Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

commander annuals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joel.carter131(at)GMAIL.C

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: commander annuals Reply with quote

I'm a commander enthusiast looking for answers.

1) What would be a ballpark cost for a typical no squawk or low squawk annual on a well maintained straight 500 in $ and hours?

2) I read somewhere that to avoid hydraulic problems all hoses, fittings, etc should be replaced every 10 years at a cost of $10k. True?

3) How much of a problem have those spar cap AD's been? It seems commanders are disappearing from the registry. Any relation to concerns about the wing?

That's all for now. Thanks,
Joel

- The Matronics Commander-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Commander-List
dfalik(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: commander annuals Reply with quote

1. My last 2 annuals on my 500S (1970 model) were $21,000.00 and $14,000.00 and that was I the 3rd. and 4th. year of my well cared for ownership.

2. It is recommended to change the hydraulic hoses every 5 years. I would expect the cost to be $5000.00-7,000.00 based on the cost the last time I did min which was about 5 years ago.

3. On my 500S the spar cap AD was more of a nuisance and cost penalty. The cost is having to dismantle the interior ceiling to gain access to the spar. Then you have to find someone certified to do the procedure which doesn't take much time.

I suspect that the disappearance of Commanders from the registry may have more to do with parts accessibility for the older models especially related to the geared engines.

This is from an ex-Commander owner (4 years and 1000 hours). It was the most fantastic airplane to fly but the costs took a lot of the pleasure out of it. I made the mistake of putting a spread sheet to it and and the hourly cost was in the $550.00/hr. range. That is an awful lot for a hobby and you learn the true definition of an addiction.

I now fly a pristine Geronimo. It is more than half the cost and only 1/3 less performance. The cost differential is just a guess as I refuse to accurately calculate it.

I hope I have been impartially helpful. If $$ was not an issue at all, I probably would still be flying the Commander.

The other issue was where to park it. My hanger that I had for a single engine Commander 114 only had a 10 foot door that obviously didn't accommodate a plane with a 14.5 foot tail.

Don

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On May 16, 2014, at 8:13 PM, joel carter <joel.carter131(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I'm a commander enthusiast looking for answers.

1) What would be a ballpark cost for a typical no squawk or low squawk annual on a well maintained straight 500 in $ and hours?

2) I read somewhere that to avoid hydraulic problems all hoses, fittings, etc should be replaced every 10 years at a cost of $10k. True?

3) How much of a problem have those spar cap AD's been? It seems commanders are disappearing from the registry. Any relation to concerns about the wing?

That's all for now. Thanks,
Joel

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

stratobee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: commander annuals Reply with quote

I had one of the old geared ones, the 520. Loved the plane, but like Don it ultimately became a problem servicing stuff and finding parts. Plus I needed an all weather tourer. The 500's are a lot better as they have "normal" systems. My cheapest annual was $7000, my most expensive well over $20K.

I miss my Commander, I have to say. Not many twins you can fly into short and unpaved fields with. If I had the money I'd get a 500 and have two planes - one for travel and one Commander for more bush flying/camping.

joel.carter131(at)GMAIL.C

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: commander annuals Reply with quote

Thanks Adam, and thanks Don. I got another response from someone with an address of yourtcfg.com, but it was in HTML format and I couldn't read it. Any ideas?

Joel
On May 23, 2014, at 3:22 PM, stratobee <adam(at)adamfrisch.com> wrote:

Quote:

I had one of the old geared ones, the 520. Loved the plane, but like Don it ultimately became a problem servicing stuff and finding parts. Plus I needed an all weather tourer. The 500's are a lot better as they have "normal" systems. My cheapest annual was $7000, my most expensive well over $20K.

I miss my Commander, I have to say. Not many twins you can fly into short and unpaved fields with. If I had the money I'd get a 500 and have two planes - one for travel and one Commander for more bush flying/camping.

--------
Adam

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=423672#423672

stratobee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: commander annuals Reply with quote

That's captain JimBob. If you go in at this forum list it will appear as a separate entry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Commander-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: