Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

>Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldsfolks(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

What in the world are you hauling in your RV ???? If you have an arc
welder,then you might need that many amps !!! otherwise come down to earth and
get a proper sized alternator. I can't imagine anyone needing more than 45 amp
output in an RV.
If others can show that more is needed,then do so.
I have flown with radios,xpndr,strobe/nav lights and 130 watt landing lights
on and didn't need more than 35 amps,which my alternaror puts out.
I use a Toyota alternator with 4" pulley.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
A&P , EAA Tech. Counselor
Charleston,Arkansas
Real Aviators Fly Taildraggers

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
chaztuna(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

Bob,
Some of us are using heated seats in our RVs. This makes use of a 60 amp alternator useful. Also, running an alternator for extended periods close to it's rated power will tend to shorten it's life. The diodes in the rectifier will be the items to fail.
I agree with George (gmcjetpilot) that operating an alternator at 50% of rated load will greatly extend it's life.
Charlie Kuss
---- Oldsfolks(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:

What in the world are you hauling in your RV ???? If you have an arc
welder,then you might need that many amps !!! otherwise come down to earth and
get a proper sized alternator. I can't imagine anyone needing more than 45 amp
output in an RV.
If others can show that more is needed,then do so.
I have flown with radios,xpndr,strobe/nav lights and 130 watt landing lights
on and didn't need more than 35 amps,which my alternaror puts out.
I use a Toyota alternator with 4" pulley.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
A&P , EAA Tech. Counselor
Charleston,Arkansas
Real Aviators Fly Taildraggers

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ronlee(at)pcisys.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob,
Some of us are using heated seats in our RVs.

Well now aren't some of us so special that we need heated tushie warmers.

And you call yourself an RV pilot. Hah!

Ron Lee

Pst.. don't tell anyone I asked but where did you get those seat warmers?
ronlee(at)pcisys.net

Do not archive please

sportav8r(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

Bob-

My experience with the 35 amp Van's machine is that I get a LV warn light (setpoint 12.5V) after a minute or two of landing lights on in the pattern (2x55 watts), so I'm not that impressed with its performance. The supplied regulator from Van's has also treated me to pulsating (maybe 1.5 hz) intensity of my radio dial lights from day one (7 years now), so I'm ready for a change. The new and improved electrical system is designed for heated seats and heated pitot, also.

I came home with the alternator I did b/c it was the only ER alternator in stock that came close to matching the numbers I went in looking for. If there is a weight penalty for the extra amps, I'll take it back and wait for an ordered unit to come in. George has given me some good numbers to track down, but I'm not ready to abandon the external regualtion philosophy, so that may limit my search.

-BB

--

ebundy(at)speedyquick.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

I also had the pulsating radio lights (not to mention a constant ammeter
oscillation) with the solid state regulator from Van's. It never has caused
a problem in 9 years, but while I was under the panel doing an avionics
upgrade I decided to put in a Ford VR166 (which is not current, but there is
a cross-ref part) that I bought for $12.99 at Autozone. No more pulsating,
no more ammeter oscillations.

I also have the 35a alternator, but it never gets below 13.5V at idle.
Maybe your VR is causing that problem too.

Ed Bundy
RV6a - just celebrated its 9th birthday!

Quote:
My experience with the 35 amp Van's machine is that I get a LV warn light
(setpoint 12.5V) after a minute or two of landing lights on in the pattern

(2x55 watts), so I'm not that impressed with its performance. The supplied
regulator from Van's has also treated me to pulsating (maybe 1.5 hz)
intensity of my radio dial lights from day one (7 years now), so I'm ready
for a change. The new and improved electrical system is designed for heated
seats and heated pitot, also.

--

tn3639(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

The supplied regulator from Van's has also treated me to pulsating (maybe
1.5 hz) intensity of my radio dial lights from day one (7 years now),>_-

I had the same problem with my Van's adjustable regulator but after
searching the archives I found the answer. Bad connection or ground. Mine
was a bad connection at the master switch. Once I fixed that the pulsing
went away. As for the low voltage issue I get the same thing with all the
lights on in the pattern <2000rpm.

Scott

============================================================
Quote:

sportav8r(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

Thanks, Ed. that's encouraging news. I have a new VR-301 regualtor to be installed, which a search of the archives tells me is a valid substitute and blessed by Bob himself.

I honestly haven't run an amp budget for my proposed upgrades to the RV, but I have a feeling the heated seats and heated pitot might put a strain on the old Honda 35 amp machine. Besides, at 550 hrs it's getting long in the tooth! BTW, my bus voltage is about 14.9 with no load; kinda high.

A review of the Vicic.com.tw site, inputting all crossing #'s for ER/IF alternators from a site where they make the casings (Google hits) confirms the lack of availability of under-90 amp machines with external regulation. I might be better off keeping the one I bought this weekend, unless Niagra or Landoll are considered as vendors, which I need to do.

-Bill

--

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

How old is your battery, & is it known to be in good shape?

(surrender to the inevitable. get an ir)

sportav8r(at)AOL.COM wrote:

[quote]

Thanks, Ed. that's encouraging news. I have a new VR-301 regualtor to be installed, which a search of the archives tells me is a valid substitute and blessed by Bob himself.

I honestly haven't run an amp budget for my proposed upgrades to the RV, but I have a feeling the heated seats and heated pitot might put a strain on the old Honda 35 amp machine. Besides, at 550 hrs it's getting long in the tooth! BTW, my bus voltage is about 14.9 with no load; kinda high.

A review of the Vicic.com.tw site, inputting all crossing #'s for ER/IF alternators from a site where they make the casings (Google hits) confirms the lack of availability of under-90 amp machines with external regulation. I might be better off keeping the one I bought this weekend, unless Niagra or Landoll are considered as vendors, which I need to do.

-Bill

--

sportav8r(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

I'll admit to keeping my batteries too long, but I'm on my second Odyssey and third battery since completion in 1998. All have held up well as far as I know, despite the higher than expected voltage flogging. Battery age has never affected these little issues at all; as others have said, a sub-par regualtor or more likely a high ohmic connection in the feedback loop are prime suspects.

I'll consider an IR when Bob N. has figured out an external OV protection scheme that stands up in the lab; until then, my soon to be 20 kilobuck avionics suite will enjoy a crowbar's constant oversight, thank you very much Smile

-Stormy

--

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

sportav8r(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:

I'll admit to keeping my batteries too long, but I'm on my second Odyssey and third battery since completion in 1998. All have held up well as far as I know, despite the higher than expected voltage flogging. Battery age has never affected these little issues at all; as others have said, a sub-par regualtor or more likely a high ohmic connection in the feedback loop are prime suspects.

I'll consider an IR when Bob N. has figured out an external OV protection scheme that stands up in the lab; until then, my soon to be 20 kilobuck avionics suite will enjoy a crowbar's constant oversight, thank you very much Smile

-Stormy

The quick drop in voltage when loaded just sounded a bit suspicious. I'd
agree that it's probably either the regulator or wiring issues, as
others have suggested.

I haven't followed every detail of the er/ir debate, since I've run an
ir successfully for over 10 years, but the only downside I've noticed to
an OV protected ir is the chance of damaging the alternator if the B
lead is disconnected under load. This shouldn't happen if you operate
the system like a car. The only time the B lead would get disconnected
under load is if the alternator has already failed in an overvoltage
mode, to which I respond, 'why do I care if I damage a broken
alternator?' Risk to avionics should approach zero, assuming the OV
protection relay does its job.

The upside to ir's, for me at least, is that almost all those potential
wiring problems go away. The internal regulator is designed to operate
in the heat environment of the alternator itself, so as long as you
don't block airflow to the alternator, it should be operating in its
design environment. Environment is an unknown variable with an er,
unless you do the same kind of under-hood testing that car makers do.

Charlie

sportav8r(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: >Re:need some advice here,guys-alternator for RV Reply with quote

So the reason we don't have external OV protection schemes on the AeroElectric platform is due to load-dump concers about, as you say, an already-damaged alternator? I wasn't following tha

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: