Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a Firestar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Anyone know of one for sale in the southeast. I also have a skyraider kit for sale just needs to be covered has 100 hrs on the airframe and 503 DCDI with b box. I don't have the time to finish it. GREAT kit plane.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Why in the world would you take the covering off your skyraider if you were not able to recover it ?? There are much better and easier ways to inspect airplanes without ripping off all the covering.

So just to make sure im clear on this, you have needlessly ripped all the covering off your only flyable plane, which was in good condition... Now you are looking to buy something already built because you want to fly ???

Am I missing something here Confused

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
ulflyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

What prompted you to take the covering off at only 100 hours? Were
you looking for possible damage or something? Was it stored outside
or hangared? What year was the kit produced and what year placed in service?
jerb

At 04:08 PM 1/22/2006, you wrote:
Quote:

Anyone know of one for sale in the southeast. I also have a
skyraider kit for sale just needs to be covered has 100 hrs on the
airframe and 503 DCDI with b box. I don't have the time to finish
it. GREAT kit plane.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=5946#5946

firebug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Because the covering job looked like SH*T. There was NO chafing tape on the plane anywhere. The builder put the chafing tape on the airframe, THE FRAME, not on the exterior over the high points where its supposed to be. I don't know about you but I will not fly a plane that was not built properly. It is a pain in the A** to get the chafing tape off of the airframe once it is glued on. He rapped it around the smaller tubes more than once. I had to use MEK to desolve the glue and pry the tape off. To recap, he glued the chafing tape to the airframe then glued the fabric over the chafing tape. Everything else was fine. Because I bought the plane over the internet and had it deleivered I could not see this. Now I have run out of time to build and want to find something else. I hate that because I really wanted a Skyraider. I worked with the factory selling the kits at Sun n Fun and Oshkosh so I know the planes well. To me the Kolb is the next best thing. Any other questions?

FS2Kolb(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/22/06 5:33:29 PM Mountain Standard Time,
gcc1964(at)mon-ce.net writes:

Quote:
I hate that because I really wanted a Skyraider. I worked with the factory
selling the kits at Sun n Fun and Oshkosh so I know the planes well. To me
the Kolb is the next best thing.

Hi bug,
Your wrong the FireStar the is the best and the Skyraider is second best.

ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

I have a Firestar You can buy that I rebuilt and a nice job I am told by
many to take it to S&F to park at the Kolb Area You can see pictures of it in
the photo share the Green and White Flamed out Firestar with many extras
if your interested contact me off list at , ElleryWeld(at)aol.com

Ellery
do not archive

gtb(at)commspeed.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

A price and location on that SkyRaider for sale
would be nice. Especially since there is no way
to contact you using the e-mail heading listed
as yours at the top os your messages.......

i.e.; "firebug" <gcc1964(at)mon-ce.net>

Bounces.

George

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

the chafing tape on the airframe, THE FRAME, not on the exterior over the
high points where its supposed to be. >>

Hi,

this intrigues me. If the tape is not between the frame and the covering
what does it do?. What chafes on the OUTSIDE of the covering?

Pat

--

firebug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Chafing tape is put on the high spots of the airframe because those parts are more likely to rub against objects. Look at a Cub or other fabric covered aircraft, you will see chafing tape on the airframe. When the airframes high points rub on something the chafing tape rubs instead of the fabric. This makes the fabric twice as thick which makes it twice as had to rub through. You will typically see it on the longerons and any other area that protrudes.

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

What we have here is more a confusion in nomenclature than fact.
A chafing tape would be occasionally necessary on a rough surface
directly over the frame before covering. The tape on the outside
of the fabric is (no kidding) surface tape. It provides both additional
strength at protruding points and is a sacrificial bump absorber.

Not much more to that subject, unless you get down to diddly stuff
like pinked vs straight edge, bias tape, whether to use grade A, etc.
-BB
On 23, Jan 2006, at 5:36 AM, pat ladd wrote:

Quote:

the chafing tape on the airframe, THE FRAME, not on the exterior over
the
high points where its supposed to be. >>

Hi,

this intrigues me. If the tape is not between the frame and the
covering
what does it do?. What chafes on the OUTSIDE of the covering?

Pat

--

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Firebug,

So it turns out that the airplane was properly built, and that the covering was ripped off for nothing Shocked Chafing tape on the inside of the covering would certainly not hurt anything. Sounds like you tore up a perfectly good airplane to me Crying or Very sad .

The guys were correct about something eles, the firestar is much better than the skyraider. Being out in front of everything with unlimited visibility is what this type of flying is all about Very Happy . If you want to be closed in with no visibility like the Skyraider, you might as well be flying around a Cessna 150 Evil or Very Mad

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Last edited by JetPilot on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
neilsenrmf(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

---

edchmiel(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Not having been there, how can you determine whether the aircraft was built
properly and covering did not need replacement? Hours aren't the
determining factor for fabric, age and the elements are. Or maybe the owner
just wanted to recover for peace of mind, experience, different fabric, who
knows? Not having been there, I sure don't.

Ed in JXN
MkII/503
Do not archive.

---

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

confusion in nomenclature>>

Hi Robert,
looks as though you are right. I certainly put `chafing tape` around all the
sharp corners of the airframe before covering and `pinked cut` tape on the
outside before spraying.

Cheers

Pat

--

firebug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

TO JETPILOT: There are always a few like you on every board talking when you should shut up. You do not know what you are talking about. I would hate to fly anything you have built. Yes there are areas under the fabric where you put chafing tape. There are also areas on the surface you put it, sometimes it is refered to as surface tape. Its function on the surface is to keep the fabric from being rubbed through, chafed when it is struck at a high point on the airframe. He had NONE of this, that is a sign of a poorly built plane in my opinion. The high spots are going to be hit period. You put surface or chafing tape on the high spots to double the thickness of the fabric. LOOK at a factory built Cub if you don't believe me. You DO NOT rap chafing tape all the way around the frame of the rudder, horizontal stabilizer, elevator etc and THEN glue the fabric to the chafing tape. The fabric is glued to the structure of the rudder, elevator, horizintal stabilizer etc. He had chafing tape glued all the way around the perimeter of the tail feathers. Can you understand that do I need to draw you a picture? He also did the same thing to the rest of the airframe. What do you fly? I find it hard to believe it is a jet.

rsanoa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Let's don't get ugly. Play nice.
Ray
UltraStar TN
do not archive.

firebug <gcc1964(at)mon-cre.net> wrote:

TO JETPILOT: There are always a few like you on every board talking when you should shut up. You do not know what you are talking about. I would hate to fly anything you have built. Yes there are areas under the fabric where you put chafing tape. There are also areas on the surface you put it, sometimes it is refered to as surface tape. Its function on the surface is to keep the fabric from being rubbed through, chafed when it is struck at a high point on the airframe. He had NONE of this, that is a sign of a poorly built plane in my opinion. The high spots are going to be hit period. You put surface or chafing tape on the high spots to double the thickness of the fabric. LOOK at a factory built Cub if you don't believe me. You DO NOT rap chafing tape all the way around the frame of the rudder, horizontal stabilizer, elevator etc and THEN glue the fabric to the chafing tape. The fabric is glued to the structure of the rudder, elevator, horizintal stabilizer etc. He had chafi!
ng tape glued all the way around the perimeter of the tail feathers. Can you understand that do I need to draw you a picture? He also did the same thing to the rest of the airframe. What do you fly? I find it hard to believe it is a jet.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=6181#6181

---------------------------------
Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

firebug wrote:
I also have a skyraider kit for sale just needs to be covered has 100 hrs on the airframe and 503 DCDI with b box. I don't have the time to finish it. GREAT kit plane.

Firebug,

Your response was very nasty and uncalled for. You advertised an uncovered Skyraider kit in good shape for sale here. Im sure everyones natural question was "why was the covering ripped off ".... I asked you some of the hard questions anyone interested in buying that airplane is going to ask you. So if a buyer asks why the covering was ripped off are you going to tell them to shut up ???

This forum is a place for us to talk about airplanes in a civil and nice way, your post was way out of line...

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S

Last edited by JetPilot on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcm(at)tampabay.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

What he do here is talk about KOLBS and KOLB related areas of interest.

Firebug bought an airplane and for whatever reason took the covering off of
it, I'll bet that he didn't do that because he wanted to destroy an aircraft
that he just bought and paid for.

Jetpilot beat him like a rented mule for his post on the KOLB list. I think
the guy has suffered enough because of this Skyraider business.

Now let's all do what we can to put this ugly affair behind us and help
firebug get the airplane that he should have bought in the first place.

Chris Mallory

do not archive

---

firebug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

Tampabay: I'll bet you are in Tampa Fl. right? i have relatives down there, nice place. Where do you fly out of? And you are right I didn't take the fabric off to destroy the plane for fun. I hated to do that but I like thing to be right especially when my rear end is in it at 5000ft agl. If I can get rid of the Skyraider I will buy a Kolb. I started to buy one in the first place. Whether the Kolb is better than the Raider is a matter of opinon. Most likely you will side with the plane you own. I am sure once I have gotten a Kolb I will be singing it's praises. Any help in getting rid of the Raider and finding a Firestar would be greatly appreciated.

JetPilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a Firestar Reply with quote

wcm(at)tampabay.rr.com wrote:

Jetpilot beat him like a rented mule for his post on the KOLB list. I think
the guy has suffered enough because of this Skyraider business.

Chris Mallory

What difference does it make if Firebug was advertising a Kolb or not ??? I could care less, he adviertised it here, so im more than happy to talk about it in this forum. You are the only one that has vioced a problem with it not being a Kolb on a Kolb list.......

I did ask Firebug the same question any competent buyer would ask... Why rip relitively new covering off an airframe that is in good condition ??? Is Firebug going to verbally assault his potiental buyers if they ask him the same question ?? Given Firebugs response, he is not the kind of person I would ever want to do busienss with.

Michael A. Bigelow

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: