Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trailering a fire fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

we need to deliver a fire fly by open trailer next week the wing attach points and bridle where never installed by the builder however it was a quick build , he never intended to fold or hall it . now he is dead and the estate needs it sold, My question is how to fold and haul it safely? any pics would really be helpful
Malcolm & Jeanne Brubaker
Michigan Sport Pilot Repair
http://michigansportpilotrepair.com
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
for Ultralight & Light Sport
(989)513-3022

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

How far do you have to haul it?  I took mine 20 miles to the airport. I followed the instructions in the builder’s manual for folding and I made a tail boom stand out of an automotive jack stand.  It made it, but I would not want to go much farther than that as there was enough movement of the wings against the bracket that it wore all the powder  coat off of the bracket.  I could not tell how much material was worn off of the aluminum spar, but it had to be at least some.  For a longer move I would want the wing tips supported to the trailer, not the tail boom.

$50 worth of 2X4’s, screws and carpet scraps could save a lot of damage.

In short, I think the wing fold brackets are find for sitting or moving in and out of storage, but are not good for long travels, especially on an open trailer.

Search the archives, you will find much discussion and several pictures of how this has been accomplished by others.

I have a few photos of the firefly folded, but will have to look to see if there are any of it loaded on the trailer.

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Malcolm Brubaker
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2014 8:34 PM
To: Kolb-list matronics.com
Subject: trailering a fire fly

we need to deliver a fire fly by open trailer next week the wing attach points and bridle where never installed by the builder however it was a quick build , he never intended to fold or hall it . now he is dead and the estate needs it sold, My question is how to fold and haul it safely? any pics would really be helpful

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rowedenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

When in doubt, remove the wings and secure them separate from the fuselage, it's only one more bolt per side and it makes the whole plane much less vulnerable to damage and 10 times easier to handle.

Dennis "Skid" RoweMk3, Rotax 670,
Leechburg, PA
On Nov 3, 2014, at 9:33 PM, Malcolm Brubaker <brubakermal(at)yahoo.com (brubakermal(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote]

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ot;">www.aeroelectric.com
books.com"">www.buildersbooks.com
quot;">www.homebuilthelp.com
quot;">www.mypilotstore.com
">www.mrrace.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
//forums.matronics.com

[b]

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

how wide is the boom tub?   how long should the tube that fits into the wing   be?    how far out from the center of the boom tube the wing support tube is  should depend on how much padding I have between the boom tube and the wing, this problem totty took me by surprise. I think I have a good handle on it,  no pun intended     

Michigan Sport Pilot Repair http://michigansportpilotrepair.comLSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022    
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Monday, November 3, 2014 11:26 PM
Subject: RE: trailering a fire fly

<!--#yiv1231875650 _filtered #yiv1231875650 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1231875650 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1231875650 {font-family:Consolas;panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1231875650 {font-family:helveticaneue;panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;} _filtered #yiv1231875650 {panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}#yiv1231875650 #yiv1231875650 p.yiv1231875650MsoNormal, #yiv1231875650 li.yiv1231875650MsoNormal, #yiv1231875650 div.yiv1231875650MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman", "serif";}#yiv1231875650 a:link, #yiv1231875650 span.yiv1231875650MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1231875650 a:visited, #yiv1231875650 span.yiv1231875650MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1231875650 pre {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";}#yiv1231875650 span.yiv1231875650HTMLPreformattedChar {font-family:Consolas;}#yiv1231875650 span.yiv1231875650EmailStyle20 {font-family:"Calibri", "sans-serif";color:#1F497D;}#yiv1231875650 .yiv1231875650MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv1231875650 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv1231875650 div.yiv1231875650WordSection1 {}-->
How far do you have to haul it?  I took mine 20 miles to the airport. I followed the instructions in the builder’s manual for folding and I made a tail boom stand out of an automotive jack stand.  It made it, but I would not want to go much farther than that as there was enough movement of the wings against the bracket that it wore all the powder  coat off of the bracket.  I could not tell how much material was worn off of the aluminum spar, but it had to be at least some.  For a longer move I would want the wing tips supported to the trailer, not the tail boom

rlaird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

One method of supporting the boom tube on a Kolb MkIII (and other aircraft) is by using a PVC "saddle". This saddle is originally made for irrigation piping, but works perfectly with a little modification. The saddle itself requires no tweaking, but there is a pipe that connects to the saddle-tee, and the base of that needs a large castered wheel.
Another good solution for supporting the boom tube while trailering is to find a "base" for the pipe that comes out of the saddle-tee, and affix the "base" to the trailer... then, after the Kolb is in place on the trailer, put the saddle-tee in place on the boom-tube, then screw a connecting pipe on to it and the base.
One source:
Irrigation Station LLP
11929 Windfern
Houston, TX 77064
281-890-6574
sales(at)irrigationstation.com (sales(at)irrigationstation.com)

Part: 6 x 2 PVC IPS FIPT Saddle, product code 4460-20 (at) $41.00
(The above part description, part #, and price is as of Aug 2008)

The part information above is only for the saddle-tee. Also needed is a pipe, connected to the saddle-tee, and of course the wheel. (When I find a photo of the saddle in place on the boom tube, I'll post it here.) I've used this method (with the caster wheel for over 7 years with my Mk III.  I also have the base that attached to my trailer floor, for securing it while transporting it.
Below are mfg pix of saddle-tees.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Malcolm Brubaker <brubakermal(at)yahoo.com (brubakermal(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote]
how wide is the boom tub?   how long should the tube that fits into the wing   be?    how far out from the center of the boom tube the wing support tube is  should depend on how much padding I have between the boom tube and the wing, this problem totty took me by surprise. I think I have a good handle on it,  no pun intended     
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022

From: Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)>
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Kolb-List: trailering a fire fly

How far do you have to haul it?  I took mine 20 miles to the airport. I followed the instructions in the builder’s manual for folding and I made a tail boom stand out of an automotive jack stand.  It made it, but I would not want to go much farther than that as there was enough movement of the wings against the bracket that it wore all the powder  coat off of the bracket.  I could not tell how much material was worn off of the aluminum spar, but it had to be at least some.  For a longer move I would want the wing tips supported to the trailer, not the tail boom.

In short, I think the wing fold brackets are find for sitting or moving in and out of storage, but are not good for long travels, especially on an open trailer.

Search the archives, you will find much discussion and several pictures of how this has been accomplished by others.

I have a few photos of the firefly folded, but will have to look to see if there are any of it loaded on the trailer.

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Malcolm Brubaker

we need to deliver a fire fly by open trailer next week     the wing attach points and bridle where never installed by the builder however it was a quick build  , he never intended to fold or hall it . now he is dead and the estate needs it sold, My question is how to fold and haul it safely?  any pics would really be helpful    

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

[b]

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Question?  Is the MKIII tail boom 6” in diameter? 

The firefly is 5”, so this may be too large unless you glue some padding of some kind inside of the saddle. Carpeting comes to mind.

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert Laird
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:58 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: trailering a fire fly

One method of supporting the boom tube on a Kolb MkIII (and other aircraft) is by using a PVC "saddle". This saddle is originally made for irrigation piping, but works perfectly with a little modification. The saddle itself requires no tweaking, but there is a pipe that connects to the saddle-tee, and the base of that needs a large castered wheel.
Another good solution for supporting the boom tube while trailering is to find a "base" for the pipe that comes out of the saddle-tee, and affix the "base" to the trailer... then, after the Kolb is in place on the trailer, put the saddle-tee in place on the boom-tube, then screw a connecting pipe on to it and the base.
One source:
Irrigation Station LLP
11929 Windfern
Houston, TX 77064
281-890-6574

The part information above is only for the saddle-tee. Also needed is a pipe, connected to the saddle-tee, and of course the wheel. (When I find a photo of the saddle in place on the boom tube, I'll post it here.) I've used this method (with the caster wheel for over 7 years with my Mk III. I also have the base that attached to my trailer floor, for securing it while transporting it.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Malcolm Brubaker <brubakermal(at)yahoo.com (brubakermal(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
how wide is the boom tub? how long should the tube that fits into the wing be? how far out from the center of the boom tube the wing support tube is should depend on how much padding I have between the boom tube and the wing, this problem totty took me by surprise. I think I have a good handle on it, no pun intended

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022

How far do you have to haul it? I took mine 20 miles to the airport. I followed the instructions in the builder’s manual for folding and I made a tail boom stand out of an automotive jack stand. It made it, but I would not want to go much farther than that as there was enough movement of the wings against the bracket that it wore all the powder coat off of the bracket. I could not tell how much material was worn off of the aluminum spar, but it had to be at least some. For a longer move I would want the wing tips supported to the trailer, not the tail boom.

Stuart

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Malcolm Brubaker

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
(989)513-3022

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.comwww.buildersbooks.comwww.homebuilthelp.comwww.mypilotstore.comwww.mrrace.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contributionhttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
[quote][b]

rlaird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

Relying on memory (a very dangerous thing!), yes, it's 6" in diameter.

The PVC saddle has a thin (but not too thin) piece of rubber covering the entire inside surface, so that when it contacts the boom tube, it creates enough friction to stop the saddle from moving around on it (and protects the aluminum).  Carpet might work, but you'd then have to worry about it moving around on you.  I don't know if anyone makes a 5" saddle, but that's would be a better solution.  Second-best would be to use something rubber-like with a lot of friction that would give a tight and very even "seal" around the tube.
Until you mentioned the issue of its use with a 5" boom, it never occurred to me how lucky it is that this all works together so well!
  -- R

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Stuart Harner <stuart(at)harnerfarm.net (stuart(at)harnerfarm.net)> wrote:
[quote]
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Question?  Is the MKIII tail boom 6” in diameter? 

The firefly is 5”, so this may be too large unless you glue some padding of some kind inside of the saddle. Carpeting comes to mind.

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Robert Laird
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: trailering a fire fly

One method of supporting the boom tube on a Kolb MkIII (and other aircraft) is by using a PVC "saddle". This saddle is originally made for irrigation piping, but works perfectly with a little modification. The saddle itself requires no tweaking, but there is a pipe that connects to the saddle-tee, and the base of that needs a large castered wheel.
One source:
Irrigation Station LLP
11929 Windfern
Houston, TX 77064
[url=tel:281-890-6574]281-890-6574[/url]

The part information above is only for the saddle-tee. Also needed is a pipe, connected to the saddle-tee, and of course the wheel. (When I find a photo of the saddle in place on the boom tube, I'll post it here.) I've used this method (with the caster wheel for over 7 years with my Mk III.  I also have the base that attached to my trailer floor, for securing it while transporting it.

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
[url=tel:%28989%29513-3022](989)513-3022[/url]

Stuart

we need to deliver a fire fly by open trailer next week     the wing attach points and bridle where never installed by the builder however it was a quick build  , he never intended to fold or hall it . now he is dead and the estate needs it sold, My question is how to fold and haul it safely?  any pics would really be helpful    

LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
[url=tel:%28989%29513-3022](989)513-3022[/url]

Quote:
   www.aeroelectric.comwww.buildersbooks.comwww.homebuilthelp.comwww.mypilotstore.comwww.mrrace.comhttp://www.matronics.com/contributionhttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com  
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com

Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.homebuilthelp.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
Quote:
www.mypilotstore.com
[b]

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
George Alexander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com wrote:
we need to deliver a fire fly by open trailer next week . . . .S N I P . . . My question is how to fold and haul it safely? any pics would really be helpful

There are a wide variety of configurations at "Trailering a Kolb":

http://oh2fly.net/Main_trailer_kolb.htm

http://www.oh2fly.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dennis Kirby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

Robert Laird wrote: << One method of supporting the boom tube on a Kolb
MkIII (and other aircraft) is by using a PVC "saddle". This saddle is
originally made for irrigation piping, but works perfectly with a little
modification, and the base of *that* needs a large castered wheel. >>

Malcom / Kolb Friends -

Here's a picture of how I built my boom tube support for my Mark-3.

The center saddle is made from a piece of 12-inch diameter PVC, cut in half
lengthwise. I glued foam to the inside surface for padding. The two side
saddles are for supporting the wings. This is much more supportive, and
safer for transporting over long distances compared to the stock method of
wing support, which uses the 1/2 inch tube that passes thru the fuselage
tube.

For added shock absorption, once the aircraft is on the trailer, I place an
old tire under the dolly to raise it high enough to just get the casters off
the deck, then tie down the whole aircraft.

I have trailered my Mark-3 hundreds of miles using this, with no damage
whatsoever.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912, Powerfin
New Mexico

DOLLY3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.13 KB
 Viewed:  13677 Time(s)

DOLLY3.JPG

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  5.49 KB
 Downloaded:  440 Time(s)

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

Hi Dennis, and other Klobers
Please explain how you get the
saddle under the boom tube.
My mk3 tail is too heavy for me
to lift. Do you use a jack under the
Tail ? A hoist? Or are you just really
strong. Your method looks good.
Frank

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 7, 2014, at 8:55 AM, "KIRBY, DENNIS T GS-13 USAF AFMC AFNWC/ENS" <dennis.kirby.3(at)us.af.mil> wrote:

Quote:
Robert Laird wrote: << One method of supporting the boom tube on a Kolb
MkIII (and other aircraft) is by using a PVC "saddle". This saddle is
originally made for irrigation piping, but works perfectly with a little
modification, and the base of *that* needs a large castered wheel. >>

Malcom / Kolb Friends -

Here's a picture of how I built my boom tube support for my Mark-3.

The center saddle is made from a piece of 12-inch diameter PVC, cut in half
lengthwise. I glued foam to the inside surface for padding. The two side
saddles are for supporting the wings. This is much more supportive, and
safer for transporting over long distances compared to the stock method of
wing support, which uses the 1/2 inch tube that passes thru the fuselage
tube.

For added shock absorption, once the aircraft is on the trailer, I place an
old tire under the dolly to raise it high enough to just get the casters off
the deck, then tie down the whole aircraft.

I have trailered my Mark-3 hundreds of miles using this, with no damage
whatsoever.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912, Powerfin
New Mexico
<DOLLY3.JPG>

Dennis Kirby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

frank.goodnight wrote: << Hi Dennis, Please explain how you get the saddle under the boom tube.
My mk3 tail is too heavy for me to lift. Do you use a jack under the Tail ? A hoist? Or are you just really strong. Your method looks good. Frank >>

Frank / Kolb Friends -

I bring the dolly right up alongside the fuselage tube near the tail, wrap one arm around the boom and lift, then slide the dolly under the tube. The saddle on the dolly is only a few inches higher than the boom tube, so I don't have to lift it very high.

Thanks for the compliment about being "strong," but ... there is only 65 pounds of weight sitting on the tailwheel. Where I lift the tail boom - just at the leading edge of the vertical fin - might be about 5 pounds more (due to shorter lever arm, compared to location of the tail wheel).

When trailering, I roll the whole assembly up ramps onto my flatbed trailer. Then, I use a jack to lift the rear of the Kolb (with the dolly still attached) up high enough to slip an old car tire underneath the dolly, for extra shock absorption.

George Alexander has been gracious enough to post other pictures of my tail boom support dolly on his website.

Dennis Kirby
Sandia Park, New Mexico

phcpilot

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

Would anyone have handy, the measurements for the foam covered plastic pipe tube assembly people use to tie the stabs and fin together on a MKIII. I am not near the plane right now.
Many thanks
Peter

west1m

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: trailering a fire fly Reply with quote

I measured the ones for my Firefly. tubes are 1" PVC 40 inches long with the knot holes at 38". (I forgot to measure the distance between)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: