Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwheat2083(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Carlos, did you have your wheel pants on or off. Cheers, Larry N852LW

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Pulsar747N <pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com (pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and theexcessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes.
I have not done anything yet but I am soon faced with replacing the gear with the Grove.
Carlos, Pulsar III / Aeromax

From: Ray Wilhelm <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com (rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com)>
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:42 AM
Subject: RE: Re: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age.

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "Ray Wilhelm" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com (rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com)>

I don't have the details. It was 2 or 3 laps around the lower legs up to
about 18 inches from where the axel is fitted, I think. I don't have the
glass gear anymore. I was the first to install a Grove gear many years ago.
The glass gear collapsed from excessive heat soak back from doing fast
landing tests.

Ray Pulsar III/3300
--

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
mjb777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Interesting to read about the fiberglass gear structural issues due to general wear and tear and also the possible thermal problem from the brakes also. I Think I may have a $40 solution.

I'd like to recommend an amazing product I have used for years, which is BVM, (Bob Violett Models), "Heat Shield Paint". I know what you may think when the word "models" comes into it, (not the nice ones that prance around either), but honestly this stuff is amazing! I used it a lot on my turbine powered model jets and it really was incredible how this ceramic paint reflected heat and kept structure cool even when the structure or skin was mm from the engine. It sticks like the proverbial and is feather light, and cheap also!!

There are probably tons of other places this could be used in composite or otherwise homebuilts but I'd say at a glance that this would be very worthwhile painted on the face of the Fiberglass gear leg that it subjected to radiation heat from the brakes. Some reinforced ventilation slots or holes in the top of the pants would generate convection through the pant also.

Check out the BVM website.

Matt.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Pulsar747n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

I had the wheel pants on.
Carlos Pulsar III
On Aug 23, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Larry Wheat <lwheat2083(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[quote] Carlos, did you have your wheel pants on or off. Cheers, Larry N852LW

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Pulsar747N <pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and the excessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes

barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

I have a Pulsar III with the fiberglass gear and they are wrapped with carbon fiber all the way down to about 2 inches form the end. The last two inches I wrapped with several revolutions of 2 inch glass tape to try to prevent splitting. To this point I have never had a problem and I have my own custom build wheel pants and gear leg fairings installed with no vents.

Are the legs collapsing outward when it happens?

Barry

>
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 2:34:34 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age.

Carlos Pulsar III

On Aug 23, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Larry Wheat <lwheat2083(at)gmail.com (lwheat2083(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote] Carlos, did you have your wheel pants on or off. Cheers, Larry N852LW

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Pulsar747N <pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com (pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and the excessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes.
I have not done anything yet but I am soon faced with replacing the gear with the Grove.

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "Ray Wilhelm" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com (rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com)>

landing tests.

Ray Pulsar III/3300
--

rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Mine collapsed inboard just above the axel.  At the time , I had the supplied pants.

Ray    Pulsar III/3300

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of barrynorman(at)comcast.net
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 6:40 AM

I have a Pulsar III with the fiberglass gear and they are wrapped with carbon fiber all the way down to about 2 inches form the end. The last two inches I wrapped with several revolutions of 2 inch glass tape to try to prevent splitting. To this point I have never had a problem and I have my own custom build wheel pants and gear leg fairings installed with no vents.

Barry

Quote:

Carlos Pulsar III

On Aug 23, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Larry Wheat <lwheat2083(at)gmail.com (lwheat2083(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]

I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and the excessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes.

landing tests.

Ray Pulsar III/3300
--

barryjedwards(at)lineone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

The best solution to the heating up of the lower U/C leg is not to brake so hard! Landing at 100mph and braking hard seems utterly pointless to me when the Pulsar will land safely at 65mph and slow down relatively easily with light braking. My XP tail-dragger had the glass leg without any problems at all, flying from a 1500 foot grass strip and rarely using more than half of it. My 4.5” Azusa internal drum brakes are too weedy to cause much heat anyway, let alone rapid slowing down. Energy (speed) management in the approach and flare should be the key to stopping quickly, not hard braking – you learn that with a tail-dragger or you stuff it on it's nose!

My gear did eventually fail, but only because a sheep wrapped its neck around it during one fateful landing. The sheep died saving me having to kill it myself in revenge. The gear leg finally cracked some months later at the top mounting point. I now have the Pulsar ‘lite’ Grove one piece gear installed which was not much heavier than the original solid glass gear and is not noticeably different to land on or taxi with.

Barry
G-XPXP 912 Tail-dragger UK

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age.

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com>

Interesting to read about the fiberglass gear structural issues due to general wear and tear and also the possible thermal problem from the brakes also. I Think I may have a $40 solution.

I'd like to recommend an amazing product I have used for years, which is BVM, (Bob Violett Models), "Heat Shield Paint". I know what you may think when the word "models" comes into it, (not the nice ones that prance around either), but honestly this stuff is amazing! I used it a lot on my turbine powered model jets and it really was incredible how this ceramic paint reflected heat and kept structure cool even when the structure or skin was mm from the engine. It sticks like the proverbial and is feather light, and cheap also!!

There are probably tons of other places this could be used in composite or otherwise homebuilts but I'd say at a glance that this would be very worthwhile painted on the face of the Fiberglass gear leg that it subjected to radiation heat from the brakes. Some reinforced ventilation slots or holes in the top of the pants would generate convection through the pant also.

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.
Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=381665#381665

[quote][b]

rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

I just like to know the limits in case they are needed. 

Ray

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Barry J Edwards
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:12 AM

The best solution to the heating up of the lower U/C leg is not to brake so hard! Landing at 100mph and braking hard seems utterly pointless to me when the Pulsar will land safely at 65mph and slow down relatively easily with light braking. My XP tail-dragger had the glass leg without any problems at all, flying from a 1500 foot grass strip and rarely using more than half of it. My 4.5” Azusa internal drum brakes are too weedy to cause much heat anyway, let alone rapid slowing down. Energy (speed) management in the approach and flare should be the key to stopping quickly, not hard braking – you learn that with a tail-dragger or you stuff it on it's nose!

My gear did eventually fail, but only because a sheep wrapped its neck around it during one fateful landing. The sheep died saving me having to kill it myself in revenge. The gear leg finally cracked some months later at the top mounting point. I now have the Pulsar ‘lite’ Grove one piece gear installed which was not much heavier than the original solid glass gear and is not noticeably different to land on or taxi with.

Barry

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com)>

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=381665#381665<nbsp; Navigator Photoshare, and p; the Web ========================<; generous bsp;

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

I would like to point out that when arriving at a field that has a DA of 10,000 ft  the ground speed can easily approach 100. We see this at times in the summer at Big Bear etc.

Ray

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Barry J Edwards

Barry

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com)>

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=381665#381665<nbsp; Navigator Photoshare, and p; the Web ========================<; generous bsp;

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

barryjedwards(at)lineone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Fair point, we don’t have anything at 10,000ft in the UK except more cloud!
Barry

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 3:23 PM

I would like to point out that when arriving at a field that has a DA of 10,000 ft the ground speed can easily approach 100. We see this at times in the summer at Big Bear etc.

Ray

Barry

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.

[url=http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=381665#381665
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Pulsar747n

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Mine collapsed outboard just above the axel. It did not collapsed during the the high speed test, but as soon as I got back to the hangar.
Carlos

On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:06 AM, "Ray Wilhelm" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com> wrote:

[quote] Mine collapsed inboard just above the axel. At the time , I had the supplied pants.

Ray Pulsar III/3300

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of barrynorman(at)comcast.net

Barry

>

Carlos Pulsar III

On Aug 23, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Larry Wheat <lwheat2083(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Pulsar747N <pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and the excessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes

barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

It's hard to believe there would be that much heat radiating from the rotor to soften the glass that much to collapse it. You would think if the brakes got that hot, it would cook all the grease out of the bearings and transfer heat to the gear leg via the axle. You would also think the top of the wheel pants would melt because the heat rises. Was this happening with the Cleveland 5 inch disk brakes?

Barry

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 3:59:11 PM

Mine collapsed outboard just above the axel. It did not collapsed during the the high speed test, but as soon as I got back to the hangar.
Carlos

On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:06 AM, "Ray Wilhelm" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com (rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com)> wrote:

[quote] v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
Mine collapsed inboard just above the axel. At the time , I had the supplied pants.

Ray Pulsar III/3300

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of barrynorman(at)comcast.net (barrynorman(at)comcast.net)

Barry

Quote:

Carlos Pulsar III

[quote]

I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and the excessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes.

Subject: RE: Pulsar-List: Re: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age.

landing tests.

Ray Pulsar III/3300
--

rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Yes, Cleveland.

And no other damage. Break seals were changed after about 400 hours.

Ray

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 1:23 PM

It's hard to believe there would be that much heat radiating from the rotor to soften the glass that much to collapse it. You would think if the brakes got that hot, it would cook all the grease out of the bearings and transfer heat to the gear leg via the axle. You would also think the top of the wheel pants would melt because the heat rises. Was this happening with the Cleveland 5 inch disk brakes?

Barry

From: "Cd" <pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com (pulsar747n(at)yahoo.com)>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 3:59:11 PM

Carlos

On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:06 AM, "Ray Wilhelm" <rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com (rwilhelm(at)dc.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]
Mine collapsed inboard just above the axel. At the time , I had the supplied pants.

Ray Pulsar III/3300

From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] ([email][mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com][/email]) On Behalf Of barrynorman(at)comcast.net (barrynorman(at)comcast.net)

Barry

Quote:

Carlos Pulsar III

[quote]

landing tests.

Ray Pulsar III/3300
--

garymid(at)ymail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Fiberglass/ foam undercarriage age. Reply with quote

Years ago, while performing dozens of high speed tests runs (with pants on), I heated the brakes until they glowed and had zero braking power- no gear failure nor even the slightest deformity in the fiberglass legs.

[quote] I also had the same problem with the glass gear including the carbon wrap mod. I was doing high speed test runs and the excessive heat generated by the brakes collapsed the left leg about 2 inches up from the upper brake holes.

landing tests.

Ray Pulsar III/3300
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: