Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carrollswa(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery) Reply with quote

Hey all,I am preparing to wire my RV7 iaw the Z13 diagram in Aeroelectric. My question is, what busses and switches are you using for the system?The dual ignition should be wired to 2 single pole ignition switches. Are you putting them both on the main battery bus, the e-bus, or splitting them between the 2 busses?There are 2 ECU's. My understanding is there is no need to have them switch activated, but are you all switch activating them anyway? What bus are you putting them on? I am thinking that if I put them on the main battery bus, they should be switch activated. However, if I put them on the e-bus, they don't need to be...There are 2 fuel pumps: a primary pump and a secondary pump. Only 1 should be running at a time. I am thinking of also putting them on the main battery bus with a single dual pole switch (on-off-on). Any other recommendations?Thanks!

Sorry for any typos, this message was sent via a smartphone.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery) Reply with quote

I'm assuming Z13/8 since you mention 2 alternators.

Need to know more about...

Your primary flying mission?, ($100 hamburgers, frequent long cross country, aerobatic, low speed local fun flying, over in hospitable terrain/open water etc)

Type of EI? (Pmag, SDS, Lightspeed etc)

Do you have a mechanical fuel pump in addition to the two electrics?

Do your EI have their own power backup?

Z13/8 shows specific architecture showing how the busses and systems are laid out. Are you changing the basic architecture?

Will you use fuses, resettable breakers, switched breakers for the EI and pumps?

That's just a start.

Bevan

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Clark Carroll
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:47 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery)

Hey all,I am preparing to wire my RV7 iaw the Z13 diagram in Aeroelectric. My question is, what busses and switches are you using for the system?The dual ignition should be wired to 2 single pole ignition switches. Are you putting them both on the main battery bus, the e-bus, or splitting them between the 2 busses?There are 2 ECU's. My understanding is there is no need to have them switch activated, but are you all switch activating them anyway? What bus are you putting them on? I am thinking that if I put them on the main battery bus, they should be switch activated. However, if I put them on the e-bus, they don't need to be...There are 2 fuel pumps: a primary pump and a secondary pump. Only 1 should be running at a time. I am thinking of also putting them on the main battery bus with a single dual pole switch (on-off-on). Any other recommendations?Thanks!

Sorry for any typos, this message was sent via a smartphone.�~� [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery) Reply with quote

Both fuel pumps should NOT be controlled by one switch because that switch will eventually fail. How about two separate switches with a mechanical interlock so that only one switch can be turned on at a time? Is this a fuel injected system with high pressure fuel pumps? Can the fuel pressure regulator handle the flow from two pumps? When designing the electrical system, ask what will happen if this connection fails? Then either have a backup plan or make sure the connection is highly unlikely to ever fail.
Joe

carrollcw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery) Reply with quote

For now, I just want to get it in the air for day/vfr/acro only. However, I will later make it fully night IFR.

I am running the dual EFII ignition and fuel injection. Although I will have a mechanical pump, at least one electric pump must be running to sepply sufficient pressure.

EI does not have its own power backup. After speaking with Robert at EFII, I am planning on wiring the 2 ECU's, 2 Ignitions, and 2 Fuel pumps to the always hot battery bus with switches for each of them, although I was planning on wiring the fuel pumps with a single dual pole switch.

Basic architecture staying the same. Breakers for e-bus, fuses for everything else.

Thanks for the help!

jmjones2000(at)mindspring

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Wiring RV7 with Z13 diagram (2 alternators, 1 battery) Reply with quote

I also have the EFII system with redundant ecus.

Make sure you talk with Robert about the mechanical fuel pump in the EFII system. The issue I see with placing a mechanical fuel pump in the system would be pressurizing it with an electric fuel pump. The head pressure put out by the EFII pump module can damage the mechanical pump diaphragms. If one or both diaphragms begin to leak, you will loose fuel pressure to your injectors and they will fail to inject fuel into the cylinders, resulting in engine failure.

If you MUST have the mechanical pump in the system, I would suggest that the fuel from the tanks run thru the mechanical fuel pump first, then thru the EFII electrical fuel pump module. More plumbing but much safer. I'm sure Robert Paisley will have an opinion as well.

Hope this helps

Justin

Quote:
On Oct 23, 2014, at 07:54, carrollcw <carrollswa(at)gmail.com> wrote:

For now, I just want to get it in the air for day/vfr/acro only. However, I will later make it fully night IFR.

I am running the dual EFII ignition and fuel injection. Although I will have a mechanical pump, at least one electric pump must be running to sepply sufficient pressure.

EI does not have its own power backup. After speaking with Robert at EFII, I am planning on wiring the 2 ECU's, 2 Ignitions, and 2 Fuel pumps to the always hot battery bus with switches for each of them, although I was planning on wiring the fuel pumps with a single dual pole switch.

Basic architecture staying the same. Breakers for e-bus, fuses for everything else.

Thanks for the help!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=432174#432174

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: