Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

70 psi compression

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarg314(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

In the last compression test of my IO-360, after running the engine only a minute or two, showed 70 psi on cyl #4.  The A&P doing the measurement removed the dip stick and listened at the oil filler pipe. He could hear hissing which he says means it's leaking past the rings, which didn't seem to bother him much. Only 130 SMOH. Not using any oil.

Is it worth repeating the measurement after flying the thing a few hours?  I've been told the gaps in the rings can line up and affect the measurement.
Should I have run the engine longer than a couple minutes before doing the measurement?

How low is "low"?   At what point do I have to rebuild/replace the cylinder?

Thanks for any info/opinions/war stories.

--
Tom Sargent
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

I'm no engine guru but my experience is free .....
On 6/25/2014 3:45 PM, Thomas Sargent wrote:

Quote:
In the last compression test of my IO-360, after running the engine only a minute or two, showed 70 psi on cyl #4.  The A&P doing the measurement removed the dip stick and listened at the oil filler pipe. He could hear hissing which he says means it's leaking past the rings, which didn't seem to bother him much. Only 130 SMOH. Not using any oil.

Is it worth repeating the measurement after flying the thing a few hours?  I've been told the gaps in the rings can line up and affect the measurement.

I'd run it again  ...... a short flight around the patch should do it ..... and the gaps aligning is possible, but IMHO not probable.
Quote:

Should I have run the engine longer than a couple minutes before doing the measurement?

I would, just to get the cylinder temps up a bit.
Quote:

How low is "low"?   At what point do I have to rebuild/replace the cylinder?

That's up to your A&P/IA ....  but I believe 60 is a worry point.
[quote]

--
Tom Sargent

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

I would throw this measurement away.

Go fly the airplane and get all engine up to normal temperatures then redo the compression test.  Do not be surprised if a cylinder changes ~2 psi or so from test to test.  Log the results in the engine log book after each test.  I typically do a compression test at each oil change, but not less than at each annual.  If you don’t have a compression tester then perhaps you should.  This is something I view as a standard maintenance tool – and are available at ACS for less than $100. 

Attached is the Lycoming SI on this. 

Carl

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Sargent
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:45 PM
To: rv-list
Subject: 70 psi compression

In the last compression test of my IO-360, after running the engine only a minute or two, showed 70 psi on cyl #4. The A&P doing the measurement removed the dip stick and listened at the oil filler pipe. He could hear hissing which he says means it's leaking past the rings, which didn't seem to bother him much. Only 130 SMOH. Not using any oil.

Is it worth repeating the measurement after flying the thing a few hours? I've been told the gaps in the rings can line up and affect the measurement.

How low is "low"? At what point do I have to rebuild/replace the cylinder?

--
Tom Sargent
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cylinder_Compression.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Cylinder_Compression.pdf
 Filesize:  119.54 KB
 Downloaded:  1254 Time(s)

vshimsl(at)live.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Thanks for the document!
VinceH
RV8-flying
--- Original Message ---

Sent: June 25, 2014 1:28 PM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: 70 psi compression

I would throw this measurement away.

Go fly the airplane and get all engine up to normal temperatures then redo the compression test. Do not be surprised if a cylinder changes ~2 psi or so from test to test. Log the results in the engine log book after each test. I typically do a compression test at each oil change, but not less than at each annual. If you don’t have a compression tester then perhaps you should. This is something I view as a standard maintenance tool – and are available at ACS for less than $100.

Attached is the Lycoming SI on this.
Carl

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Sargent
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:45 PM
Subject: 70 psi compression

In the last compression test of my IO-360, after running the engine only a minute or two, showed 70 psi on cyl #4. The A&P doing the measurement removed the dip stick and listened at the oil filler pipe. He could hear hissing which he says means it's leaking past the rings, which didn't seem to bother him much. Only 130 SMOH. Not using any oil.

Is it worth repeating the measurement after flying the thing a few hours? I've been told the gaps in the rings can line up and affect the measurement

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

I assume we are talking an experimental here, so no IA involvement
needed, just A&P for condition inspection if you are not the builder.
If the only leakage is past the rings, oil consumption will guide you to
when you feel the need to do something about the cylinder.
I would fly the engine hard for at least 10 hours, to see if the rings
did not fully seat on that cylinder. Running it at 75% or even a bit
higher, as long as you keep cylinder temps below 400 will not hurt
anything, and may get those rings seated. 70/80 is nothing to worry
about. Maybe a bit low for as low a time engine as you havel
As long as the leakage is not from a valve you can go down below 50/80
and still make full rated power.
Kelly
A&P/IA
EAA Tech Counselor

On 6/25/2014 12:58 PM, Linn Walters wrote:
Quote:
I'm no engine guru but my experience is free .....
How low is "low"? At what point do I have to rebuild/replace the
cylinder?
That's up to your A&P/IA .... but I believe 60 is a worry point.*\\*

sarg314(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information.

Reading the Lycoming Service instructions, I should note that cyl#1 showed 88psi.  I was doing the test as part of the annual inspection. Last year they were all in the 72 - 78 range I think.  What does an anomalously high reading indicate?  Off hand I would have guessed that the higher the better, but apparently not. Lyc. says more than 15psi difference is trouble.

I think I need to repeat this whole test soon after actually flying the plane.

I'm still finishing the annual, I haven't flown it for a couple weeks.
Quote:

--
Tom Sargent

[quote][b]

wgreenley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

An 88 means something is wrong with the equipment or the methodology. The max is 80 with the standardized orifice.

Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: 70 psi compression

Reading the Lycoming Service instructions, I should note that cyl#1 showed 88psi. I was doing the test as part of the annual inspection. Last year they were all in the 72 - 78 range I think. What does an anomalously high reading indicate? Off hand I would have guessed that the higher the better, but apparently not. Lyc. says more than 15psi difference is trouble.

Quote:

--
Tom Sargent

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Since the test rig provides regulated 80 psi input (if properly adjusted), your 88/80 reading makes no sense. In other words zero leakage means you would read 80/80. I suspect the test was done wrong.
Carl

On Jun 25, 2014, at 7:10 PM, Thomas Sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]

Reading the Lycoming Service instructions, I should note that cyl#1 showed 88psi. I was doing the test as part of the annual inspection. Last year they were all in the 72 - 78 range I think. What does an anomalously high reading indicate? Off hand I would have guessed that the higher the better, but apparently not. Lyc. says more than 15psi difference is trouble.

Quote:

--
Tom Sargent

Quote:
is

=
[b]

vanremog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Just a wild question since no one has asked it...How can one get an 88 psig aircraft bleed down type compression reading with 80 psig supplied air?

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

One needs to check the calibration of the compression tester. Easy way
is to not connect the hose to the cylinder, then crank the primary gauge
up to 80. The secondary should read 80 also. If more than a pound or so
in either direction it needs to be recalibrated.
88 over 80 is not physically possible. 80/80 is the absolute best you
can get.

On 6/25/2014 4:10 PM, Thomas Sargent wrote:
Quote:

Reading the Lycoming Service instructions, I should note that cyl#1
showed 88psi. I was doing the test as part of the annual inspection.
Last year they were all in the 72 - 78 range I think. What does an
anomalously high reading indicate? Off hand I would have guessed that
the higher the better, but apparently not. Lyc. says more than 15psi
difference is trouble.

I think I need to repeat this whole test soon after actually flying
the plane.

--
Tom Sargent

flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com) wrote:

Quote:
Just a wild question since no one has asked it...How can one get an 88 psig aircraft bleed down type compression reading with 80 psig supplied air?
You can't if you use the differential gauge properly. I can only surmise that 88 was a typo.
Linn

[quote]

--

sarg314(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Well 88 may well be a mistake, but that's what the A&P said.  He seemed a bit baffled.  I have my own compression tester now.  I will do it myself next time.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote] On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com) wrote:

Quote:
You can't if you use the differential gauge properly.  I can only surmise that 88 was a typo.
Linn

[quote]  

--

sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Be careful.  Two-man job to do safely... 80 psi into one jug can be deadly if the prop gets away from you and your noggin is in the way.  

IIRC, the trend in the "literature" is away from compression testing altogether and toward boroscopy as a means of assessing engine health.
--kind of like internal like medicine... the old standards of screening are giving way to the $$ passing-of-scopes $$ into various body cavities.
-Stormy

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Well 88 may well be a mistake, but that's what the A&P said.  He seemed a bit baffled.  I have my own compression tester now.  I will do it myself next time.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Linn Walters <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote] On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com) wrote:

Quote:
You can't if you use the differential gauge properly.  I can only surmise that 88 was a typo.
Linn

[quote]  

--

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Not really. Until Appendix D of Part 43 gets re-written, compression
tests are mandatory for both certified and experimental aircraft. Item
(d) (3) of the appendix requires compression test, and AFAIK most all
experimental operating limitations require condition inspect that meets
requirements of Appendix D as a minimum. Yes, borescope is good addition
to checking cylinder health, but FAA does not recognize it as a complete
substitute.
IF one gains the experience to get a cylinder to TDC there will be no
force on the prop. But allowing it to go very many degrees either side
of TDC generates a dangerous force in the prop. I position prop near
TDC, dial up about 20psi while adjusting prop for minimum to no force
at the prop, then bring the pressure on up to 80. I also make sure to
hold prop such that if it got away from me it would hurt nothing.
Especially keep rest of body besides hand outside the prop arc.I don't
even pick up compression tester until I have prop in safe position.

On 6/26/2014 8:27 AM, Bill Boyd wrote:
[quote] Be careful. Two-man job to do safely... 80 psi into one jug can be
deadly if the prop gets away from you and your noggin is in the way.

IIRC, the trend in the "literature" is away from compression testing
altogether and toward boroscopy as a means of assessing engine health.
--kind of like internal like medicine... the old standards of
screening are giving way to the $$ passing-of-scopes $$ into various
body cavities.

-Stormy
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com
<mailto:sarg314(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

Well 88 may well be a mistake, but that's what the A&P said. He
seemed a bit baffled. I have my own compression tester now. I
will do it myself next time.
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Linn Walters
<flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com <mailto:flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com>> wrote:

On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com
<mailto:vanremog(at)aol.com> wrote:
> Just a wild question since no one has asked it...How can one
> get an 88 psig aircraft bleed down type compression reading
> with 80 psig supplied air?
You can't if you use the differential gauge properly. I can
only surmise that 88 was a typo.
Linn
> --

jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

In addition to the regs - I can't see how a visual inspection w/ a bore scope/camera would be a good substitute for actually testing seals by putting actual air pressure on them. I don't think the Compression Test is going to disappear anytime soon - it's such a great diagnostic.
-Jeff

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:36 PM, Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com> wrote:

--> RV-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

experimental operating limitations require condition inspect that meets
requirements of Appendix D as a minimum. Yes, borescope is good addition
to checking cylinder health, but FAA does not recognize it as a complete
substitute.

[quote] Be careful. Two-man job to do safely... 80 psi into one jug can be
deadly if the prop gets away from you and your noggin is in the way.

IIRC, the trend in the "literature" is away from compression testing
altogether and toward boroscopy as a means of assessing engine health.
--kind of like internal like medicine... the old standards of
screening are giving way to the $$ passing-of-scopes $$ into various
body cavities.

-Stormy
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com)
<mailto:sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com)>> wrote:

Well 88 may well be a mistake, but that's what the A&P said. He
seemed a bit baffled. I have my own compression tester now. I
<flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com) <mailto:flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>> wrote:

On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com)
<mailto:vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com)> wrote:
> Just a wild question since no one has asked it...How can one
>   get an 88 psig aircraft bleed down type compression reading
> with 80 psig supplied air?
Linn
>   --

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

Even if you buy into the idea that a compression test is required during
the condition inspection, it doesn't mean you have to give it any weight
in your appraisal of the engine's health. Smile I suspect that Bill was
saying that more recent research has shown the traditional compression
test to be a very poor indicator of a cylinder's condition (unless, of
course, it's very very low and you can hear a 'breeze' blowing out the
exhaust or intake...).

I've gotten a 75+ reading on a cylinder that had a broken ring, and a
low-70s reading followed the next year by a high-70s reading on the same
cylinder, when checked 'cold'.

If you haven't done it already, I'd suggest reading everything you can
find by Mike Busch (writes for Sport Aviation, in addition to seminars,
webinars, etc).

Charlie
(If your mechanic insists that he got an 88/80 reading, then in the
immortal words of Monty Python, 'Run away! Run away!' (from that mechanic).

On 6/26/2014 2:26 PM, Kelly McMullen wrote:
[quote]

experimental operating limitations require condition inspect that
meets requirements of Appendix D as a minimum. Yes, borescope is good
addition to checking cylinder health, but FAA does not recognize it as
a complete substitute.

> Be careful. Two-man job to do safely... 80 psi into one jug can be
> deadly if the prop gets away from you and your noggin is in the way.
>
> IIRC, the trend in the "literature" is away from compression testing
> altogether and toward boroscopy as a means of assessing engine health.
> --kind of like internal like medicine... the old standards of
> screening are giving way to the $$ passing-of-scopes $$ into various
> body cavities.
>
> -Stormy
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com
> <mailto:sarg314(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Well 88 may well be a mistake, but that's what the A&P said. He
> seemed a bit baffled. I have my own compression tester now. I
> will do it myself next time.
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Linn Walters
> <flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com <mailto:flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com>> wrote:
>
> On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com
> <mailto:vanremog(at)aol.com> wrote:
>> Just a wild question since no one has asked it...How can one
>> get an 88 psig aircraft bleed down type compression reading
>> with 80 psig supplied air?
> You can't if you use the differential gauge properly. I can
> only surmise that 88 was a typo.
> Linn
>> --

vanremog(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

baffled is not the word I was thinking of...

-GV

--

sarg314(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: 70 psi compression Reply with quote

I repeated the measurement myself this afternoon after running the engine until cyl. head temp hit 400 deg. (not hard when it's 105 outside).  I got all cylinders between 73 and 76.
The guy who did the first, obviously wrong,measurement is definitely an old hand,  I don't know what went wrong - I wasn't watching - but something certainly did..

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

Even if you buy into the idea that a compression test is required during the condition inspection, it doesn't mean you have to give it any weight in your appraisal of the engine's health. Smile I suspect that Bill was saying that more recent research has shown the traditional compression test to be a very poor indicator of a cylinder's condition (unless, of course, it's very very low and you can hear a 'breeze' blowing out the exhaust or intake...).

I've gotten a 75+ reading on a cylinder that had a broken ring, and a low-70s reading followed the next year by a high-70s reading on the same cylinder, when checked 'cold'.

If you haven't done it already, I'd suggest reading everything you can find by Mike Busch (writes for Sport Aviation, in addition to seminars, webinars, etc).

Charlie
(If your mechanic insists that he got an 88/80 reading, then in the immortal words of Monty Python, 'Run away! Run away!' (from that mechanic).

On 6/26/2014 2:26 PM, Kelly McMullen wrote:
[quote] --> RV-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Not really. Until Appendix D of Part 43 gets re-written, compression tests are mandatory for both certified and experimental aircraft. Item (d) (3) of the appendix requires compression test, and AFAIK most all experimental operating limitations require condition inspect that meets requirements of Appendix D as a minimum. Yes, borescope is good addition to checking cylinder health, but FAA does not recognize it as a complete substitute.
IF one gains the experience to get a cylinder to TDC there will be no force on the prop. But allowing it to go very many degrees either side of TDC generates a dangerous force in the prop. I position prop near TDC, dial up about 20psi while adjusting prop for minimum  to no force at the prop, then bring the pressure on up to 80. I also make sure to hold prop such that if it got away from me it would hurt nothing. Especially keep rest of body besides hand outside the prop arc.I don't even pick up compression tester until I have prop in safe position.

[quote] Be careful.  Two-man job to do safely... 80 psi into one jug can be deadly if the prop gets away from you and your noggin is in the way.

IIRC, the trend in the "literature" is away from compression testing altogether and toward boroscopy as a means of assessing engine health.
--kind of like internal like medicine... the old standards of screening are giving way to the $$ passing-of-scopes $$ into various body cavities.

-Stormy

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Thomas Sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com) <mailto:sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com)>> wrote:

Well 88 may well be a mistake, but that's what the A&P said.  He
    seemed a bit baffled.  I have my own compression tester now.  I

<flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com) <mailto:flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com (flying-nut(at)cfl.rr.com)>> wrote:

On 6/25/2014 9:44 PM, vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com)
        <mailto:vanremog(at)aol.com (vanremog(at)aol.com)> wrote:
Quote:
        Just a wild question since no one has asked it..How can one
        get an 88 psig aircraft bleed down type compression reading
        with 80 psig supplied air?
        Linn
[quote]         --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: