Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevator bending brake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellismcgaughy(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Elevator bending brake Reply with quote

I'm building my second set of rv7a elevators as I found my first set warped by about 1/2" at the inboard trailing edges.

I'm preparing to bend the skins and was wondering if anyone that might live within a hundred miles or so from Fayetteville NC might already have a bending brake I could use. Otherwise, I will plan to dive through all the warped lumber at my local neighborhood hardware store.

Ellis
A&P and Grumman tiger owner.

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
george(at)oilhelp.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Elevator bending brake Reply with quote

Ellis, I don't know anything about your project other than I plan to buy an already built RV 7 down the road. I have a traveler presently and keep it at my strip in TN at 2tn7. Are you building the RV to replace your tiger?
George
Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Nov 27, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Ellismcgaughy <ellismcgaughy(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I'm building my second set of rv7a elevators as I found my first set warped by about 1/2" at the inboard trailing edges.

I'm preparing to bend the skins and was wondering if anyone that might live within a hundred miles or so from Fayetteville NC might already have a bending brake I could use. Otherwise, I will plan to dive through all the warped lumber at my local neighborhood hardware store.

Ellis

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Elevator bending brake Reply with quote

On 11/27/2013 7:57 AM, Ellismcgaughy wrote:
Quote:

Ellis

I'm not close, but might be able to offer a tip or two on doing the bend

if you build your own bender. 1st, using a dowel (wood, welding rod,
etc) taped into the trailing edge can help with preventing a too-sharp
bend. Also, I found that my home made brake tended to roll the bend
forward on the side that was on top side of the brake. I made the bend
in multiple steps, checking after each step by clecoing the skin onto
one side of the skeleton & checking hole alignment on the other side
while manually pressing the skin down against the skeleton.

Charlie

dan.pat.b(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Elevator bending brake Reply with quote

EllisI still have the homemade brake I made about 10 years ago out of 2' x 8's and 3.5" hinges - you'd be welcome to it - problem is I'm in Massachusetts - wish I could offer you some advice - as I recall the bending process was pretty straight forward - only thing I can think of is make sure the lumber pieces you make your brake with are perfectly true with not the slightest sign of a warp - keep flipping the skins over after each press to avoid rolling the bend too far forward on one side or the other - good luck and stay with it - 
Dan Bergeron
RV-7A - N307TB
442 hours since first flight
     on Aug 4, 2009  

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV7-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

On 11/27/2013 7:57 AM, Ellismcgaughy wrote:
Quote:
--> RV7-List message posted by: Ellismcgaughy <ellismcgaughy(at)gmail.com (ellismcgaughy(at)gmail.com)>

I'm preparing to bend the skins and was wondering if anyone that might live within a hundred miles or so from Fayetteville NC might already have a bending brake I could use.   Otherwise, I will plan to dive through all the warped lumber at my local neighborhood hardware store.

Ellis

I'm not close, but might be able to offer a tip or two on doing the bend if you build your own bender. 1st, using a dowel (wood, welding rod, etc) taped into the trailing edge can help with preventing a too-sharp bend. Also, I found that my home made brake tended to roll the bend forward on the side that was on top side of the brake. I made the bend in multiple steps, checking after each step by clecoing the skin onto one side of the skeleton & checking hole alignment on the other side while manually pressing the skin down against the skeleton.

Charlie

====================================
om" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
ooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
et="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
et="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
"_blank">www.mrrace.com
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
le, List Admin.
rget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: