Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Display is out on C90, Please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnsx(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

OK, Hopefully someone can help. Recently, I just purchased two CDX-C90's off
ebay, one is in mint, hardly used condition, and the other had a few minor
problems, including a flickering display, and missing inverter box (cut off
from back).

I chose to install the nicer unit, and use that one to diagnose the
flickering faceplate issue, and needless to say, the bad faceplate blew out
something on the main board on the nicer unit.

I tried to swap the EL inverter box to the other unit and that one worked
fine, so that eliminates the inverter, also tried the good face plate on
both units.

When the display finally went out, I herd this squealing sound (alost like a
bad CRT sound) as the face was getting darker, and flickering.

Hopefully someone knows where on the main board to look for this issue. I
have the service manual, and everything seems to point to the inverter box,
but I ruled that out.

For now, I am running the nice clean (low milage) unit with the main board
from the other one, and the VC seems to not change settings, I hear the beep
and silence between the setting changes, but thta is all. So I now have two
bad boards.

I would like to get the other board with the display issue back up and
running if I can, since the VC and sound quality were so nice, and I know it
was from a practically new c90.

Thanks,

Shane

- The Matronics XDP4000X-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?XDP4000X-List
bobbybraun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

When using the C90 and 210EQ in conjunction, the VC filter will automatically be disabled since your audio output is ultimately coming form the 210eq's DAC's. But either way, it sounds like one or both units may need repair at this point. Best of luck!

Bobby

[quote]-------------- Original message --------------

[quote] --> XDP4000X-List message posted by: "Shane Sexton"

OK, Hopefully someone can help. Recently, I just purchased two CDX-C90's off
ebay, one is in mint, hardly used condition, and the other had a few minor
problems, including a flickering display, and missing inverter box (cut off
from back).

I chose to install the nicer unit, and use that one to diagnose the
flickering faceplate issue, and needless to say, the bad faceplate blew out
something on the main board on the nicer unit.

I tried to swap the EL inverter box to the other unit and that one worked
fine, so that eliminates the inverter, also tried the good face plate on
both units.
< BR>&gt ======

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

shnsx(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

Thanks0 for the quick response.

Due to0 my FU, I had no choice but to snag another C90 off EBay, only this one includes0 everything even the box, from what I understand it is also hardly used and in0 mint condition.

I0 would like to get at least one of these other units in perfect working order, so0 if anyone would like to swap a main board for a perfectly good audioboard, and0 CD drive unit, let me know.

I love0 the C90, had way too many Eclipse units in my Element over the past three years,0 and not by my choice, they are all crap. It just amazes me how rich, and SMOOTH0 the sound is from the C90 is, It just amazes me that you can't get anything like0 this anymore, people rave about Eclipse, and I have to say that the 8455 that I0 had for seven weeeks before it died was the best one SQ wise, but again, not0 quite like the C90. Needless to say, I need to have a spare so I can sleep at0 night, It won't be long before the C90 will be an endangered species, and we0 won't be able to get another one. LOL
[quote] --

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

call sony and see if they can refurb it. I got mine done a coupld of weeks agot for a little over $100 bucks. well worth it.

Shane Sexton <shnsx(at)comcast.net> wrote:
[quote] Thanks for the quick response.

Due to my FU, I had no choice but to snag another C90 off EBay, only this one includes everything even the box, from what I understand it is also hardly used and in mint condition.

I would like to get at least one of these other units in perfect working order, so if anyone would like to swap a main board for a perfectly good audioboard, and CD drive unit, let me know.

I love the C90, had way too many Eclipse units in my Element over the past three years, and not by my choice, they are all crap. It just amazes me how rich, and SMOOTH the sound is from the C90 is, It just amazes me that you can't get anything like this anymore, people rave about Eclipse, and I have to say that the 8455 that I had for seven weeeks before it died was the best one SQ wise, but again, not quite like the C90. Needless to say, I need to have a spare so I can sleep at night, It won't be long before the C90 will be an endangered species, and we won't be able to get another one. LOL
[quote] --

shnsx(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

Question, When you set up the repair with Sony did they say that if they0 can't fix the unit, they would replace it with a comparible model (which we both0 know there is none)?
[quote] --

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

I should have added this to the last email but one of the latest car audio mags, I think auto sound and security had an element with a CDX-c90 install. maybe the CDX-C90 is gaining a larger cult following? I might try and get my cobra in that when I finish my cdx-c90 install.

Shane Sexton <shnsx(at)comcast.net> wrote: [quote] Thanks for the quick response.

Due to my FU, I had no choice but to snag another C90 off EBay, only this one includes everything even the box, from what I understand it is also hardly used and in mint condition.

I would like to get at least one of these other units in perfect working order, so if anyone would like to swap a main board for a perfectly good audioboard, and CD drive unit, let me know.

I love the C90, had way too many Eclipse units in my Element over the past three years, and not by my choice, they are all crap. It just amazes me how rich, and SMOOTH the sound is from the C90 is, It just amazes me that you can't get anything like this anymore, people rave about Eclipse, and I have to say that the 8455 that I had for seven weeeks before it died was the best one SQ wise, but again, not quite like the C90. Needless to say, I need to have a spare so I can sleep at night, It won't be long before the C90 will be an endangered species, and we won't be able to get another one. LOL
[quote] --

shnsx(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

I0 recently stumbled into this board, and yes it seems like the C90 is a cult here0 lol. So what to you have a Shelby Cobra, or Mustang Cobra?
Here0 is the link to my setup on EOC, the audio guys are aresome0 there.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26055
[quote] --

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

yeah they said they could replace it so I told them I wanted the new flip up screen I think it was the A1. I told them I have the xdp-4000x and it would be worthless with out the cdx-c90. they wanted me to get some crap xplode deck not sure what model. I told them no and they gave the the info to send it in the get repaired

Shane Sexton <shnsx(at)comcast.net> wrote: [quote] Question, When you set up the repair with Sony did they say that if they can't fix the unit, they would replace it with a comparible model (which we both know there is none)?
[quote] --

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

1997 Cobra

Shane Sexton <shnsx(at)comcast.net> wrote: [quote] I recently stumbled into this board, and yes it seems like the C90 is a cult here lol. So what to you have a Shelby Cobra, or Mustang Cobra?
Here is the link to my setup on EOC, the audio guys are aresome there.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t6055
[quote] --

shnsx(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

Cool,0 As soon as I get the new one from Ebay I will call sony. Thanks alot for this0 info.
[quote] --

tbone7467(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

NP

Shane Sexton <shnsx(at)comcast.net> wrote: [quote] Cool, As soon as I get the new one from Ebay I will call sony. Thanks alot for this info.
[quote] --

bobbybraun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

Just a word to the wise, be very wary of the repair quality when going through Sony these days. I had an absolutely horrible experience when dealing with Sony for a repair on a spare C90 of mine...

Clicky... http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=4946&sid=e4be10d9a9adad3efec59d96d1f4f9e5

To this day the unit will not read CD's, and it was sent to them in usable working condition only to be refurbished, but was returned to me completely broken and missing screws, and once during the four return trips to Sony they even sent it back to me with a loose part rolling around inside of it. In any case, make sure to document the condition of your unit before sending it there way, and take photos. They ended up paying me to have another company to try to fix my C90, and it still hasn't come back to me in working condition... Plus they have no equivalent substitute for the C90 when they run out of repair options either. They offered me an Xplod unit from ~94 that retailed for under $400 in replacement for my broken C90, what a slap in the face... Boo Sony...

Bobby

[quote]-------------- Original message --------------
NP

Shane Sexton <shnsx(at)comcast.net> wrote: [quote] Cool, As soon as I get the new one from Ebay I will call sony. Thanks alot for this info.
[quote] --

shnsx(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Display is out on C90, Please help Reply with quote

You0 post is the one that put up the red flag for me, this is why I asked about the0 replacement option. I will call sony and se what they say before hand. The C900 is very easy to swap parts, I I just get another broken unit with a good system0 board, I would be set. I had problems with Eclipse in the past, but it was0 all warrenty stuff and they made very good for me, upgraded me to a unit that0 was $300 more than the one I had.
[quote] --

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> XDP4000X-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: