Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crank seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glcasey(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Crank seal Reply with quote

My crank seal spun in the housing (stuck to the shaft). As I recall
the technique of replacing a crank seal and making sure it adheres to
the crankcase is a precise and esoteric one. Any advice on this
one? The engine is a newly-rebuilt IO-540, but there are lots of
hours on the core. I assume the rebuilder will cover the cost, but
he's not here to do the repair.

Gary Casey

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
archie97(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Crank seal Reply with quote

If the case had not been align bored during the rebuilding,
it is possible the seal bore is eccentric, and may not seat well.
A two piece seal is easier to install, but most prefer the one piece.
I have seen seals repeatedly slide out, even with the use of pliobond.
In these cases, have made minor prick punches around the periphery
of the case where the seal grips, and the problem ends.
Also have found that installing on a warm day, (or hangar),
makes the installation a bit easier.
Archie F.
Archie's Racing Service

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

s_korney(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Crank seal Reply with quote

Sounds like the case seal bore is oversize .... Maybe the seal has spun
before in the life of that case... The rebuilder probably won't cover the
cost... Good Luck...

Best... Steve

----Original Message Follows----
Reply-To: lycomingengines-list(at)matronics.com
To: lycomingengines-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Crank seal
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:09:16 -0700

<glcasey(at)adelphia.net>

My crank seal spun in the housing (stuck to the shaft). As I recall the
technique of replacing a crank seal and making sure it adheres to the
crankcase is a precise and esoteric one. Any advice on this one? The
engine is a newly-rebuilt IO-540, but there are lots of hours on the core.
I assume the rebuilder will cover the cost, but he's not here to do the
repair.

Gary Casey

FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Crank seal Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/15/06 11:00:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
s_korney(at)hotmail.com writes:

Quote:
My crank seal spun in the housing (stuck to the shaft). As I recall the
technique of replacing a crank seal and making sure it adheres to the
crankcase is a precise and esoteric one. Any advice on this one? The
engine is a newly-rebuilt IO-540, but there are lots of hours on the
core.

Quote:

I assume the rebuilder will cover the cost, but he's not here to do the
repair.

Gary Casey
==============================

Gary:

It is a very easy repair. It is a little time consuming because proper
installation requires a lot of cleaning. AND I'd bet Dollar$ to Doughnut$ that is
where the rebuilder failed.

Order a new seal and you should be able to figure it out just by looking at
it. Just remember CLEAN the case extra well.

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

"Show them the first time, correct them the second time, kick them the third
time."
Yamashiada

Hopperdhh(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Crank seal Reply with quote

Gary,

I agree with Barry on getting things cleaned really well.

I just did this for the first 2 times (2 separate engines) in the past 2 weeks! In addition to cleaning the surface where the seal goes really well (use MEK and a cotton swab) here are a couple more tips.

Your case should have a small groove machined about 1/16 inch behind the front surface for an uncut seal to fit to. If you don't have the groove then the case is probably drilled and tapped for 2 retaining plates to bolt onto. This is the old design. When Divco overhauls the case, I think they machine the groove for the solid seal. Be sure this groove is cleaned out also. Also smooth out any burrs on the front edge of the case that could cut the ridge while you are putting the seal in.

As far as I know, the solid seal is the only one with the ridge to fit the groove. The split seals are for the old design. To install the solid seal, first remove the spring, unhook it, put it on the crank and hook it back up. Then boil the seal in water for about 5 minutes. Have the crank and bushings free of burrs and put a layer of electrical tape over the outside edge. Start the seal by putting a large Phillips screwdriver or punch through one of the bushings to keep it in place front and back. Also have additional protection in the form of a plastic bag over the flange.  I use a bag that parts are shipped in which mikes about 5 mils. Use another large (about 5/16 or 3/8 inch) round screwdriver or punch to get a good grip on the seal and stretch it like a big rubber band over the flange. It takes quite a bit of force to do this. After it is on the flange and before it returns to normal size inspect it for nicks or damage. In 15 minutes to 1/2 hour it will come back to normal size and you can put the spring back in it.

Clean the seal and cavity again with MEK but don't let MEK stay on the seal -- just wipe it with a cloth wetted with MEK. Put some Pliobond on both the case and the seal, and slide the seal in. You may need a block of wood and a hammer to get it clear in. (In my case I did it as I was assembling the case halves.) It sticks out just a little as you can see from where the groove is with respect to where the ridge on the seal is.

After it is installed, I would oil the seal where it slides on the crankshaft with Marvel Mystery Oil (just my preference) using a small wooden stick to lift the seal and be sure it gets inside.

In a message dated 8/15/2006 11:30:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Gary:

installation requires a lot of cleaning.  AND I'd bet Dollar$ to Doughnut$ that is

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

time."
Yamashiada

[quote][b]

Hopperdhh(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Crank seal Reply with quote

The following reply was sent by mistake. It was written about a week ago and is terribly out of date now!
do not archive
Dan

In a message dated 8/19/2006 11:44:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Hopperdhh(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:

Gary,

I agree with Barry on getting things cleaned really well.

I just did this for the first 2 times (2 separate engines) in the past 2 weeks! In addition to cleaning the surface where the seal goes really well (use MEK and a cotton swab) here are a couple more tips.

Your case should have a small groove machined about 1/16 inch behind the front surface for an uncut seal to fit to. If you don't have the groove then the case is probably drilled and tapped for 2 retaining plates to bolt onto. This is the old design. When Divco overhauls the case, I think they machine the groove for the solid seal. Be sure this groove is cleaned out also. Also smooth out any burrs on the front edge of the case that could cut the ridge while you are putting the seal in.

As far as I know, the solid seal is the only one with the ridge to fit the groove. The split seals are for the old design. To install the solid seal, first remove the spring, unhook it, put it on the crank and hook it back up. Then boil the seal in water for about 5 minutes.  Have the crank and bushings free of burrs and put a layer of electrical tape over the outside edge. Start the seal by putting a large Phillips screwdriver or punch through one of the bushings to keep it in place front and back. Also have additional protection in the form of a plastic bag over the flange. I use a bag that parts are shipped in which mikes about 5 mils. Use another large (about 5/16 or 3/8 inch) round screwdriver or punch to get a good grip on the seal and stretch it like a big rubber band over the flange. It takes quite a bit of force to do this.  After it is on the flange and before it returns to normal size inspect it for nicks or damage. In 15 minutes to 1/2 hour it will come back to normal size and you can put the spring back in it.

Clean the seal and cavity again with MEK but don't let MEK stay on the seal -- just wipe it with a cloth wetted with MEK. Put some Pliobond on both the case and the seal, and slide the seal in. You may need a block of wood and a hammer to get it clear in. (In my case I did it as I was assembling the case halves.) It sticks out just a little as you can see from where the groove is with respect to where the ridge on the seal is.

After it is installed, I would oil the seal where it slides on the crankshaft with Marvel Mystery Oil (just my preference) using a small wooden stick to lift the seal and be sure it gets inside.

In a message dated 8/15/2006 11:30:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Gary:

installation requires a lot of cleaning.  AND I'd bet Dollar$ to Doughnut$ that is

Barry
"Chop'd Liver"

time."
Yamashiada

Quote:

//www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
ronics.com/">http://wiki.matronics.com
://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: