Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artificial Horizon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Artificial Horizon Reply with quote

Bruce(at)glasair.org wrote:
I really don't understand this rush to go out and bet your life on untested,
uncertified instrumentation.

Bruce

The author of the origional thread has a very limited, narrow view of things. Just because something is "certified" does not make it better or safer. That kind of backwards thinking just hindres progress. There is obviously stuff out there that works, and stuff out there that does not. Its just a matter if having the skill and intelligence to chose good equipment. Having a sticker that says "certified" does not make something better, it just makes idiots feel better.

And yes, having a moving map IS safer than "certified" vacuum guages, as it increases situational awareness. There are many many dead people that have flown into terrain that would have lived had they had a moving map display. Failures of people are much more common than failures of moving map displays. For safety, I would take the best moving map display with terrain displayed over "certified" round dials and vacuum pumps any day.

I would take a good electronic Horizon over a "certified" vacuum pump horizon any day. Vacuum pumps are famous for failing, their antique design is very limited and they fail more much more often than pizo-electric gyros. Only a complete moron with the inability to adapt to anything new would say something is safer just because it is "certified".

Michael A. Bigelow

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
low pass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Artificial Horizon Reply with quote

Certified!! Yea, that's why I fly an experimental. 205 mph on 160-hp, 7-8 gph, sport acro, light IFR, cross country, 30 minute local evening fun flights... and it's something I built, I maintain and cost me less than $45,000. Find something FAA certified that fits that bill! Rolling Eyes You can't, because federal oversight of general aviation stifles creativity, inflates costs and slows progress.

Is that a certified plastic airplane you credit yourself with there, Bruce? Wink

Bryan Jones RV-8
Houston Texas
www.LoneStarSquadron.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

nyman(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Artificial Horizon Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I had forgotten about the AHRS. You would think I would
remember, since I sent mine in to have that problem fixed. The failure
manifests itself during power-up so that you know you have a problem before
you ever leave the ground.
Steve
N174AS
MEM

do not archive

Time: 08:42:39 AM PST US
Subject: RE: Re: Artificial Horizon

No, they don't. The software is the same, the hardware is not. Take for
example the AHRS, the certified units use the Crossbow 500 series or better,
the non-certified units use the Crossbow 400 series. The 400 series has just
been flagged by a Crossbow SB as VFR use only. They found a few software
bugs they have to iron out. The 400 series AHRS are not certified.

FMI: http://www.xbow.com/Support/Support_pdf_files/Service_Letter_NAV425.pdf

Bruce
www.glasair.org
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: