Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aileron Trim - Vibration in Struts - Fuel Odour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genie(at)swissmail.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Aileron Trim - Vibration in Struts - Fuel Odour Reply with quote

Here are three (apparently) unrelated issues with my RV-6:

Aileron trim:

When I move the ailerons then the trim lever between the seats follows them. I have not noticed that before. From what I remember the trim lever remained in position and could be moved only by hand to adjust the ailerons. Is it normal for the trim lever to move with the ailerons? If not, is the aircraft airworthy if it does and what can be done to prevent this from happening?

Squeak and vibrations from wheel struts:

When I push my aircraft on the ground everything goes well. But when I stop I hear some squeaky sounds. Upon closer inspection vibrations emanate from the wheel struts. This happens also when I rock the aircraft or when I pull it backwards. I removed the wheel covers and pumped up the tyres. This did not have much effect. I can feel the vibration on the pants of the struts. What could the problem be and what can be done to remedy it? Does it have anything to do with the brake lines?

Slight odour of fuel in cockpit:

When I open the cockpit by sliding the canopy I think that I can smell slightly fuel. I have not noticed any leak or loss of fuel. After leaving the cockpit open for a few minutes this disappears. I have noticed this for the past few months. Is there anything I can do to locate the source of the odour? I suppose that there are a few vapours.

Thanks for answering any one of the above questions (or any combination).

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague, the Netherlands
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
Doug Gray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Aileron Trim - Vibration in Struts - Fuel Odour Reply with quote

1. The friction on the aileron trim lever set and adjusted by a nylon split block underneath the seat panel. Remove the lever handle and the seat floors then nip to nylon lock nut up a little to increase the friction. Airworthy with or without aileron trim.
2. First check the tension/torque on all 6 engine mount to firewall bolts. If these are loose the mount can move relative to the firewall giving the creaking sound. Second, check for cracks in the engine mount at the various welded areas, these don't creek but it would be wise to check them.
3. If you are using 100LL fuel and is dyed blue like this country (Australia) look for a residual blue stain around the fittings inside the cockpit. It will transfer to your fingers easily so you can simply feel around the plumbing. The blue dye is left behind after the fuel evaporates.
Doug

Sent from my iPad

On 27 Jul 2014, at 6:06 am, George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)> wrote:
[quote] Here are three (apparently) unrelated issues with my RV-6:

Aileron trim:

When I move the ailerons then the trim lever between the seats follows them. I have not noticed that before. From what I remember the trim lever remained in position and could be moved only by hand to adjust the ailerons. Is it normal for the trim lever to move with the ailerons? If not, is the aircraft airworthy if it does and what can be done to prevent this from happening?

When I push my aircraft on the ground everything goes well. But when I stop I hear some squeaky sounds. Upon closer inspection vibrations emanate from the wheel struts. This happens also when I rock the aircraft or when I pull it backwards. I removed the wheel covers and pumped up the tyres. This did not have much effect. I can feel the vibration on the pants of the struts. What could the problem be and what can be done to remedy it? Does it have anything to do with the brake lines?

When I open the cockpit by sliding the canopy I think that I can smell slightly fuel. I have not noticed any leak or loss of fuel. After leaving the cockpit open for a few minutes this disappears. I have noticed this for the past few months. Is there anything I can do to locate the source of the odour? I suppose that there are a few vapours.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
Quote:

===================================
//www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Aileron Trim - Vibration in Struts - Fuel Odour Reply with quote

Also worth checking:

2. If the mount is tight and there are no cracks, jack it up so that there's no load on the gear leg, & make sure it's not moving in its socket in the motor mount. Not likely, but worth checking. Also, the brakes can sometimes squeak, or drag a bit causing the brake line or leg fairing to vibrate as the plane is moved; might not be noticed until the plane comes to a stop and/or is rocked forward/aft to just rotate the wheels slightly.

3. If there's *any* leak at all at the tanks or anywhere else back of the firewall, the odor will find its way into the cabin. It might not even be bad enough (or be in a location you can't easily inspect) to see evidence of a leak. Because the canopy traps air in the cabin, natural air movements have a hard time dispersing the odors.

Charlie

On 7/26/2014 6:06 PM, Doug Gray wrote:

[quote] 1. The friction on the aileron trim lever set and adjusted by a nylon split block underneath the seat panel. Remove the lever handle and the seat floors then nip to nylon lock nut up a little to increase the friction.  Airworthy with or without aileron trim.
2. First check the tension/torque on all 6 engine mount to firewall bolts. If these are loose the mount can move relative to the firewall giving the creaking sound. Second, check for cracks in the engine mount at the various welded areas, these don't creek but it would be wise to check them.
3. If you are using 100LL fuel and is dyed blue like this country (Australia) look for a residual blue stain around the fittings inside the cockpit. It will transfer to your fingers easily so you can simply feel around the plumbing.  The blue dye is left behind after the fuel evaporates.
Doug

Sent from my iPad

On 27 Jul 2014, at 6:06 am, George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)> wrote:

Quote:
Here are three (apparently) unrelated issues with my RV-6:

Aileron trim:

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: