Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N557XW Flies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelhaynes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: N557XW Flies Reply with quote

I have the standard Positech cooler and Van's standard firewall forward kit setup.  This morning I re-examined my baffles and found a number of little gaps where additional high temp RTV sealant would likely be useful so I plugged them up. I will also cover over my cabin heat take-off with duct tape for the second flight to see what that will do. Calibrating the oil temp probe with boiling water is a great idea as suggested by another lister.  I do have a little room to raise the position of my oil cooler if that is necessary later on.  Also, I've learned that opening the lower cowl exit some more might be useful.  Second flight will be Friday morning after the RTV cures.  Thanks to everyone for all the online and offline congrats and advice.

Joel Haynes
7A 0.5 hours

>  Congratulations, Joel - isn't it a great feeling?!  Regarding the cooling - I have
Quote:
  an 0-360 in my recently completed RV6 - operating in the warmth of Western
  Australia. I'm not having any oil cooling problems at the moment - rather the
  opposite!  I installed a larger oil cooler than standard because I expected to
  be operating in high temps. Now that winter is here I've had to tape over about
  a third of the cooler to keep temps in the green.  What size oil cooler have
  you installed?

- The Matronics RV7-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV7-List
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: N557XW Flies Reply with quote

I concur on the calibration of the oil probe. i did this and discoverd that Dynon had calibrated their engine monitors to a different range. It may be that the spec sheet for the probe was different to the actual sensors who knows?

All the Dynon's now have a software fix for this. Maybe that other EFI manufacturers  made the same assumption.

My temp probe read 20deg F too high....Glad I found this.

Congrats...I'm about 2/3rds thru painting and I'll be into fianl assembly at the hangar

Frak

RV7a...My Zodiac sold last week...Just in time...Smile

From: owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv7-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of joelrhaynes(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:14 AM
To: rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: N557XW Flies

I have the standard Positech cooler and Van's standard firewall forward kit setup.  This morning I re-examined my baffles and found a number of little gaps where additional high temp RTV sealant would likely be useful so I plugged them up. I will also cover over my cabin heat take-off with duct tape for the second flight to see what that will do. Calibrating the oil temp probe with boiling water is a great idea as suggested by another lister.  I do have a little room to raise the position of my oil cooler if that is necessary later on.  Also, I've learned that opening the lower cowl exit some more might be useful.  Second flight will be Friday morning after the RTV cures.  Thanks to everyone for all the online and offline congrats and advice.

Joel Haynes
7A 0.5 hours

>  Congratulations, Joel - isn't it a great feeling?!  Regarding the cooling - I have
Quote:
  an 0-360 in my recently completed RV6 - operating in the warmth of Western
  Australia. I'm not having any oil cooling problems at the moment - rather the
  opposite!  I installed a larger oil cooler than standard because I expected to
  be operating in high temps. Now that winter is here I've had to tape over about
  a third of the cooler to keep temps in the green.  What size oil cooler have
  you installed?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tadsargent(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: N557XW Flies Reply with quote

Congrats on the flight.  I would pay attention to the temps but not make large changes till 25-30 hours or your confident the break-in has occurred.  Normal CHT s may not happen till 50 or more hours even though the oil usage may subside.  If you oil temps are high calibrate the probes is warm oil not water.  Cruise flight oil temps for me are 190 and the cooler is on the back of the #4
Tad Sargent
N130TS
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV7-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: