Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Route Across Country

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan.beadle(at)inclinesoft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Route Across Country Reply with quote

There are some practicalities of oxygen, but assuming that is not a factor...
I can't say much about crossing the Great Plains - lots of the same. But it is a great place for
some low flying and brushing up on ground reference maneuvers. We enjoy just popping in to little
towns and checking out the mid-west culture. Real America...
I would plan to fly to Durango, CO. They have the Silver Train (or used to). Great views crossing
the Rockies. The airport at Farmington NM. has a great Mexican restaurant - and I am a
connoisseur. But be careful on the hot sauce - they make it hot there. I like it, but I am
accustomed to it.
On to San Diego, you can see Ship Wreck Rock (used as backdrop in many TV commercials). I would
swing north to the southern edge of the Grand Canyon. Land at Grand Canyon Airport (high, but the
RV will do it fine).
Coming home, I would fly up the California coast, low, checking out the wonder seascapes (sun sets
over the water here). Fly along Big Sur to land at Monterey, CA. Maybe head north to fly over the
Golden Gate Bridge (watch out for Class Bravo Airspace).
I live at Lake Tahoe - it is a beautiful lake and worth the stop. We have two airports - TVL and
TRK. Both are suitable, but high. TRK is the easier. I hangar at RNO.
I would try to take in Canyon Lands National Park in Utah on the way back. Again, wonderful land
forms.
Next on up to Boise area and over to Jackson WY or West Yellowstone (closed for winter). There are
some wonderful obsidian flows that are ONLY seen from the air. This route takes you over Grand
Tetons park. I highly recommend Yellowstone, best seasons are early spring/late fall when kids are
in school but no snow on ground. We love the last week in September.
Flying eastbound is pretty easy from Jackson. The land is lower and flatter, but not without
weather.
Another stop along the way is Mt Rushmore (Rapid City). It is a bit of a drive from the airport,
but kind of interesting.
Hope this helps. If you use any of it, I would appreciate feedback and pix on your return.
Dan Beadle
RV8 (empennage almost done!)

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
rv8(at)lazy8.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Route Across Country Reply with quote

Yes, Durango still has the train, Durango to Silverton. Won't be running
the full route 'till May or so.
The restaraunt in Farmington is closed (darn it).
For a flat lander without mountain flying experience (airline flying,
even from the front seat, does not count), I would say fly to Las Vegas,
NM, then west from there. Or, go farther south along I-10 over El Paso,
etc. Do not fly over the higher mountains in the spring, the winds will
kick your ass. Every year we loose flat landers around here.
Good luck, John
Pagosa Springs, CO (50 miles east of Durango)
dan.beadle(at)inclinesoftworks.com wrote:
There are some practicalities of oxygen, but assuming that is not a factor...
I can't say much about crossing the Great Plains - lots of the same. But it is a great place for
some low flying and brushing up on ground reference maneuvers. We enjoy just popping in to little
towns and checking out the mid-west culture. Real America...
I would plan to fly to Durango, CO. They have the Silver Train (or used to). Great views crossing
the Rockies. The airport at Farmington NM. has a great Mexican restaurant - and I am a
connoisseur. But be careful on the hot sauce - they make it hot there. I like it, but I am
accustomed to it.
On to San Diego, you can see Ship Wreck Rock (used as backdrop in many TV commercials). I would
swing north to the southern edge of the Grand Canyon. Land at Grand Canyon Airport (high, but the
RV will do it fine).
Coming home, I would fly up the California coast, low, checking out the wonder seascapes (sun sets
over the water here). Fly along Big Sur to land at Monterey, CA. Maybe head north to fly over the
Golden Gate Bridge (watch out for Class Bravo Airspace).
I live at Lake Tahoe - it is a beautiful lake and worth the stop. We have two airports - TVL and
TRK. Both are suitable, but high. TRK is the easier. I hangar at RNO.
I would try to take in Canyon Lands National Park in Utah on the way back. Again, wonderful land
forms.
Next on up to Boise area and over to Jackson WY or West Yellowstone (closed for winter). There are
some wonderful obsidian flows that are ONLY seen from the air. This route takes you over Grand
Tetons park. I highly recommend Yellowstone, best seasons are early spring/late fall when kids are
in school but no snow on ground. We love the last week in September.
Flying eastbound is pretty easy from Jackson. The land is lower and flatter, but not without
weather.
Another stop along the way is Mt Rushmore (Rapid City). It is a bit of a drive from the airport,
but kind of interesting.
Hope this helps. If you use any of it, I would appreciate feedback and pix on your return.
Dan Beadle
RV8 (empennage almost done!)

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: