Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B&C alternator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnicholson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: B&C alternator Reply with quote

saw lots of discussion about fittings...

One question:
Apparently you save ~30lbs exchanging the old generator and accessories for a 35 Amp alternator.  30lbs on a 3000lb aircraft (CJ) will according to rough estimates, save you ~one percent on fuel costs.  Math is not my strong suit (not even close)... but assuming 500 hours flown at an all in 15 gph, you would have saved 75 gallons a year correct? at $5.00 a gallon, that works out to $375.  In two years, the unit has paid for itself - - not too shabby. Any other reasons to make the change or is this something best done upon generator failure?

Thanks,
Phil
(CJ6A - C-FEPN)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
jblake207(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: B&C alternator Reply with quote

500 hours per year! Wow!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I didn't change due to generator failure. In fact, I have a generator or two for the CJ if anybody wants them. $50 bucks each, shipping and a cold beer at our next meeting. I changed to the alternator because my solid state voltage regulator was inop. The cost of a new VR was about $400 - $500 dollars and there was no warranty. In other words, if it didn't work once installed, then "Sorry Charlie." Thus the decision to convert to the alternator. I've had mine for about 4 fours and the only issue was a loose wire that was easily repaired.
Jon Blake
jblake207(at)comcast.net

To: "Yak-List" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:23:01 PM
Subject: B&C alternator

saw lots of discussion about fittings...

One question:
Apparently you save ~30lbs exchanging the old generator and accessories for a 35 Amp alternator. 30lbs on a 3000lb aircraft (CJ) will according to rough estimates, save you ~one percent on fuel costs. Math is not my strong suit (not even close)... but assuming 500 hours flown at an all in 15 gph, you would have saved 75 gallons a year correct? at $5.00 a gallon, that works out to $375. In two years, the unit has paid for itself - - not too shabby. Any other reasons to make the change or is this something best done upon generator failure?

Thanks,
Phil
(CJ6A - C-FEPN)

[quote]
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: B&C alternator Reply with quote

I might suggest, dropping 30 pounds from the airplane, most on the nose, does require a new weight and balance.....a REAL weight and balance. ie: reweigh the airplane and calculate a new CG. Many people have added weight to the tail after removing much of the old avionics from the CJ. Now removing the old generator and VR will make the CG go even further aft.

The only reason I bring this up is because without knowing what the new CG might be and then possibly putting a 200 lb+ person and baggage/stuff in the back could very well put the airplane in an out of CG (aft) condition.
Dennis
Quote:
A. Dennis Savarese
334-285-6263
334-546-8182 (mobile)
www.yak-52.com
Skype - Yakguy1
On 2/25/2014 12:23 PM, Philip Nicholson wrote:

[quote] saw lots of discussion about fittings...

One question:
Apparently you save ~30lbs exchanging the old generator and accessories for a 35 Amp alternator. 30lbs on a 3000lb aircraft (CJ) will according to rough estimates, save you ~one percent on fuel costs. Math is not my strong suit (not even close)... but assuming 500 hours flown at an all in 15 gph, you would have saved 75 gallons a year correct? at $5.00 a gallon, that works out to $375. In two years, the unit has paid for itself - - not too shabby. Any other reasons to make the change or is this something best done upon generator failure?

Thanks,
Phil
(CJ6A - C-FEPN)

Quote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: