Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lightning handling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EAFerguson(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Lightning handling Reply with quote

Well, it's my turn to chime in on Lightning performance.

Background: I just completed my Light Sport Lightning,, N17EF. Nick put 4+ hours on it and I started flying it last week. Through Wed it has a total of 19+ hours. Mine is the first with the new, lighter fuselage. Empty weight came in at 806#. I haven't put the vortex generators on so far, and hope I don't have to. So, I have about 15 hours in my Lightning. Not many, but this is the first LS with the lighter fuselage, and this is the first dataset for those Light Sports which will follow.

Other facts: Jaburu 6 cylinder. Ground adjustable prop, set to give 120KTAS at 2850 RPM. Limited instrumentation, My EFIS had not arrived yet. My Mag compass is defective and will have to be replaced (it sticks). And no slip indicator. With such limited instrumentation, any performance data is very limited, but stability can be explored. After the compass problem developed, Buz loaned me his hand held GPS which helped a lot.

I have some background in aircraft performance. I'm retired Navy pilot with around 3500 hours and a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering with major interest in dynamics and controls. However, I left the aerospace industry many years ago. It was (and is) too unstable. I am a practicing engineer with considerable test experience. Enough of that, but I do know something about aircraft stability..

Flights in N17EF so far have been to break in the engine and get used to the handling. In a nutshell, it is a great flying airplane. Very light controls, very responsive. The pitch sensitivity from the Hybrid, (which I have also flown) is gone. I don't want Model C or P handling, 172's are like driving trucks. Before this I had a Grumman AA5 Traveler.

Regarding stability. All flights have been at weights in the range 1000 to 1100 lbs. Handling will change at higher weights, but that's not tested yet. Stability also tends to change with speed. Since I'm breaking the engine in, I haven't been full throttle. At 3100 the oil temp climbs, so I have no data above 3050 Rs. I have flown from 40K up to 160K IAS(in a descent). Straight and level to about 147KTAS. Stability is relatively constant in the normal cruise range (110-140K). Slightly positive in pitch and roll. It will trim hands off until a disturbance comes along (Pilot moves, rough air are examples) then it will pitch or roll and you have to correct. . That's about neutral, maybe slightly positive stability. I think it's more stable at the high end of the speed range, but I don't have much time above 2950 Rs.

At low speeds, 10 to 20K above stall (no flaps), the responses are still good, but the controls become mushy. Stability is still about netural.  The A/S indicator reads down to 40K, and the errors at the low end are unknown for now. Next week with the EFIS in, that will be different.

For those concerned about IFR stability and cross-country flying, it handles very well in rough air- but you have to fly it. Frankly, I was expecting a rougher ride than I've had so far. Since I don't have an FAA Medical and am flying under the Light Sport Rules, I can't fly IFR, but I would not hesitate to do so in this bird. With luck, AOPA says I can get my med back in another year. I'm prepared, have VOR, ILS w/GS installed.

E-mail me if you want to see an inflght pix.

Life is short, build and fly fast.

Earl Ferguson

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N111KX (Kip)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightning handling Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Earl. I just saw a pic of your bird in flight on the Lightning webpage. Looks great...!
Kip

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List

Quickie 1, N111QX
Atlanta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: