Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IFR and x-c stability?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deuskid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

there was a thread that I read yesterday that I can't find today that was asking about 'stability' for x-c by an ex F-4 driver.. I know the RV folks say the 7 and the 9 are pretty good IFR platforms because of their wing area. I know it isn't as simple as sq-ft but it is one significant variable and so I researched each's ft^2:

Lightning: 91
RV-6: 110
RV-7: 121
RV-9: 124

is there some quantifiable way to come up with a 'stability' quotent?

I am ignorant [but trainable]. Ignorant because I'm not yet a pilot but I may have a long long-term commute in my future and if it comes to be I'm researching options.

thanks,

John

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/23/2006 9:13:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Wow, John, that's a big question. We appoint you to lead the effort to research that topic and report back to all of us. You will find lots of written information in various aeronautics and astronautics text books, lots of articles, and obviously lots of hangar talk sessions.  But as a start, yes, wing area is one indicator of stability, but it is not as simple as that. Other things to consider are airfoil, aspect ratio, dihedral, fuselage length, tail size, and on and on and on. Actually, wing area alone is probably a better indicator of stall speed, but that too is an over simplification. But hey, you are thinking (so many do not) and that is a good thing. Keep up the good work.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cliffw(at)model.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

N1BZRich(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
In a message dated 8/23/2006 9:13:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:

Wow, John, that's a big question. We appoint you to lead the effort to
research that topic and report back to all of us. You will find lots
of written information in various aeronautics and astronautics text
books, lots of articles, and obviously lots of hangar talk sessions.
But as a start, yes, wing area is one indicator of stability, but it
is not as simple as that. Other things to consider are airfoil, aspect
ratio, dihedral, fuselage length, tail size, and on and on and on.
Actually, wing area alone is probably a better indicator of stall
speed, but that too is an over simplification. But hey, you are
thinking (so many do not) and that is a good thing. Keep up the good work.
Blue Skies,
Buz

I'd been led to believe that wing loading was a good indication of
"stability". Here is an excerpt from answers.com:

Quote:
In aerodynamics, wing loading is the loaded weight of the aircraft
divided by the area of the wing. It is broadly reflective of the
aircraft's lift-to-mass ratio, which affects its rate of climb,
load-carrying ability, and turn performance.

Typical wing loadings range from 20 lb/ft² (100 kg/m²) for general
aviation aircraft, to 80 to 120 lb/ft² (390 to 585 kg/m²) for
high-speed designs like modern fighter aircraft...

Wing loading also affects gust response, the degree to which the
aircraft is affected by turbulence and variations in air density. A
highly loaded wing has more inertia and a small wing has less area on
which a gust can act, both of which serve to smooth the ride. For
high-speed, low-level flight (such as a fast low-level bombing run in
an attack aircraft), a small, thin, highly loaded wing is preferable:
aircraft with low wing loading are often subject to a rough, punishing
ride in this flight regimeL.. The F-15E ("Strike Eagle") has been
criticized for its ride quality, as have most delta wing aircraft
(such as the Dassault Mirage III), which tend to have large wings and
low wing loading.

--
Cliff Walinsky (Lightning-builder wanna be)
Portland, Oregon

max.givan(at)ngc.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

Since I sort of started this stability issue thread, and I do this stuff for my real job (design military aircraft), I guess I need to expand a bit on this subject. Sorry but this will necessarily be a bit long. Pete, please note that I am a BIG fan of the Lightning, however with the responses I have seen on this topic, I am trying to bring some closure to this. This issue is similiar to the experience Lancair (360) and Glasair II had with some of earlier models and much insight might be gained by reviewing their history and flight test results.

This can get very complex and mathematical, however to address my concerns here we can keep it very simple. Static stability refers to the airplanes natural tendency to return to its initially trimmed pitch, yaw and roll angle after it is disturbed by gusts, control movements, thermals etc. So long as control surfaces are not repositioned/retrimmed, a statically stable airplane returns to where you trimmed it after any small disturbance. This is nice in that it reduces pilot workload. The pilot can look at maps, tune radios, beat on kids, take a nap - (no maybe its not that stable) and the airplane sort of stays at airspeed, altitude and heading it was trimmed at. Like most things, however, at least for pitch stability, which is my concern here, too much of a good thing is not so good! Very high levels of pitch stability cause higher stick forces to maneuver aircraft and also cause higher trim drag for off nominal conditions. Trim drag is also strong function of Cmo = pitching moment at zero lift. When an airplanes CG is at its aerodynamic neutral point, it has no tendency to return to initial trimmed state after a disturbance. In fact if you look at trimmed horiz tail position vs angle of attack(think airspeed),
it is a constant deflection. This means that stick (and tail) position no longer relates to a specific angle of attack (or airspeed) but has become a pitch rate only command which is not good. So - for a 'good' pilot friendly airplane, we really do need a minimal, but not too much, static stability. There are also dynamic considerations but we will stick to static pitch stability for now. The way we classically measure the degree of stability is by static margin which is simply how far foward of the aerodynamic neutral point the CG is located. When we design military aircraft, we look at many other metrics, however for conventional aircraft like the Lightning, we can pretty well predict pitch axis flying qualities by looking at the static margin and the stick force characteristics which relate to the sticks mechanical design as well as the tail size and static margin. Lets stick to the static margin. We traditionally measure it in % of mean wing chord or %c_bar. Aircraft with good flying qualities will have CG located at least 3 to 4%c_bar foward of the aerodynamic neutral point. Note when the CG actually goes aft of the neutral point really really bad things happen! Dont go there!
Now in aircraft design phase, we would use sizing criteria such as tail area x tail distance aft of CG and we would do wind tunnel testing to determine exactly where the aerodynamic neutral point is located as function of airspeed. Yes, it will move foward and aft with airspeed changes. Fortunately for us, at the airspeeds our aircraft operate, the neutral point is approx at a constant location. So, when I build MY Lightning, I will want my CG to stay at least 4% foward of the neutral point. Simple huh? Wait a minute, we dont have any wind tunnel data, so where ist that darn neutral point located?
Well, I think we might have a good data point for that. My concerns began when I talked to Gregg Hobbs right after he flew first time fully loaded. Now Gregg has the (not production) 'heavy fuselage' and thus his CG is well aft of current production versions. Gregg was still pretty excited (scared?) about the flight characteristics he experienced that day when I talked with him. Enough so that he interupted his flight and sent plane back to Shelbyville via truck. Well, thats one way to do a cross country I guess.

My conclusion is that his CG was at or very close to the aircrafts aerodynamic nuetral point. I dont know the actual cg value he was at but if he does, we can use that to determine where we might want our CG range to fall. His airplane will have the same aerodynamic neutral point as current production versions. I believe his is different only in its weight and CG characteristics.

There are a lot of other issues to consider but from pilot reports I hear, I believe the Lightning has very nice yaw and roll stability characteristics. I know the pitch stability has been worked (lighter aft fuselage thus CG farther foward) but I would like to know a little more about current characteristics.
Of course I will fly it before I would start building one however I would also like to know about what static margin the basic aircraft has?

Several of your emails also discussed wing area and much more importantly wing loading. While wing loading is an important parameter, and lighter wing loadings will result in larger aircraft responses to vertical gusts, the Lightning is actually better than most of new crop of Light Sport aircraft and actually very similiar to many old timer GA aircraft. I ran a few numbers for selected aircraft at published max gross weight and at approximately
(empty weight + 175 Lb pilot + 1/2 hr fuel).

Wing Loading - (Lb/SqFt)
Aircraft   Wing Area Max GW Empty + pilot + min fuel
Lightning   91 SqFt 15.7   10.9
C-172   174   14.7   10.7
C-182   175.5   17.7     11.9
RV6   110   14.5    10.6
RV9   124   14.1    9.8
RV10 148   18.2   11.7
G36(Bonanza) 181   20.2    15.0
Pulsar XP 80   13.7   10.0
Tecnam Sierra 123.8 10.7   7.5
Zodiac 601XL 132   10.0   6.8

Since in terms of aircraft gust response, larger numbers for wing loading will be better, that is less 'bouncy' in turbulence we can see that in this regard, the Lightning is exemplary. While it is a very light weight aircraft, its relatively small wing area results in very good numbers for wing loading.
note that while its not going to make Bonanza drivers smile (at least until they stop at gas pumps), the C-172, RV and most of the LSA crowd will
be impressed. Based on wing loading only, this aircraft has potential to be as good or better than most GA aircraft.

In summary, based on numbers I have evaluated and what I know from others flight experiences, I believe the Lightning is one of if not the best of the Experimental and new LSA aircraft available with the possible concern about STATIC MARGIN, however iIF? that is still an issue, it is fixable via larger horiz tail mods and/or center of gravity changes (move engine foward slightly?). I still want one!

Max Givan

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:44 AM
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: IFR and x-c stability?

In a message dated 8/23/2006 9:13:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

Wow, John, that's a big question. We appoint you to lead the effort to research that topic and report back to all of us. You will find lots of written information in various aeronautics and astronautics text books, lots of articles, and obviously lots of hangar talk sessions. But as a start, yes, wing area is one indicator of stability, but it is not as simple as that. Other things to consider are airfoil, aspect ratio, dihedral, fuselage length, tail size, and on and on and on. Actually, wing area alone is probably a better indicator of stall speed, but that too is an over simplification. But hey, you are thinking (so many do not) and that is a good thing. Keep up the good work.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote]

ronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List

[b]

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

Like Buzz mentioned, I have grown accustomed to hand flying experimentals. They are usually out of balance for a number of reasons.

I also love autopilots for serious IFR work. In my Piper Arrow, I would hit the AP and fly with the heading bug as soon as the gear came up if it was an important flight. No question AP's cut fatigue and calm the mind. But I dont want an IFR Lightning. We really need some time on the airframe in VFR conditions. I would just note that when you encounter turbulance, stability seems to not help all that much.  You just gotta fly it. In smooth air, finger pressure will do.

While Max's thought processes exceed mine, I do believe this thread overlooks and important flaw in the ointment.

It is not a production aircraft.

We are finishing up our Lightning as the first one NOT built in Shelbyville. Since no manual is available( not that we would acually read it anyway) we are using some pictures, phonecalls and our previous building experience to rig the bird, align the tailfeathers, and install our own dash and doo-dads. I would expect it to fly differently from Shelbyville Specials. It may fly better, it may likely fly worse.

But in an aircraft that weighs around 700lbs MT with a 90+ sq foot wing, with massive flaps and amateur rigging, it wont take much to make it fly in a non-standard way. While it is not likely to fly rock-stable immediatly, it may not be wildly divergent either. Of course we will let everyone know how it is going, but it will be in our terms. For example, Just rigging the flaps to hang slightly low will likely make it more stable but slower. Reflexing the flaps will make it faster but less stable I would guess.

A couple years back, I happened to find the owner of a 1964 Cessna 310 that had belonged to a Cessna executive and had been specially rigged for him in Wichita. It was at least 10- 20 mph faster than all the rest he had ever flown. It was bone-straight and set perfectly. Even Production models each have some difference that can effect stability.

I would expect the addition of a lard-butt in one seat or the other to make a significant difference in flight charactoristics. Sandbags dont move. People do. Adjusting your underware to deal with in-flight chafing is enough to create unusual attitudes (on the part of the plane, not just the passengers)

Just some thoughts to take the edge off pure science.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 8/24/2006 3:20:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, max.givan(at)ngc.com writes:
Quote:
Since I sort of started this stability issue thread, and I do this stuff for my real job (design military aircraft), I guess I need to expand a bit on this subject. Sorry but this will necessarily be a bit long. Pete, please note that I am a BIG fan of the Lightning, however with the responses I have seen on this topic, I am trying to bring some closure to this. This issue is similiar to the experience Lancair (360) and Glasair II had with some of earlier models and much insight might be gained by reviewing their history and flight test results.

This can get very complex and mathematical, however to address my concerns here we can keep it very simple. Static stability refers to the airplanes natural tendency to return to its initially trimmed pitch, yaw and roll angle after it is disturbed by gusts, control movements, thermals etc. So long as control surfaces are not repositioned/retrimmed, a statically stable airplane returns to where you trimmed it after any small disturbance. This is nice in that it reduces pilot workload. The pilot can look at maps, tune radios, beat on kids, take a nap - (no maybe its not that stable) and the airplane sort of stays at airspeed, altitude and heading it was trimmed at. Like most things, however, at least for pitch stability, which is my concern here, too much of a good thing is not so good! Very high levels of pitch stability cause higher stick forces to maneuver aircraft and also cause higher trim drag for off nominal conditions. Trim drag is also strong function of Cmo = pitching moment at zero lift. When an airplanes CG is at its aerodynamic neutral point, it has no tendency to return to initial trimmed state after a disturbance. In fact if you look at trimmed horiz tail position vs angle of attack(think airspeed),
it is a constant deflection. This means that stick (and tail) position no longer relates to a specific angle of attack (or airspeed) but has become a pitch rate only command which is not good. So - for a 'good' pilot friendly airplane, we really do need a minimal, but not too much, static stability. There are also dynamic considerations but we will stick to static pitch stability for now. The way we classically measure the degree of stability is by static margin which is simply how far foward of the aerodynamic neutral point the CG is located. When we design military aircraft, we look at many other metrics, however for conventional aircraft like the Lightning, we can pretty well predict pitch axis flying qualities by looking at the static margin and the stick force characteristics which relate to the sticks mechanical design as well as the tail size and static margin. Lets stick to the static margin. We traditionally measure it in % of mean wing chord or %c_bar. Aircraft with good flying qualities will have CG located at least 3 to 4%c_bar foward of the aerodynamic neutral point. Note when the CG actually goes aft of the neutral point really really bad things happen! Dont go there!
Now in aircraft design phase, we would use sizing criteria such as tail area x tail distance aft of CG and we would do wind tunnel testing to determine exactly where the aerodynamic neutral point is located as function of airspeed. Yes, it will move foward and aft with airspeed changes. Fortunately for us, at the airspeeds our aircraft operate, the neutral point is approx at a constant location. So, when I build MY Lightning, I will want my CG to stay at least 4% foward of the neutral point. Simple huh? Wait a minute, we dont have any wind tunnel data, so where ist that darn neutral point located?
Well, I think we might have a good data point for that. My concerns began when I talked to Gregg Hobbs right after he flew first time fully loaded. Now Gregg has the (not production) 'heavy fuselage' and thus his CG is well aft of current production versions. Gregg was still pretty excited (scared?) about the flight characteristics he experienced that day when I talked with him. Enough so that he interupted his flight and sent plane back to Shelbyville via truck. Well, thats one way to do a cross country I guess.

My conclusion is that his CG was at or very close to the aircrafts aerodynamic nuetral point. I dont know the actual cg value he was at but if he does, we can use that to determine where we might want our CG range to fall. His airplane will have the same aerodynamic neutral point as current production versions. I believe his is different only in its weight and CG characteristics.

There are a lot of other issues to consider but from pilot reports I hear, I believe the Lightning has very nice yaw and roll stability characteristics. I know the pitch stability has been worked (lighter aft fuselage thus CG farther foward) but I would like to know a little more about current characteristics.
Of course I will fly it before I would start building one however I would also like to know about what static margin the basic aircraft has?

Several of your emails also discussed wing area and much more importantly wing loading. While wing loading is an important parameter, and lighter wing loadings will result in larger aircraft responses to vertical gusts, the Lightning is actually better than most of new crop of Light Sport aircraft and actually very similiar to many old timer GA aircraft. I ran a few numbers for selected aircraft at published max gross weight and at approximately

Wing Loading - (Lb/SqFt)
Aircraft Wing Area Max GW Empty + pilot + min fuel
C-172 174   14.7   10.7
C-182 175.5   17.7     11.9
RV6   110   14.5   10.6
RV9   124   14.1     9.8
RV10   148   18.2   11.7
G36(Bonanza) 181   20.2   15.0

Since in terms of aircraft gust response, larger numbers for wing loading will be better, that is less 'bouncy' in turbulence we can see that in this regard, the Lightning is exemplary. While it is a very light weight aircraft, its relatively small wing area results in very good numbers for wing loading.
note that while its not going to make Bonanza drivers smile (at least until they stop at gas pumps), the C-172, RV and most of the LSA crowd will
be impressed. Based on wing loading only, this aircraft has potential to be as good or better than most GA aircraft.

In summary, based on numbers I have evaluated and what I know from others flight experiences, I believe the Lightning is one of if not the best of the Experimental and new LSA aircraft available with the possible concern about STATIC MARGIN, however iIF? that is still an issue, it is fixable via larger horiz tail mods and/or center of gravity changes (move engine foward slightly?). I still want one!

Max Givan

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com

Quote:

Wow, John, that's a big question. We appoint you to lead the effort to research that topic and report back to all of us. You will find lots of written information in various aeronautics and astronautics text books, lots of articles, and obviously lots of hangar talk sessions. But as a start, yes, wing area is one indicator of stability, but it is not as simple as that. Other things to consider are airfoil, aspect ratio, dihedral, fuselage length, tail size, and on and on and on. Actually, wing area alone is probably a better indicator of stall speed, but that too is an over simplification. But hey, you are thinking (so many do not) and that is a good thing. Keep up the good work.
Blue Skies,
Buz
Quote:

[quote][b]

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

As Max and Buz have pointed out, wing loading, or any other single element
alone wont' tell you if the plane is stable or not. For instance you could
have great wing loading and a horizontal stabilzer that is too small for a
given distance back.

Now, if it were Greg's plane that we want to talk about let me give some
additional info. First off, Greg's plane wasn't shipped back, it flew back
to Shelbyville. Nick did the first couple of flights, then Greg wanted to
fly it rather than let one of us fly it and get the kinks worked out. I
understand you're coming from an engineering background Max, and you sound
like you'd be a really interesting guy to sit down and talk with for a few
hours, but let's consider a few different variables here when evaluating the
Lightning based on Greg's plane. (by the way have you talked to him in a
while about how much better his plane flies now?)

He did start for Arizona and then turn back. I think that he kind of scared
himself. Why did this happen? Was it because of stability, control? Well,
first off let me say that Greg, while he's a great guy, admitted that he
isn't the greatest pilot and he doesn't really enjoy flying just to fly, but
uses it as a tool to get from one place to another. (personally I think
he's better than giving himself credit for, just needed a little more time
to get used to the plane before embarking cross-country) Now if that were
my only case it wouldn't be worthwhile. He asked me to fly the plane out to
Arizona with him. He didn't feel confident enough that he knew the airplane
well enough to fly that distance. He also wanted me to fly because I have a
little more experience flying in the weather. Mostly he wanted me because
I'd been flying time off of these planes and engines and know what to look
for and if anything little started to look out of place then I might
recognize it earlier than he would.

When Greg left out the first time he had filled the baggage compartment
full, and did it with heavy stuff. So much so that he was most likely too
far aft of C.G. Now we all know that isn't a good thing in any airplane.
That wasn't all that was the problem either though. The first time that I
flew the plane I knew something wasn't quiet right. Nick, who had flown the
prototype, gave me an hour transition or so in the airplane. It was Greg's
plane. While I was controlling the airplane ok, the stick pressures were a
little wierd. I told Nick to "watch this" and turned loose of the stick and
the airplane decended, even with full aft trim and at high speeds, low
speeds, any speeds. At first I figured that the trim had come loose and
wasn't trimming. That should mean that at some speed that it would stay
straight and level though. So it was unfavorable, but manageable. It
wasn't what I'd desire. Nick said that the prototype didn't do that. We
messed with it a bit and found that you had to trim opposite of what you
would think as you accelerated. There was also a roll to the right I think
which was because one flap wasn't quiet positioned even with the other side.
That was easy enough to fix.

When we would come in to land we noticed it wanted to nose down and hit the
nosegear which could make you bounce back into the air and we had to land it
like a tailwheel putting the stick all the way back after you got the mains
on. So we scratched our heads. No it wasn't a prototype, but it wasn't a
production model either. It was something slightly different, but why this
change? Now remember this was an airplane with two different guys working
on the main structure of the plane at the same time and there was no
builder's manual yet. I believe that what we found out was that one or both
horizontal stabilizers were mounted slightly off the angle of incidence that
they needed to be at. The problems were corrected before we headed to
Arizona and it was a safe and good flying airplane out there. Still needed
a little less flap on one side because of a right roll. The plane was
slower than it should've been, but that was due to the fact that many of the
fairings weren't fully on there, I had some aileron and rudder out there to
correct for the right roll rate, etc. These were all little issues of
cleanup that he fixed once he got the plane home.

Oh, if this is where you got the mistaken notion that the Jabiru engines
have heat issues I can explain that too. Greg, not an aerodynamicist, but a
tinkerer and thinker decided that his engine was warm. Well, they all are
warmer during break-in and running on straight mineral oil. After about 25
hours and switching to non-mineral oil the temps come down to more around
normal. So during engine break in he decided that the baffle just in front
of the foremost cylinder head was flat and that it needed to be smoother
going into there. (there are also a series of baffles between each
cylinder. You don't want a laminar airflow over the heads, but a set amount
of disturbance to direct the air eveny across each cylinder and provide for
close to the same temps on all heads) So Greg put in a ramp in front of the
front baffle. Then when you put any kind of an angle of attack on the
cylinder heads would start to rise. What was happening was that as the
angle of attack increased the airflow was pretty much skipping over the tops
of the heads and emptying out the outlet on the bottom. Sometimes what you
think will make it work even better, won't. Trust the manufacturer and
their recommendations. As soon as the ramp, that Greg had fashioned and
installed was removed, the CHT's were normal. Also a lesson in the fact if
it isn't broke don't try to fix it.

Just a few thoughts for you there on the stability issues Max. The plane
is stable about all axis and you're right it does really well for a light
sport in turbulence, compared to other light sport aircraft. As I have said
it is most closely neutrally stable (although not fully nuetral) about the
roll axis. This was no doubt to make it a more responsive aircraft to roll
inputs. I've had several people ask me if it were twitchy in pitch. No, it
really isn't. It is responsive, but it isn't likely to overcontrol. Soon
I'm going to fly Earl's plane a little, which will be the first Light Sport
Lightning. Nick tells me that it is dialed in where it needs to be on
speeds (both max and stall) and that it's climb rate is phenominal solo.
(it's only been flown solo) He says that it is a very well balanced and
nice flying machine, not just in stability, but in the "feel" of the
airplane. I can't overemphasize that last part enough. The feel, or the
feedback from this plane is just absolutely wonderful. The control
pressures are perfect and the linkage just put you in harmony with the
plane. You really need to find one and take a flight Max. I think that
you'll be impressed.

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

Doug,
You're absolutely right. A guy at our airport went in to get an annual
inspection on a Bonanza the other day. The mechanic checked everything out
and decided it was time to replace some rudder cables. He did and the guy
came and picked it up. On a cross-country shortly after he asked the
mechanic what he did, to which he replied, "what do you mean, is it not
flying right?" The guy told him that he had always had to hold in a little
aileron and that now he doesn't and the plane was 10-15 knots faster than it
ever had been. The rudder had been out of rigging slightly all that time
and the rudder was deflected to one side. Even though you couldn't see it
with your naked eye on the ground, that's what happened. Each airframe
takes a little time to get everything tweaked.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think finding out the little things and then having
them fixed and flying again to see how it reacts is part of the fun of it
all. Brian W.

pete(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

Max,

We’ve got to get your facts right. Maybe Greg didn’t mention the 93 lbs of tools, baggage etc that he had in the baggage compartment when with his early fuselage should have had no more than 20 lbs. By our calculations his CG was 2 inches behind the aft CG limit. Also- Nick flew the aircraft back to Shelbyville – without excess weight I the baggage compartment – without a great amount of pilot workload. It was not trucked anywhere. I flew along side in the Jabiru J250 (Nick was kind enough to slow down when he wasn’t doing wide S turns around me to keep from going away!). I think you may have received less than the whole story and perhaps that is where your perception of Lightning stability comes from.

When properly loaded to the aft CG limit in the POH our calculations show the cg to be more than 4% of c_bar forward of the neutral point. However, with the early fuselage and 93 lbs in the baggage compartment CG &neutral point are about in the same location.

You might re-read Brian Wittingham’s accounts of the handling and stability of Greg’s aircraft without the 93 lbs in the baggage compartment when they flew it home to Tucson. Those posts are recent in the archives of this list. There did not seem to be a stability issue.

Pete Krotje
Arion Aircraft, LLC

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Givan, Max
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:18 PM
Subject: RE: IFR and x-c stability?

Wing Loading - (Lb/SqFt)
Aircraft   Wing Area Max GW Empty + pilot + min fuel
C-172 174   14.7   10.7
C-182 175.5   17.7   11.9
RV6   110   14.5    10.6
RV9   124  14.1   9.8
RV10   148   18.2   11.7
G36(Bonanza) 181   20.2    15.0

Max Givan

Quote:

Blue Skies,

Buz
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

in an earlier e mail something was brought up about wing loading it was just meant that the lightning had a higer wing loading than the esqual giving a better "ride" not stability at all....however the stability of the lightning is far better than the esqual and more that of a RV-6 or similar aircraft...if you really must have numbers i could give you them...but numbers aren't nearly as good as a few old fashion pilot reports and there are plenty of people on this list that have flown the lightning hundreds of miles on cross countrys and will tell you that it flies beautifully when properly loaded and configured....

nick

Clifford Walinsky <cliffw(at)model.com> wrote:
[quote]--> Lightning-List message posted by: Clifford Walinsky

N1BZRich(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
In a message dated 8/23/2006 9:13:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
empire.john(at)gmail.com writes:

Wow, John, that's a big question. We appoint you to lead the effort to
research that topic and report back to all of us. You will find lots
of written information in various aeronautics and astronautics text
books, lots of articles, and obviously lots of hangar talk sessions.
But as a start, yes, wing area is one indicator of stability, but it
is not as simple as that. Other things to consider are airfoil, aspect
ratio, dihedral, fuselage length, tail size, and on and on and on.
Actually, wing area alone is probably a better indicator of stall
speed, but that too is an over simplification. But hey, you are
thinking (so many do not) and that is a good thing. Keep up the good work.
Blue Skies,
Buz

I'd been led to believe that wing loading was a good indication of
"stability". Here is an excerpt from answers.com:

[quote] In aerodynamics, wing loading is the loaded weight of the aircraft
divided by the area of the wing. It is broadly reflective of the
aircraft's lift-to-mass ratio, which affects its rate of climb,
load-carrying ability, and turn performance.

Typical wing loadings range from 20 lb/ft² (100 kg/m²) for general
aviation aircraft, to 80 to 120 lb/ft² (390 to 585 kg/m²) for
high-speed designs like modern fighter aircraft...

Wing loading also affects gust response, the degree to which the
aircraft is affected by turbulence and variations in air density. A
highly loaded wing has more inertia and a small wing has less area on
which a gust can act, both of which serve to smooth the ride. For
high-speed, low-level [quote][b]

dashvii(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

Poor Greg, I think that he scared himself enough that he went overboard. He
did learn his lesson about flying a plane much aft of CG. He took almost
all of his stuff and shipped it home and only had a change of clothes and a
fuel tools just in case we needed them when traveling. He put all the tools
in the side pouches which ripped the interior loose because of the weight
pulling down on them.

It really was a smooth ride out. I had a minimum acceptable level that I
wanted it to meet but it far surpassed that. I was really quiet surprised
at how well it did handle. I know I have used this comparison before, but
given that I've only flown 25 different types of aircraft thusfar I compare
it to a Mooney. A Mooney is a lot bigger and will handle the bumps a little
better, granted, but it has that sporty and responsive feel, but makes a
pretty good cross-country cruiser! When we started flying over the bigger
mountains on the back side I braced myself for a good jolt. There was a
bump, but no worse than any other plane. Very surprised and pleased with
that. (I have on occasion been in bad enough turbulence that you have the
ever-changing CG because of the junk in the cabin floating around your head)
Brian W.

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

Hey Max,
Good run down. I felt like I was back in Aero 101 at the Air Force Academy. However, I wish you had mentioned your talk with Greg Hobbs in your earlier message and we could have cleared this up for you sooner. The Lightning is a delightful aircraft. I love my Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff) but the Lightning is an all around a better airplane, and I will be building one at some point in the future.
As a side note, yesterday I gave demo rides to two individuals thinking of building a Lightning together. One is an experienced pilot, the other is a student with 6 hours in a Cessna 150. I put both in the left seat and both flew 31BZ just fine. In fact, the low time guy's comment was "I could learn to fly in this airplane". And he could, with no problems. He loved the way it handled and the fantastic visibility. 
So for anyone reading this that still thinks the Lightning is not a good cross country machine or not a good sport airplane, get in touch with me an take a ride in 31BZ - and remember, the real Lightning is so much better than my hybrid Esqual w/ Lightning Stuff.
Blue Skies,
Buz
[quote][b]

Colin K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: IFR and x-c stability? Reply with quote

I think we can safely add another plus to the reasons to build a Lightning,
and that is the knowledgeable engagement of numerous builders and aviators,
sharing their practical and theoretic experience with all who subscribe to
this list.

Thank you, Buzz, Max, Doug, Nick, Pete, Brian, Tex, Korky et al. Long may it
continue!

The only thing I am concerned about, is that by the time I bite the bullet,
the waiting list may be longer than I would like.
Colin K.
OK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: