Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genie(at)swissmail.org

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

Four years ago my starboard fuel tank leaked. this resulted in the
dripping of fuel. I had the tank sealed from the outside by a company.
It is supposed to be able to withstand Avgas, Mogas and fuel which
contains ethanol. This seemed to have solved the problem. Until late
last year, when I noticed a smell of fuel in the cockpit. I sealed and
tightened all the fuel lines. but this did not help.

Today I noticed that at the lower aft starboard wing root some paint has
flaked off. I am afraid that it has begun to corrode. I was told that
this was caused by a fuel leak. At least this time one cannot see any
dripping. However, I hardly dare fill up the tank. When I filled a lot
of fuel in this tank I had the impression that the smell in the cockpit
got stronger.

Does anyone know what I can do, short term or long term, to solve or at
least reduce this problem? I reckon that the simplest thing would be to
drain this tank and only fly on the port tank. If anyone knows of a
replacement tank perhaps I could remove my tank and install the replacement.

Thanks for your replies.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague, the Netherlands

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

George, I too have had fuel leaks in both of my tanks. You can purchase complete fuel tanks (at least you used to be able to) but you would probably have to buy both. For me was able to remove the tanks and repair them. the one side was just a gasket and the other side was leaking at the forward fuselage bracket mount. I removed the cover and cleaned and then reprosealed all around the bracket inside and out. it took a half to remove the tank then a couple of hours to ascertain, clean and proseal the bracket. we used a vacuum to try to draw proseal into any voids that may have been present. Then I waited a couple days for the proseal to set up. Then we tested and confirmed that it was seal, another hour to install the tank and voila, it has been holding very well in the two years since the repair. For my money that is the route that I would go to have a dependable tank and another couple hours of range. Just my two cents!
Good luck,
Bob

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jay.pearlman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

Have you removed the wing fuselage fairing and looked for leaks there. Do you have aileron boots and other seals between the wings and the cockpit? Maybe you can give us an idea of your configuration?Jay Pearlman
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2015 10:54 AM
Subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

got stronger.

replacement tank perhaps I could remove my tank and install the replacement

genie(at)swissmail.org

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, Jay.

Last time, which was years ago, I removed the wing fuselage fairing. But as I had drained the fuel prior to doing so I did not see any leak. As I discovered today the damages caused presumably by leaking fuel I did not remove the fairing. I do not have aileron boots, just the normal rubber seals and fairings.

My nightmare: leaking fuel may have caused damage to the structure, to the spar or something. This did not happen last time. I was wondering if that could happen this time.

George

On 12/04/2015 20:38, Jay Pearlman wrote:

[quote] Have you removed the wing fuselage fairing and looked for leaks there. Do you have aileron boots and other seals between the wings and the cockpit? Maybe you can give us an idea of your configuration?
Jay Pearlman

From: George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org> (genie(at)swissmail.org)
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com (rv6-list(at)matronics.com)

--> RV6-List message posted by: George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)>

got stronger.

Thanks for your replies.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague,6-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-Listhttp://forums.mat                     &nbs//www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.co==================

Quote:

[b]

genie(at)swissmail.org

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

Bob, thank you very much for your reply.

If you happen to have any pictures of the places or parts which you
repaired I would be grateful if you could send one or two.

George

On 12/04/2015 20:28, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) wrote:
[quote]

George, I too have had fuel leaks in both of my tanks. You can purchase complete fuel tanks (at least you used to be able to) but you would probably have to buy both. For me was able to remove the tanks and repair them. the one side was just a gasket and the other side was leaking at the forward fuselage bracket mount. I removed the cover and cleaned and then reprosealed all around the bracket inside and out. it took a half to remove the tank then a couple of hours to ascertain, clean and proseal the bracket. we used a vacuum to try to draw proseal into any voids that may have been present. Then I waited a couple days for the proseal to set up. Then we tested and confirmed that it was seal, another hour to install the tank and voila, it has been holding very well in the two years since the repair. For my money that is the route that I would go to have a dependable tank and another couple hours of range. Just my two cents!
Good luck,
Bob

--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

George,

You can rest easy with your concerns over fuel damaging structure in the plane; that just won't happen. Water/salt/humidity, yes, but damage from fuel should be limited to paint and trim items (possibly fairings, if you use ethanol laced fuel). Remember, the tank itself is aluminum and is exposed to fuel constantly.

FWIW, I fly a -4 that was built in the early '90s, and it's had fuel leaks several times in both tanks; some bad enough to actually drip fuel while sitting in the hangar. There's never been any permanent damage, except to paint. While it's 'better' to re-seal the tanks on the inside of the tanks, sometimes better is the enemy of good enough. If the leaks are located in areas not visible with the tank mounted and fairings in place, they can often be fixed by careful cleaning of the external surfaces/joints and applying the new sealant over the offending rivet head or seam. I've done this successfully on both of my tanks. Both had leaks at the corners where the end rib, skin, and back baffle converge, and also around the inboard nose attach bracket (angle). By removing every bit of the exposed sealant, cleaning and scouring the areas with acetone/scotchbrite pads, cleaning again, and applying new sealant, I was able to stop all the leaks. Remember, the actual pressure on the external sealant will be incredibly small, as long as it's firmly attached to the aluminum all the way to the pinpoint or 'knife-edge' line of the leak(s). The existing leaks are almost certainly the result of improper cleaning and prepping of the joint prior to applying the sealant when the tank was built or repaired.

Charlie

On 4/12/2015 3:41 PM, George Nielsen wrote:

[quote] Thank you for your reply, Jay.

Last time, which was years ago, I removed the wing fuselage fairing. But as I had drained the fuel prior to doing so I did not see any leak. As I discovered today the damages caused presumably by leaking fuel I did not remove the fairing. I do not have aileron boots, just the normal rubber seals and fairings.

My nightmare: leaking fuel may have caused damage to the structure, to the spar or something. This did not happen last time. I was wondering if that could happen this time.

George

Quote:
Have you removed the wing fuselage fairing and looked for leaks there. Do you have aileron boots and other seals between the wings and the cockpit? Maybe you can give us an idea of your configuration?
Jay Pearlman

--> RV6-List message posted by: George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)>

got stronger.

Thanks for your replies.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague,6-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-Listhttp://forums.mat                     &nbs//www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.co==================

[b]

genie(at)swissmail.org

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

Charlie,

Thank you very much for your reply! At least now I can sleep well.

I asked because I had a leaking fuel tank in my car. This caused damage to the rear A-arm which had to be replaced.

Thank you also for the instructions on how to remedy the problem with the fuel leak.

George

On 12/04/2015 23:21, Charlie England wrote:

[quote] George,

You can rest easy with your concerns over fuel damaging structure in the plane; that just won't happen. Water/salt/humidity, yes, but damage from fuel should be limited to paint and trim items (possibly fairings, if you use ethanol laced fuel). Remember, the tank itself is aluminum and is exposed to fuel constantly.

FWIW, I fly a -4 that was built in the early '90s, and it's had fuel leaks several times in both tanks; some bad enough to actually drip fuel while sitting in the hangar. There's never been any permanent damage, except to paint. While it's 'better' to re-seal the tanks on the inside of the tanks, sometimes better is the enemy of good enough. If the leaks are located in areas not visible with the tank mounted and fairings in place, they can often be fixed by careful cleaning of the external surfaces/joints and applying the new sealant over the offending rivet head or seam. I've done this successfully on both of my tanks. Both had leaks at the corners where the end rib, skin, and back baffle converge, and also around the inboard nose attach bracket (angle). By removing every bit of the exposed sealant, cleaning and scouring the areas with acetone/scotchbrite pads, cleaning again, and applying new sealant, I was able to stop all the leaks. Remember, the actual pressure on the external sealant will be incredibly small, as long as it's firmly attached to the aluminum all the way to the pinpoint or 'knife-edge' line of the leak(s). The existing leaks are almost certainly the result of improper cleaning and prepping of the joint prior to applying the sealant when the tank was built or repaired.

Charlie

Quote:

George

Quote:
Have you removed the wing fuselage fairing and looked for leaks there. Do you have aileron boots and other seals between the wings and the cockpit? Maybe you can give us an idea of your configuration?
Jay Pearlman

got stronger.

Thanks for your replies.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN

[b]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

The problem with your car was probably not the metal parts but any rubber that was associated with the A arm and a lot of cars these days do not offer the parts to repair just a ball joint and mandatorily have you replace the entire assembly instead. As far as your plane is concerned I agree wholeheartedly with Charlie. It is very likely the culprit is the prep for the original assembly of your tank. Most of those problems are, while sometimes a  pain to get at, you should be very able to make repairs, especially if you remove the tank and pressure check to make sure where the leaks are located. One other thing, be sure to use fresh proseal or equivalent. You would hate to put that labor into a project like that and have it leak after! Good luck, Bob

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of George Nielsen
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: RV6-List: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

Charlie,

Thank you very much for your reply! At least now I can sleep well.

I asked because I had a leaking fuel tank in my car. This caused damage to the rear A-arm which had to be replaced.

Thank you also for the instructions on how to remedy the problem with the fuel leak.

George

On 12/04/2015 23:21, Charlie England wrote:
Quote:

George,

Charlie

Quote:

George

Quote:

Jay Pearlman

Subject: RV6-List: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

got stronger.

Thanks for your replies.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN

Quote:

Quote:
  _-============================================================_-=          - The RV6-List Email Forum -_-= Use the Matronics List Features Navigator to browse_-= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription,_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

George I will look and see what I have and get them to you!

--

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

George, I couldn't find any pictures of my own fuel tank problem, but this picture that I got off the net (I hope that is not a problem )illustrates the areas that I had trouble with. The gasket under the access cover leaked (probably because I installed it dry originally) and then the other area which is at the bottom of the picture is where I had the most problem. This is where the bracket to tie the tank to the fuse is installed. i was able to remove the access cover (after removing the tank from the wing) and as Charlie said clean it, scotchbrite it, clean it some more and reproseal. This after you've pressure tested the tank to verify where the leak is. Make sure that you seal the screws that fasten the access cover on the tank as those have been known to leak if not sealed.
Cheers!

--

dsc05436.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.7 KB
 Viewed:  7910 Time(s)

dsc05436.jpg

jay.pearlman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

George,
The newer instructions for the RV say that the cover with the fuel gauge should not have a gasket, but should be pro sealed. The pro sealed cover should bee able to be removed with a heat gun if necessary. I suggest that you look on the vans air force forum. There are many discussions for rising leaks and many are from experience. VAF Forums

VAF ForumsDoug Reeves' VAF Forums - Where fans of Van's Aircraft kitplanes hang out on the web.

View on www.vansairforce.com
Preview by Yahoo

From: "Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk)" <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com>
To: "'rv6-list(at)matronics.com'" <rv6-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 5:24 AM
Subject: RE: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

George, I couldn't find any pictures of my own fuel tank problem, but this picture that I got off the net (I hope that is not a problem )illustrates the areas that I had trouble with. The gasket under the access cover leaked (probably because I installed it dry originally) and then the other area which is at the bottom of the picture is where I had the most problem. This is where the bracket to tie the tank to the fuse is installed. i was able to remove the access cover (after removing the tank from the wing) and as Charlie said clean it, scotchbrite it, clean it some more and reproseal. This after you've pressure tested the tank to verify where the leak is. Make sure that you seal the screws that fasten the access cover on the tank as those have been known to leak if not sealed.
Cheers!

--

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

Good call! Mine was done a number of years ago and I hadn’t paid too much attention to the forums on that front. Thanks for the info for my own gratification.

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jay Pearlman
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: RV6-List: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

George,
The newer instructions for the RV say that the cover with the fuel gauge should not have a gasket, but should be pro sealed. The pro sealed cover should bee able to be removed with a heat gun if necessary. I suggest that you look on the vans air force forum. There are many discussions for rising leaks and many are from experience. VAF Forums<http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php>

[image]<http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php>

VAF Forums<http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php>
Doug Reeves' VAF Forums - Where fans of Van's Aircraft kitplanes hang out on the web.
View on www.vansairforce.com<http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php>

Preview by Yahoo

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 5:24 AM
Subject: RE: RV6-List: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank

Cheers!

--

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Fuel Leak Once More from Starboard Tank Reply with quote

George,

What a can of worms you just opened.  
What was the sealant used?
You can NOT seal a tank from the outside.  
You are, or maybe lucky...  There is a sealant that is NOT available in the USA thanks to our stupid EPA.  But is available over seas.  I am on the road so I do not have access to the spec. But if you look up PRC SEALANTS you will find a list of Mil Spec sealants.  Of course the good one is what is NOT available here in the USA.
It is not MOGAS resistant.
There is also a Automotive/Motorcycle sealant that is MOGAS resistant.  You could seal the tank from the inside with the Mil Spec stuff and then slosh the MOGAS stuff over that.
Barry

On Sunday, April 12, 2015, George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org (genie(at)swissmail.org)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV6-List message posted by: George Nielsen <genie(at)swissmail.org>

Four years ago my starboard fuel tank leaked. this resulted in the dripping of fuel. I had the tank sealed from the outside by a company. It is supposed to be able to withstand Avgas, Mogas and fuel which contains ethanol. This seemed to have solved the problem. Until late last year, when I noticed a smell of fuel in the cockpit. I sealed and tightened all the fuel lines. but this did not help.

Today I noticed that at the lower aft starboard wing root some paint has flaked off. I am afraid that it has begun to corrode. I was told that this was caused by a fuel leak. At least this time one cannot see any dripping. However, I hardly dare fill up the tank. When I filled a lot of fuel in this tank I had the impression that the smell in the cockpit got stronger.

Does anyone know what I can do, short term or long term, to solve or at least reduce this problem? I reckon that the simplest thing would be to drain this tank and only fly on the port tank. If anyone knows of a replacement tank perhaps I could remove my tank and install the replacement.

Thanks for your replies.

George Nielsen
RV-6 PH-XGN
The Hague, the Netherlands

====================================
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
">http://forums.matronics.com
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: