Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight to Lancaster and back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Flight to Lancaster and back Reply with quote

On Saturday, we took 626 to Lancaster. Nice tail wind the whole way. Averaged 150 knots. We used 17 gallons of gas for a trip that normally takes 21-22 gallons.

The flight back would be pushing wind.

During climbout from Lancaster, heading back to Auburn, the 430 GPS/JPI showed -1 (minus 1) gallon reserve upon arriving in Auburn.

Those who know me, I never fly at less than 2700 rpm. Well, at the end of the climb to 8500 feet, enroute to Auburn, I throttled back to 2600, speed at 120 knots, leaned until it missed (then just barely enough to stop the miss), and watched our reserve go to 5.5 gallons.

We were pushing a 9 to 12 knot headwind.

After about 30 minutes, I throttled back to 2500 rpm. Leaned more. Speed dropped to 110 knots. Reserve went to 6.5 gallons. I wanted to see around 7.5 to 8 gallons reserve. Just North of Fresno (the wind usually changes at Fresno) the wind hadn't changed and I thought it might be better at 6500 feet. Plus, the descent might pick up a few knots and stretch the reserve.

The speed helped briefly, reserve went to 6.8 gallons, but at 6500 feet the headwind was 12 to 15 knots. I throttled back to 2400 rpm, leaned, and the speed dropped to 105 knots. The reserve climbed slowly to 7.3 gallons. 30 miles from Auburn, the wind speed dropped to around 8 knots and the reserve went to 7.5 gallons.

The descent from 6500 feet to 2500 feet began 20 miles out. Reserve didn't seem to change. Landing and rollout was uneventful. I didn't run a tank dry. Taxiing to the ramp the Reserve said 7.3 gallons. The flight back took 3 hours and 15 minutes.

I haven't put gas in it. We flew 576 kt miles in just over 5 hours on 44 gallons of gas.

Gary
Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Discover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Flight to Lancaster and back Reply with quote

I hate flights like that where you worry about having enough fuel ....

Seems I never forget flights where I worried about having enough fuel...

On Mar 18, 2014, at 1:56 AM, Gary L Vogt <teamgrumman(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

On Saturday, we took 626 to Lancaster. Nice tail wind the whole way. Averaged 150 knots. We used 17 gallons of gas for a trip that normally takes 21-22 gallons.

The flight back would be pushing wind.

During climbout from Lancaster, heading back to Auburn, the 430 GPS/JPI showed -1 (minus 1) gallon reserve upon arriving in Auburn.

Those who know me, I never fly at less than 2700 rpm. Well, at the end of the climb to 8500 feet, enroute to Auburn, I throttled back to 2600, speed at 120 knots, leaned until it missed (then just barely enough to stop the miss), and watched our reserve go to 5.5 gallons.

We were pushing a 9 to 12 knot headwind.

After about 30 minutes, I throttled back to 2500 rpm. Leaned more. Speed dropped to 110 knots. Reserve went to 6.5 gallons. I wanted to see around 7.5 to 8 gallons reserve. Just North of Fresno (the wind usually changes at Fresno) the wind hadn't changed and I thought it might be better at 6500 feet. Plus, the descent might pick up a few knots and stretch the reserve.

The speed helped briefly, reserve went to 6.8 gallons, but at 6500 feet the headwind was 12 to 15 knots. I throttled back to 2400 rpm, leaned, and the speed dropped to 105 knots. The reserve climbed slowly to 7.3 gallons. 30 miles from Auburn, the wind speed dropped to around 8 knots and the reserve went to 7.5 gallons.

The descent from 6500 feet to 2500 feet began 20 miles out. Reserve didn't seem to change. Landing and rollout was uneventful. I didn't run a tank dry. Taxiing to the ramp the Reserve said 7.3 gallons. The flight back took 3 hours and 15 minutes.

I haven't put gas in it. We flew 576 kt miles in just over 5 hours on 44 gallons of gas.

Gary
Sent from my iPad

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: