Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine monitor system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiger862(at)ligtel.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

I am wanting to have an engine CHT and EGT monitor system installed in my Tiger, and was wondering which one was the best EI or JPI? Does anyone have any opinions.

Thanks Chad
[quote][b]

- The Matronics TeamGrumman-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?TeamGrumman-List
halb(at)adelphia.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

I have used both companys products and find both very good however I prefer the JPI do to its faster responce time.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flyv35b(at)minetfiber.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

If you get the UBG-16 with the fast response probes I doubt if there is any difference at all. Aftermarket service from EI is excellent. I don't think you can claim that with JPI.

I sell both JPI and EI instruments.

Cliff A&P/IA

[quote] ---

tiger862(at)ligtel.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the info. Chad
[quote] ---

tiger862(at)ligtel.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the info. Chad
[quote] ---

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

I've been installing JPIs for 9 years now. I've never had any problems with their service. I've even returned units for updates and repairs and they've been turned around very quickly.

I've also used both units. I like the logic and display on the JPI.  Over the years, the EI has come to be more like the JPI. Good reason, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You'll never hear of the JPI becoming more like the EI.

The EI, with the P-100 probes, will measure CHTs as much as 70 degrees cooler than the JPI. Now, if watching lower temps is somehow less stressful, then go with the EI. As for the P-101 probe, I haven't had one to test so I can't say.

My biggest gripe with the EI is the metal sheathed wires to the probes.  Wires that can't be cut to length. The EI installation ends up having a big wad of wires left over, usually under the panel. I can install ALL of the wires to a JPI, including fuel flow, a tach sensor, carb heat and oil temp through a 1/2 inch diameter hole in the firewall. When wrapped with spiral wrap or expando sleeve, it makes for a very neat installation. I don't know if you've ever seen the installation on my Tiger, but, there are no visable wires.

By the time you add up all the costs, prices are comparable too. The faster response EGT probes are $104 more EACH. Quote from EI, "Our new EGT probe is one-half the size (measured by area) of our standard probe. It’s also now the same size as JPI’s probe except for their tapered tip, which EI will not manufacture because of reliability and durability issues."
- - - - I've never seen any durability problems with the JPI.

On the EI web site, they compare the features of a UBG-16 to a JPI. A lot of it is total bunk based on my experience with the JPI. On the first line, Price, they compare a UBG-16 to a JPI 700. The JPI retails for $2195, no TIT. Note, the 700 comes with the faster response probes and complete data recording and analysis and trend finding software.  (a $395 option on an EI)

On the second line, Price, they compare prices for the UBG-16 and a JPI 800 (retails for $3990 wo TIT) HOWEVER, the 800, in addition to all of the 700 features, includes fuel flow, digital tach, Manifold Absolute Pressure, OAT, and displays percent power. The TIT option is $165.

Third line: Case size, Yes, the JPI is a bit long. But, I've only had one installation where depth was a issue.

Fourth line: Resolution. The JPI reads 1 degree resolution. I've never seen any jumpy readings. But, isn't it nice to know you have the option to change the resolution?

Fifth line: and your point is???

sixth line: Normalize mode: EI claims that once you leave Normalize, the information is lost. You still have all the data recorded. Down load it after a flight.
Note on downloading: The JPI has an option to plug a USB memory stick into and then you can take the stick home an put it in your computer.  No need to take a laptop to the airport.

7th line, True peak, I have seen the leanest cylinder change from cylinder to cylinder until it finds the true leanest. For-what-it's-worth, I rarely rely on the lean find for anything other than curiosity. Finding the leanest cylinder by watching which Normailized mode is more fun for me.

8th line: Independent Resolution: Really, who give a shit what the segments read, that's why we all want a digital readout in the first place.

9th line: Number of Pilot Alarms. Just what is an over temp/under temp on an EGT anyway? EGTs are relative and totally dependent on the location of the probe in the cylinder. The CHT alarms on the JPI go by the order of importance. Let's say they all go over 450 and the hottest one starts to flash at say 455. If that cylinder cools and another cylinder is hotter, the flashing column goes to that cylinder. All you care about is the hottest cylinder at that time anyway.

Line 10: See comment on EGTs for line 9.

Line 11: Rich/Lean of Peak. With only a couple of exceptions, ALL engines are leaned rich of peak. I set up my JPI for lean of peak just for grins. It behaves about the same as for rich of peak.

Line 12: Scan mode: When you turn the JPI on, it goes to scan mode. You can stop the scan at any time by touching the scan button. You can start it again by leaving it alone for 2 minutes or by touching the lean find and then the scan button. I don't see the iportance here.

Line 13: Stores last peak reading. The EI page says no, but, funny, each time I download the data after a flight, damn, there it is....

Line 14: Additional functions: the EI has an alarm for high and low OAT. Cool. The EI also has an alarm for high and low Carb temp. OK. The EI has an alarm for high and low fuel flow. Not sure how this is important. Oil Pressure/amps/gyro vacuum: this is interesting, I didn't know the UBG-16 displayed oil pressure/amps/gyro vacuum.

So, the EI has ability to display the high an low values for up to 16 functions (32 total). Is that important or just another limit to set and forget? You decide. After using a JPI for the last 7 years, I've never found a function I wish I had. If I could add/change anything to/on my JPI 800, it would be the ability to read % power and RPM at the top of the screen all the time and skip the RPM scan.

Gary [quote][b]

923te(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

Gary,

I used to think you could not cut the EI wires as well. I learned that you can and that it is actually in their instructions.

I installed the UBG 16 and cut the wires to fit and it works fine.

I have wanted to ask you about your comparison where you got the 70deg diference in temp readings. I have been told that if one used a JPI instrument witn an EI probe you would not have the correct calibration. When you did your comparison did you have both a JPI probe with a JPI instrument and an EI probe with a EI instrument simultaneously running?

Thanks,
Ned
Quote:

My biggest gripe with the EI is the metal sheathed wires to the probes. Wires that can't be cut to length. The EI installation ends up having a big wad of wires left over, usually under the panel. I can install ALL of the wires to a JPI, including fuel flow, a tach sensor, carb heat and oil temp through a 1/2 inch diameter hole in the firewall. When wrapped with spiral wrap or expando sleeve, it makes for a very neat installation. I don't know if you've ever seen the installation on my Tiger, but, there are no visable wires.
[quote][b]

FLYaDIVE(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

Team:

Since engine monitoring equipment is not on the TC can't we install any
monitoring equipment we wish? I know many of the pieces out there have an STC, but
wouldn't a 337 work as well? I ask this because I was thinking about a Grand
Rapids EIS.

Barry

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/30/06 10:36:52 AM, 923te(at)cox.net writes:

Quote:
When you did your comparison did you have both  a JPI probe with a JPI instrument and an EI probe with a EI instrument simultaneously running?

yes [quote][b]

GrummanDude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: engine monitor system Reply with quote

In a message dated 8/30/06 1:46:59 PM, FLYaDIVE(at)aol.com writes:

Quote:
I know many of the pieces out there have an STC, but
wouldn't a 337 work as well? 

All I do is a Form 337 [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> TeamGrumman-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: