Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tanis Preheater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WBrowns

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Tanis Preheater Reply with quote

I'm looking at installing a Tanis preheater system on my engine and would be interested in talking with someone who has a Tanis system installed.

Bill Browns
N716MS

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
winky53(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Tanis Preheater Reply with quote

Bill,  I have a pre heat system on my Lightning. It's not a Tanis. If you are interested I'll look up the brand I have when i'm out at the airport and email you back. Are You? It came with cyclinder hose clamps that attach around the base of each cyclinder and heating tab that is applied on the side of the oil pan. I also have a heater control box which is attached to the heater. So if I want to fly all I have to do is call the control box ( can use a prepaid cell phone or beeper) which trips on the heater to come on. It can heat up to 14 hours in advance. If I decide I do not want to fly, I call the control box again and it turns off  and resets again.  If you live with your plane then all you have to do is plug it into an outlet and wait a few hours. I live in North Carolina and on the coldest days it only takes maybe 3 hours to have the cyclinders and oil already heated to over 90 degrees. I also rap a blanket around the nose of the Lightning to hold the heat in.   Works great and never had a problem.   Just make sure you get a beeper or phone number so obsure that no one would ever call otherwise it would heat the oil for no reason. Starting is normally 3 blades and it fires right up.  I also for all prestarts to my Lightning is switch off and trun the blades over 12 to 15 times just to prime the cyclinders and carb.   See attached for a pick of my Lightning

Gary Winkler
Linghtning N428GW  

> Subject: Tanis Preheater
Quote:
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:26:13 -0800
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com

--> Lightning-List message posted by: "WBrowns" <browns.bill(at)gmail.com>

I'm looking at installing a Tanis preheater system on my engine and would be interested in talking with someone who has a Tanis system installed.

Bill Browns
N716MS

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=416854#416854

=======================
&g============

Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

WBrowns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tanis Preheater Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

If you have bands on at the base of your cylinders it sounds like you have a Reiff preheater. As I understand it do to a change in the cylinders on the "newer" Jabiru 3300 engine the bands can no longer be used. Anyway, I'm looking at a Tanis preheater and the current Tanis solution uses heater bolts that replace tappet bolts. One of the key questions I have is which tappet bolt to replace. The Tanis instructions say to replace a bolt on the intake valve side of the head and shows a top bolt being replaced. Since the Lightning uses some of the top tappet bolts to hold the fiberglass head baffles in place I'm not sure I want to use the top bolts for the heater. It also would be more convenient for tying down the wiring if I could just use the front bottom bolt on each cylinder.

I am also working with a remote GSM switch to control the power to the preheater using text messages and get confirming replies. I think it is going to work really well.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully someone with the tappet bolt version will reply.

Bill Browns
N716MZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: