Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JPI v EI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: JPI v EI Reply with quote

I tried having a civil conversation with Jim Starkey about my year plus worth of side-by-side in flight test comparison of both a JPI 800 and an EI (something comparable, I forget the model).

I was informed that it's impossible for there to be more than a couple of degrees difference in temps between the two units and that my installation was wrong or the complete wiring harness on the JPI was bad. I didn't ask why it wasn't the EI harness that might be bad.

So, all of those JPI owners out there with high CHTs and want to know why give Jim a call or email him directly. He has all the answers and anyone else's explanations are wrong.

Gary
Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
haveblue1(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: JPI v EI Reply with quote

Gary,

I guess that that applies to those of us with the JPI 700 as well, right?

Bruce
On Jan 31, 2014, at 11:47 PM, Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:

I tried having a civil conversation with Jim Starkey about my year plus worth of side-by-side in flight test comparison of both a JPI 800 and an EI (something comparable, I forget the model).

I was informed that it's impossible for there to be more than a couple of degrees difference in temps between the two units and that my installation was wrong or the complete wiring harness on the JPI was bad. I didn't ask why it wasn't the EI harness that might be bad.

So, all of those JPI owners out there with high CHTs and want to know why give Jim a call or email him directly. He has all the answers and anyone else's explanations are wrong.

Gary
Sent from my iPad

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: JPI v EI Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you mean Bruce. But, in case you don't know my experience with the JPI . . .
My experience with JPIs displaying higher temps than EIs goes back to 1999. I had replaced an EI in a Comanche with a EDM-700. He got a good deal on one at Sun-n-Fun and liked the display.
He took off on the maiden flight and immediately returned to the ramp saying I'd done something to his engine because now the CHTs were over 450 on climb-out. I took everything apart and inspected the entire installation. Nothing wrong.
Not long after that, I installed an EDM-700 in Tiger N72T. I was amazed at the temps. 15 years ago I didn't have that much experience with either analyzer so I didn't really know what to think.
In about 2001, I asked Ken Tunnell at LyCon if he could do a side-by-side test of both systems because I suspected the JPI might show much different temps. That never happened.  Sometime later that year, Ken called and told me about an engine on which he'd been dealing with high CHTs when installed in the owners plane.
The plane was a Husky and located in Wyoming. The owner had installed a new EDM-700 along with the new engine. Long story short, Ken found nothing, sent the engine back, the owner found high temps, sent the engine back, engine torn down and inspected, nothing found, engine sent back. That was when I was called. I talked to the guy in WY and told him my experiences.
I had removed an EI from a plane that got a new engine around 2005/2006 and installed an EDM-700. That EI sat in my shop for a while when I decided to install it in N28747; that was about 2007. I installed it exactly parallel to the EDM-800; i.e., both attached to the main buss with a dedicated CB, both connected to the engine mount ground using their own ground wires. I ran the #3 CHT probe to my #3 cylinder.  
Over the next year plus I recorded temps on every flight. The results of that testing was published in March/April 2008 STAR. I saw temps on the #3 cylinder magically up to 80 degrees lower than I'd seen before.  Personally, I think the JPIs temps are more realistic.

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:29 AM, L. Bruce Smith <haveblue1(at)mac.com> wrote:

--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: "L. Bruce Smith" <haveblue1(at)mac.com (haveblue1(at)mac.com)>

Gary,

Bruce
On Jan 31, 2014, at 11:47 PM, Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)>

Gary
Sent frop://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List" target="_blank">http://he Web -Matt Dralle, List Admin.=======

[quote][b]

jamey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: JPI v EI Reply with quote

Thought you did N72T in 2003?
Smile
Jamey

From: Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)>
Reply-To: Team-Grumman <teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com (teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com)>
Date: Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:42 AM
To: Team-Grumman <teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com (teamgrumman-list(at)matronics.com)>
Subject: Re: TeamGrumman-List: JPI v EI

Not quite sure what you mean Bruce. But, in case you don't know my experience with the JPI . . .
My experience with JPIs displaying higher temps than EIs goes back to 1999. I had replaced an EI in a Comanche with a EDM-700. He got a good deal on one at Sun-n-Fun and liked the display.
He took off on the maiden flight and immediately returned to the ramp saying I'd done something to his engine because now the CHTs were over 450 on climb-out. I took everything apart and inspected the entire installation. Nothing wrong.
Not long after that, I installed an EDM-700 in Tiger N72T. I was amazed at the temps. 15 years ago I didn't have that much experience with either analyzer so I didn't really know what to think.
In about 2001, I asked Ken Tunnell at LyCon if he could do a side-by-side test of both systems because I suspected the JPI might show much different temps. That never happened. Sometime later that year, Ken called and told me about an engine on which he'd been dealing with high CHTs when installed in the owners plane.
The plane was a Husky and located in Wyoming. The owner had installed a new EDM-700 along with the new engine. Long story short, Ken found nothing, sent the engine back, the owner found high temps, sent the engine back, engine torn down and inspected, nothing found, engine sent back. That was when I was called. I talked to the guy in WY and told him my experiences.
I had removed an EI from a plane that got a new engine around 2005/2006 and installed an EDM-700. That EI sat in my shop for a while when I decided to install it in N28747; that was about 2007. I installed it exactly parallel to the EDM-800; i.e., both attached to the main buss with a dedicated CB, both connected to the engine mount ground using their own ground wires. I ran the #3 CHT probe to my #3 cylinder.
Over the next year plus I recorded temps on every flight. The results of that testing was published in March/April 2008 STAR. I saw temps on the #3 cylinder magically up to 80 degrees lower than I'd seen before.  Personally, I think the JPIs temps are more realistic.

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:29 AM, L. Bruce Smith <haveblue1(at)mac.com (haveblue1(at)mac.com)> wrote:

--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: "L. Bruce Smith" <haveblue1(at)mac.com (haveblue1(at)mac.com)>

Gary,

Bruce
On Jan 31, 2014, at 11:47 PM, Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> TeamGrumman-List message posted by: Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com (teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com)>

Gary
Sent frop://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List" target="_blank">http://he Web -Matt Dralle, List Admin.=======

Quote:

com
ronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: