Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

video input/taxi camera and other questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince Frazier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: video input/taxi camera and other questions Reply with quote

OK, one of you geeks out there knows where to find such a device.... a Windows CE driven camera. Go! Fetch! Good boy! Wink

Vince

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:46 PM
To: Frazier, Vincent A
Subject: Re: video input/taxi camera and other questions

The ASI calibration is in the release Jeff and I are testing now. We thought we would release it tomorrow, but it might be another couple of days because I messed up the new function for defining missed approach altitudes, decision altitudes, and a pre-set altitude for the vertical nav function.

I checked into the camera thing (which by the way, we have had others request). Our software engineer said that a web cam that plugs into our USB port would provide us with video, but that he was unaware of any webcams that include a driver for Windows CE (this is the embedded version of windows that we use...it is quite different from the version on your PC). So, all we need is the software driver. If you heard of someonw that found a webcam that includes a Windows CE driver, find out what camera that is, and let us know. This would be a free update.

I don't want to get you too excited though. If we can't find a camera that includes the driver, we would need to write our own. This is not a trival task, and a very rough estimate of the cost to do so is in the range of $15,000-$30,000 worth of labor. We would only do this if we thought we could earn that much back, which is unclear at this time. In other words, don't count on it if we have to write the driver.

Interestingly, when I tested the winds aloft calc, my RV-6A was off by less than 1 foot/sec at crusing speed. (I have Van's recommended static and pitot ports.)

Thanks
Greg
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List

812-464-1839 work
812-985-7309 home
F-1H Rocket, N540VF
http://vincesrocket.com/
wmjack1(at)t3cs.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: video input/taxi camera and other questions Reply with quote

WinCE WebCam driver link:

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7191593413.html

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Frazier, Vincent A
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:01 PM
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com; rv-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: FW: video input/taxi camera and other questions

OK, one of you geeks out there knows where to find such a device.... a Windows CE driven camera. Go! Fetch! Good boy! Wink

Vince

The ASI calibration is in the release Jeff and I are testing now. We thought we would release it tomorrow, but it might be another couple of days because I messed up the new function for defining missed approach altitudes, decision altitudes, and a pre-set altitude for the vertical nav function.

I checked into the camera thing (which by the way, we have had others request). Our software engineer said that a web cam that plugs into our USB port would provide us with video, but that he was unaware of any webcams that include a driver for Windows CE (this is the embedded version of windows that we use...it is quite different from the version on your PC). So, all we need is the software driver. If you heard of someonw that found a webcam that includes a Windows CE driver, find out what camera that is, and let us know. This would be a free update.

I don't want to get you too excited though. If we can't find a camera that includes the driver, we would need to write our own. This is not a trival task, and a very rough estimate of the cost to do so is in the range of $15,000-$30,000 worth of labor. We would only do this if we thought we could earn that much back, which is unclear at this time. In other words, don't count on it if we have to write the driver.

Interestingly, when I tested the winds aloft calc, my RV-6A was off by less than 1 foot/sec at crusing speed. (I have Van's recommended static and pitot ports.)

Thanks

Greg
[quote]
---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: video input/taxi camera and other questions Reply with quote

Jack, I'm a new guy in the Rocket world having bought a flying HR2 and having built my RV4 in 96'. My first Rocket impression was "forward visibility like an Ag Cat, big S turns required". After seeing a Rocket from IN at Oshkosh (before the accident) with the forward ;ipstick camera I first thought "great idea", my second thought was "why"?
I have flown alot of big taildraggers mainly Ag-sprayers and biplanes with very poor forward visibility and one of my first employers told me "always clear your flightpath". Since then I have used that addage in every facet of flight from cubs to the F16 with good results so far. The TBM guy was new to the airplane and obviously didn't clear his. Guys have been flying big taildraggers for a long time now and I still believe in looking in front, whatever that takes. Nothing wrong with cameras but one peek from and S turn is worth a thousand cross-checks...

Rob Ray

Jack Hilditch <wmjack1(at)t3cs.net> wrote:
[quote] v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } WinCE WebCam driver link:

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Frazier, Vincent A
Sent: Wednesday, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />August 30, 2006 5:01 PM

Vince

Thanks

Greg

[quote] ---

nico(at)cybersuperstore.c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: video input/taxi camera and other questions Reply with quote

What would tempt me is to not do S-turns any longer and rely on the camera alone. If I can see I can see, why bother acting like a drunk?

From: owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rocket-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of rob ray
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:01 AM
To: rocket-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: FW: video input/taxi camera and other questions

Jack, I'm a new guy in the Rocket world having bought a flying HR2 and having built my RV4 in 96'. My first Rocket impression was "forward visibility like an Ag Cat, big S turns required". After seeing a Rocket from IN at Oshkosh (before the accident) with the forward ;ipstick camera I first thought "great idea", my second thought was "why"?

I have flown alot of big taildraggers mainly Ag-sprayers and biplanes with very poor forward visibility and one of my first employers told me "always clear your flightpath". Since then I have used that addage in every facet of flight from cubs to the F16 with good results so far. The TBM guy was new to the airplane and obviously didn't clear his. Guys have been flying big taildraggers for a long time now and I still believe in looking in front, whatever that takes. Nothing wrong with cameras but one peek from and S turn is worth a thousand cross-checks...

Rob Ray

Jack Hilditch <wmjack1(at)t3cs.net> wrote:
[quote]
WinCE WebCam driver link:

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:01 PM

Vince

Thanks

Greg

[quote]
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: