Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network Issues At Matronics Last Few Days...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Falco-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Network Issues At Matronics Last Few Days... Reply with quote

Dear Listers,

Starting sometime on Friday November 1st, my Internet Service Provider (ISP) began "upgrading" their Domain Name Servers (DNS). DNS servers allow the resolution of computer names such as "www.matronics.com" to real addresses such as 64.81.74.3. This also impacts email delivery as well, since there is another layer of resolution that applies to email names.

Because of this upgrade on the part of my ISP, DNS service started getting unreliable around Friday sometime, but I didn't notice it until sometime on Saturday. When I used a tool called "nslookup" to test the resolution of name-to-address, about 50-75% of the time my ISP's servers would response with an "SERVFAIL" indicating that they didn't know the answer. I opened a ticket with the ISP on Saturday, and by Sunday afternoon I had no feedback on the ticket so I called in to support. "We upgrading the DNS servers, and it should back by Sunday at 5pm." 5pm came and went with no resolution.

Well, long story short by Tuesday morning things were still not fixed and in fact much worse. So, I opted to move all my DNS service to a different service provider. I have a lot of DNS entries, so it took a while to get everything moved over. It generally takes about 24 hours for a change like that to fully propagate across the Internet which would be Wednesday morning sometime. I've noticed that the Matronics web server traffic is picking up again, so many sites have already propagated the new information.

I really should have just moved the DNS on Saturday when I first noticed the troubles, but with stuff like this, you just keep believing that it gonna be fixed any minute now.... And, in fact, that's what my ISP kept telling me...

Its always a giant bummer when stuff like this happens and particularly during the Fund Raiser. I apologize to anyone that has tried to make a Contribution in the last few days and had issues or was simply unable to connect. By the time you read this email, the DNS should be fully propagated, and I ask that you please try again.

The Contribution web site URL is:

http://www.matronics.com/contribution

or, you can send a personal check to the following address:

Matronics / Matt Dralle
581 Jeannie Way
Livermore, CA 94550

Thank you for your kind consideration and patience,

Matt Dralle
Matronics Email List and Forum Administrator

- The Matronics Falco-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Falco-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Falco-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: