Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures Reply with quote

I'm working on my horizontal stab. I've looked at a couple of design options for making a provision for the attachment of sea fins to the h-stab tip rib.

My first question is in the below picture. I'm concerned if I put a .032 doubler and then later install the actual sea fin (out of .040 ?) whether I'll have enough clearance for elevator travel.

[img]cid:709243301(at)14092006-1657[/img]

My next question involves a the fact that my main stabilizer tip rib is an older version, and I don't have the factory stabilizer hinge doubler. What I propose to do is to in stall 3 channel-type brackets that would each pick up 3 rivets on the top and bottom of the stringers--each as wide as the space between the coke-bottle indentations in my stabilizer tip rib and be flush riveted to the rib. A set of nut plates would also be installed in each of these channel brackets (blue & black in the below picture) for the sea fin attachment.

Then, to reinforce the front and rear tip rib attachment points to the main and rear spar, I'm going to put in short .040 angles like the one big blue area on the right of the picture (I know, graphics isn't my strong suit).

Opinions please?

[img]cid:709243301(at)14092006-165E[/img]

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List

LtipRibOutsideW.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.45 KB
 Viewed:  526 Time(s)

LtipRibOutsideW.jpg

ElevatorTipRibMods.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.98 KB
 Viewed:  546 Time(s)

ElevatorTipRibMods.jpg

ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures Reply with quote

Ted, off the top of my head I would say No, not enough room for a doubler on the outside of the stab rib. The seafins are a lot thicker than .040 and they barely clear the elevator balance arms, any doublers would have to go inside – in my opinion.

The angle front and back sound like a good idea.
Not sure what you mean by not having the stabilizer hinge doubler – is that the stainless steel angle that MAM sent out for the hinge service bulletin? They used to send those out free – it all came with the stuff to fix the outboard wing rear spar aileron hinge bracket too.

Scott

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted Waltman
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:52 PM
To: murphymoose-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures

I'm working on my horizontal stab. I've looked at a couple of design options for making a provision for the attachment of sea fins to the h-stab tip rib.

My first question is in the below picture. I'm concerned if I put a .032 doubler and then later install the actual sea fin (out of .040 ?) whether I'll have enough clearance for elevator travel.

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C6D771.94355FC0[/img]

My next question involves a the fact that my main stabilizer tip rib is an older version, and I don't have the factory stabilizer hinge doubler. What I propose to do is to in stall 3 channel-type brackets that would each pick up 3 rivets on the top and bottom of the stringers--each as wide as the space between the coke-bottle indentations in my stabilizer tip rib and be flush riveted to the rib. A set of nut plates would also be installed in each of these channel brackets (blue & black in the below picture) for the sea fin attachment.

Then, to reinforce the front and rear tip rib attachment points to the main and rear spar, I'm going to put in short .040 angles like the one big blue area on the right of the picture (I know, graphics isn't my strong suit).

Opinions please?

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01C6D771.94355FC0[/img]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  479 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  527 Time(s)

image002.jpg

tedwaltman(at)i1ci.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures Reply with quote

The problem is those coke-can indentations. They effectively prevent me from putting a doubler running the full length of the rib on the inside of the rib. Based on your clearance comments, and my doubler issue above, guess I better get the updated tip ribs from Murphy...along with the stab hinge doubler. Darn... have to set the h-stab aside then.

What about the sturdiness of my sea fin attach channels idea?

Thank you,

Ted

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:17 PM
Subject: RE: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures

Ted, off the top of my head I would say No, not enough room for a doubler on the outside of the stab rib. The seafins are a lot thicker than .040 and they barely clear the elevator balance arms, any doublers would have to go inside – in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean by not having the stabilizer hinge doubler – is that the stainless steel angle that MAM sent out for the hinge service bulletin? They used to send those out free – it all came with the stuff to fix the outboard wing rear spar aileron hinge bracket too.

Scott

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ted Waltman

[img]cid:349452302(at)14092006-16BA[/img]

Opinions please?

[img]cid:349452302(at)14092006-16C1[/img]

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  498 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)

image002.jpg

ScottA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures Reply with quote

I have pretty much what you describe to back up the nut plates – of course un-tested as my floats are not on. Some of my doublers did cover those indentations – I just put rivets where it was flush though.

Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:26 PM
Subject: RE: MurphyMoose-List: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures

The problem is those coke-can indentations. They effectively prevent me from putting a doubler running the full length of the rib on the inside of the rib. Based on your clearance comments, and my doubler issue above, guess I better get the updated tip ribs from Murphy...along with the stab hinge doubler. Darn... have to set the h-stab aside then.

What about the sturdiness of my sea fin attach channels idea?

Thank you,

Ted

From: owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-murphymoose-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Scott Aldrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:17 PM
Subject: RE: MurphyMoose-List: Moose Sea Fin design...2 questions & 2 pictures

Scott

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01C6D773.73EDE820[/img]

Opinions please?

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01C6D773.73EDE820[/img]

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  483 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  486 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: