cold morning. An Odyssey also does not lose charge to anywhere near the extent a Flooded Wet Cell does when left standing.
Pumping the throttle won't help on your motor because you don't have an accelerator pump in the carby like carburated automobiles did. Also if the butterfly is cracked open you won't get your choke or starting circuit to work.
For an Odyssey battery I suggest looking up batteries4everything.com I hope I have that right ! I'm in Australia but the price for a PC625 Odyssey here when I bought mine was $270 AU..I got one from the USA via batteries4everything and my all up cost landed here was exactly half. The $US for the battery as I remember was $57.42.
Goodluck,
Rex Shaw

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: