Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IO-360

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rscott(at)cascadeaccess.c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: IO-360 Reply with quote

Everything Mike Schipper says is right on. Go with an O-320. It has an excellent reputation for reliability, if something does go wrong, every A&P knows how to work on them & installation has all the support you need from Van's. Vibration? Go with a model that uses a dynafocal mount.

Observation: Long time experience does not equate with good judgment. A person could have 50 years practice and gotten really good at doing it wrong. A retired IA making a few extra bucks doing annuals almost ruined my wood prop by wanting to way over torque the bolts. I caught him as he was setting the wrench.

Also, see the RVator a couple issues back for info on the Subaru--it's not worth it. Van's did side by side testing of their Lyc powered plane with a Subie powered plane of the same model. Cost was almost the same as the Lycoming and performance was almost he same, but installation of the Subie takes lots longer.

Re: The Mazda, you're going to take a lot more time to get in the air doing anything other than a Lyc.

Regarding auto gas: You can go with a 150 hp O-320 & use mogas. Some seem to use premium mogas in 160's, but I would want to talk with Bart at Aerosport before deciding to do that.

Remember, KISS? The Lyc. is the simplest installation.

And if you ignore all these folks advice, please let us know how your installation and results work out!

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
rvatornate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: IO-360 Reply with quote

rs scott wrote:
"cost the same as the Lycoming and performance was almost he same, but installation of the Subie takes lots longer. "
It took me a couple of hours to run a return line to the tanks, then 2.5 hours from crate arrival to engine hanging on the firewall. Then next morning it took me slightly over one hour to make the electrical and fuel line hookups, run two fuel lines to a gas can and fire her up. All told, about 5 total hours from crate to running engine. Based on the other engine hanging parties I've been part of (rv6 and rv7a) (o-320 and 0-360) I'd say that the subaru takes no more, in fact, probably takes less time to hang and fire up than the lyco.

Nathan Larson
N217JT RV9E 570+ hours of smooth fun.

- The Matronics RV9-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV9-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV9-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: