Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Spinner Bulkhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baremetl(at)gvtc.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

After 14 years and 1300 hours of running my Sterba 68x72 prop on my -4, I have decided to try something with a little more pitch. My new 68x78 Sterba arrived and off came the old prop . Surprise, the front spinner bulkhead is cracked again. This has been an ongoing problem for me despite making it fit like a glove with flox and resin a few years ago. So I have a new one from Van's (9") and surprise (again), it doesn't fit . This time, instead of being a little too small, it is a little too big. Just enough to stop the spinner from going on all the way to the edge of the rear bulkhead to line up the screw holes back there. Pushing harder just won't do it. So my question is: Has anyone tried running with no front bulkhead? Anyone know of a source for a slightly smaller bulkhead? Any other ideas?
Thanks,

Ivan Haecker -4 1300hrs S.Cen. TX

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
PGLong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

I'm presently running with no attachment to the front spinner plate. It is still there however. I'm using a three blade Catto prop and this is the way that Craig Catto indicated would work just fine. So far it does and the spinner looks great without extra holes. My last prop was a Sterba and I had to shave about .125 from the front of the prop hub to make the spinner fit. Was too tight and the same problem I think your having.

Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

Do Not Archive
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

Pat,
MHWH tape layered underneath the spinner on the bulkhead helps too. I still like having screws through the spinner into the bulkhead, I have seen an RV4 that lost the spinner inflight, cracked the canopy as it went by the cockpit and hit the tail hard enough to feel it in the stick. Flush SS look fine...

RR

PGLong(at)aol.com wrote:[quote] I'm presently running with no attachment to the front spinner plate. It is still there however. I'm using a three blade Catto prop and this is the way that Craig Catto indicated would work just fine. So far it does and the spinner looks great without extra holes. My last prop was a Sterba [quote][b]

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

Ivan, don't run without a front spinner bulkhead, you will lose the spinner...

RR

"H.Ivan Haecker" <baremetl(at)gvtc.com> wrote:[quote] After 14 years and 1300 hours of running my Sterba 68x72 prop on my -4, I have decided to try something with a little more pitch. My new 68x78 Sterba arrived and off came the old prop . Surprise, the front spinner bulkhead is cracked again. This has been an ongoing problem for me despite making it fit like a glove with flox and resin a few years ago. So I have a new one from Van's (9") and surprise (again), it doesn't fit . This time, instead of being a little too small, it is a little too big. Just enough to stop [quote][b]

baremetl(at)gvtc.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

Pat, I believe you are right. I talked to Sterba today and was told the prop should be 4 3/8" thick. However mine is about .060 more than that. How did you shave some material from the front of the hub? I would think it important to keep the front parallel with the back. Today I tried sanding the inside of the spinner to remove any high spots and was able to force it on, but it is still very tight! Maybe a day sitting out in the unrelenting heat around here will fix it.

Ray, you and others have me convinced. No running without a front bulkhead!!

Ivan Haecker
[quote] ---

PGLong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

Ivan

I used a friend's Pin Mill, at least that's what I think is was. You could also use a vertical milling machine with a wood end router bit in it. This pin mill was just a vertical hi speed spindle that had an end mill in it. I simply set the gap to the table at 4-3/8" and moved the prop by hand under it on a smooth flat table. Guess you could even use a router if you come up with a way to maintain the proper gap. Anyway, that solved my problem.
Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

baremetl(at)gvtc.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Front Spinner Bulkhead Reply with quote

Pat,
Thanks for the advice. I will find someone with a mill or, if not, then try the router method. Either way, I feel this will be the best solution. After all, I suppose someone designed the sizes of the spinner and bulkheads based upon the prop being the correct thickness.

Ivan Haecker Do not archive
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: