Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good News, Bad News - not really bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Good News, Bad News - not really bad Reply with quote

Hi folks, back home after the trip to Florida. It was sort of a good news/bad news trip.

Took off Thursday morning about 1015 after ground fog had lifted. Cool morning and engine hit 6200 rpm on take off roll. Landed shortly after 1pm at Shady Bend on Thursday, after making a low 200 MPH pass down the strip. Was welcomed by Tracy's delightful wife Laura as I taxied up to the house. Spend Thursday evening in great company including Jessica, Tracy's grandchild who is staying with them. That was the good news.

The bad news {:>) was that Jessica was now occupying the "guest" suite, the good news was Laura had reserved the living room couch for me. The best new was - nobody snored. (different story)

During Thursday evening it was clear from looking at the forming weather patterns and despite the favorable forecast of a day earlier, a two pronged front was rapidly advancing on the Southeast. It was clearly looking like any flights from north of Florida on Friday would only happened in the very early morning. Later that evening a small secondary pre front line formed out over the gulf and moved over northern Florida precluding even an early Friday flight.

Poor Laura is the one faced with making the decision whether to Postpone the Flyin or not (after all that work). Well, it finally became clear that even if the Flyin was held with mainly Florida attendees, that Saturday was going to be cold, windy and miserable at Lakeland. So Laura made the courageous decision cancel the RV flying. That's the bad news.

The good news is it was not cancelled but only postpone until next week end, so those of you still desiring and able to make it, I encourage you to do so.

Then Laura had to notify a list of people that would have made the pentagon emergency recall program boggle. But, she pressed on until the job was done. Great lady! I called Cappy early in the morning so he could post the news on the RVSoutheast list.

The good news is I got to spend three days at Shady Bend with Tracy and Laura. Managed to help Tracy with a few things on the airplanes, discussed my AOA project and contributed a radiator cap to his RV-4. (Yes, I do fly with a spare).

The bad news was I got a phone call from the wife (which was unusual) on Saturday and Laura had clearly detected a stress level in my wife's voice which she let me know when she called me from the work shop. The good news was that the wife was stressed, but there was no tragedy.

The bad news was - my wife reported that my hangar had blown away Friday night. Laura reminded me that I ask the wife three times during the conversation to confirm the news {:>).

That's right the hangar is gone! The good news is that my aircraft was not there but in Tracy's new hangar. Well, nothing I could do about it, so decided to continue my very enjoyable visit and we all went out to dinner Saturday night.

I had attempted to show Tracy my new fuel monitoring system in operation. The bad news was that upon touch down at Shady Bend it stopped working. The good news is I found If I wiggled the cigarette lighter, power would be restored and it would work - so got to show it to Tracy. The bad news was that when I flew back and any time I wanted to check my fuel burn/ Air Fuel ratio, etc, I had to reach across the cockpit and wiggle the cigarette lighter. The good news was that it would then work.

I launched out of Shady bend at 0945 with 6500 rpm showing on the tach! Stopped to refuel at Waycross, GA at 1030 and took off again (naturally in to a 25-30 MPH headwind). I normally cruise burning 7 GPH and today that was giving me a ground speed of 138 MPH. I finally said to hell with fuel economy and push the engine up to 10 GPH burn rate. Ground speed moved up from 138 to 168 MPH - that was more like it!.
Made it back to North Carolina and home airport at 1230. Made one pass and the bad news was that the bad news had been accurate. The hanger had been lifted up and blown backwards off the concrete slab and crumpled up. The good news was neither hangar to the side was even touched.

It was amazing, the storage cabinet was upright, empty cardboard boxes were right where I had left them, empty buckets had not been moved, even paper on my work bench were undisturbed. But, the hangar including my recently installed electrical wiring were all gone in the rubble and the end of the hangar. As Laura had put it, it appeared that I had been hit by a micro-burst, surgical strike (tornadoes had been reported in adjacent county).

So the bad news is NO Hangar for my airplane! The good news is a neighbor has room for my aircraft in his hangar.

I finally concluded that the gremlins that normally plague my flights missed my take off and couldn't find me so took it out on the hangar.

So now have to start deciding what to replace it with. It took me six weeks of day long labor to put up the first Quonset hut standing on scaffolding 15' above the concrete pad back six years ago leaving me with tendenitis in both elbows that took six months to go away. So I am 99 percent certain I am going to have the new hangar built rather than build it myself - life is too short.

So have not added up the good news/bad news column, but my aircraft and I can still flying- so that's the best news.

Well, that about wraps it up. Otherwise just your ordinary Ed Anderson trip {:>). I will post some photos of the hangar tomorrow - right now, going down to fix myself a cold tall one. Will catch up on any e mails addressed to me tomorrow also.

Best Regards

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com

- The Matronics RVSouthEast-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List

eanderson@carolina.rr.com
WVSWIFT(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Good News, Bad News - not really bad Reply with quote

Ed:
I don't know what you are planning for a hanger, but we have about 6 or 7
telephone poles you can have if you want them here at York.
Eddie Shields

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Good News, Bad News - not really bad Reply with quote

Thanks, Eddie. Appreciate it. Still in the figuring stage at this point.
Pole barn style or the Q hut style (but one anchored firmly this time {:>))?
Current price of lumber makes all-steel look attractive, but so many
variable - will probably need a week to sort it all out.

Ed
---

ttandt(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Good News, Bad News - not really bad Reply with quote

Ed,
I've built two Quonsets similar to the one you lost. If the foundation is
useable I feel sure you, me, and perhaps some flying buddies could put it
together in a weekend or two. Hangar Raising! I used an RV(motor home not
aircraft) to work off of and we put up full arches. This went real quick
about 3 days for the arches(32' deep) with 5 of us. We tightened up nuts
with some long fabricated extensions.
Just another option,
Terry

Quote:
[Original Message]
To: <rvsoutheast-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: 1/15/2006 8:12:05 PM
Subject: Re: Good News, Bad News - not really bad

<eanderson(at)carolina.rr.com>

Quote:

Thanks, Eddie. Appreciate it. Still in the figuring stage at this
point.

Quote:
Pole barn style or the Q hut style (but one anchored firmly this time
{:>))?

[quote] Current price of lumber makes all-steel look attractive, but so many
variable - will probably need a week to sort it all out.

Ed
---

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Good News, Bad News - not really bad Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

Yes, the foundation is usable - still has the keyway that the edges will sit
it - never got the cement pour in them - which of course, is undoubtedly the
reason the metal went flying. Won't make that mistake again.

I currently looking at what options are the most reasonable from a cost
standpoint. I like the Q hut approach and will probably go that way based
on some initial cost scratching.

It took me six weeks to put one up and that was full days - just don't want
to go that route again. Yes, with a crew where you can put up full arches
bolted together on the ground and then stand them up - rather than hauling
up a sheet at a time on 15' scaffolding would make things go much faster.

A number of folks have offer assistant so it might be possible to get a team
of 3-4 together for a couple of weekends. In any case, I would be
interested in learning about the extension you fabricated to tighten those
1000 and 1 bolts.

Appreciate the offer and assuming I go the Q hut route, I'll be back in
contact.

Ed

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: