Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday Flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

I particularly wanted to go flying Sunday despite the fact that the temperature was in the mid-90s and we had the usual mid Atlantic Haze hanging over the region. Despite the haze the AWOS at 3W6 was saying the visibility was over 10 miles.
I pulled my Pulsar XP ((390XP)) out of the hanger into the bright morning sun light and looked her over. She is beginning to show her age having taken her first flight 15 years ago. She suffers from hanger rash which manifests its self in the form of a few dings and scrapes here and there. The top rear tip of the rudder is bent over, as is the outer corner of the starboard elevator. The cushions which I upholstered myself no longer do the plane justice. There has been a very slow brake fluid leak in the starboard wheel cylinder that for some reason stopped leaking six months ago. I wish all other problems resolved themselves as easily.

When I was doing the development of techniques to apply Poly Fibers water-based Topcoat I used my plane on which to try the techniques. I didn't have the technique down until I got to my wings which have held up very well. However the fuselage where I was using earlier techniques suffers from cracks in the topcoat and at some point must be repainted. Though the surface of the wings have stood up well there are places on the leading edge of the wings where the topcoat was peeled away during my 325 mile an hour spiral dive episode.

When the bacon saver came loose I couldn't find the hole within the wing that holds the metal tube on which the bacon saver is mounted. And I guess one might expect that something that is 15 years old might have some duct tape on it somewhere and on my pulsar it is keeping the bacon saver in place at the leading edge of the wing.

The Rotax  912 that I paid $8900 for in 1998 still runs great despite the fact that in the intervening 17 years I have not done any of the upgrades that Rotax has tried to sell me. The rubber mounts for the carburetors are the original ones and are still in very good condition. No cracks and the rubber is still supple. But then, I have a technique I use to start  the engine that eliminates the bang at startup.The engine has almost 700 hours on it total and it has been 65 hours since the last oil change. I have not had to add any oil since the change.

The engine started up and ran smoothly so I went out to the end of runway 29er  and  took off. I had intended to cross from the west side of the Chesapeake Bay to the east side and continue on to the Atlantic Ocean on a little sightseeing trip. However I couldn't see across the bay because of the haze so I turned around and went south across the Potomac and headed up toward Fort AP Hill. There the Rappahannock  abuts the restricted area so I turned and headed down the Rappahannock River. It twists and turns around as it heads toward the Chesapeake Bay. This makes for a nice flight trying to match its twists and turns. Close to the point where the river enters the Chesapeake Bay it goes under the restricted area of the Patuxent River Naval Air Base. There I turned north northwest and headed back home.
The engine had continue to run smoothly at 4850 RPM. At this RPM my air speed trues out at the required 135 mph - she is a light sport, you know.,

The trip back across the Potomac River and the landing was uneventful.
390XP is still a thrill to fly even though she is old and beat up like her pilot.

The flight was especially significant for me because of the fact that the flight celebrated my 84th birthday. 
 Bernie Wilder
P.S. Is there anyone regularly flying a Pulsar who is over 84?
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
barrynorman(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Benie, I sure hope I can still fly at 84. Nice little trip report. I know that haze over the bay can be tricky but beautiful area to fly over.
Barry
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 07/20/2015 12:12 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Pulsar Net <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Pulsar-List: Sunday Flight

I particularly wanted to go flying Sunday despite the fact that the temperature was in the mid-90s and we had the usual mid Atlantic Haze hanging over the region. Despite the haze the AWOS at 3W6 was saying the visibility was over 10 miles.
I pulled my Pulsar XP ((390XP)) out of the hanger into the bright morning sun light and looked her over. She is beginning to show her age having taken her first flight 15 years ago. She suffers from hanger rash which manifests its self in the form of a few dings and scrapes here and there. The top rear tip of the rudder is bent over, as is the outer corner of the starboard elevator. The cushions which I upholstered myself no longer do the plane justice. There has been a very slow brake fluid leak in the starboard wheel cylinder that for some reason stopped leaking six months ago. I wish all other problems resolved themselves as easily.

When I was doing the development of techniques to apply Poly Fibers water-based Topcoat I used my plane on which to try the techniques. I didn't have the technique down until I got to my wings which have held up very well. However the fuselage where I was using earlier techniques suffers from cracks in the topcoat and at some point must be repainted. Though the surface of the wings have stood up well there are places on the leading edge of the wings where the topcoat was peeled away during my 325 mile an hour spiral dive episode.

When the bacon saver came loose I couldn't find the hole within the wing that holds the metal tube on which the bacon saver is mounted. And I guess one might expect that something that is 15 years old might have some duct tape on it somewhere and on my pulsar it is keeping the bacon saver in place at the leading edge of the wing.

The Rotax  912 that I paid $8900 for in 1998 still runs great despite the fact that in the intervening 17 years I have not done any of the upgrades that Rotax has tried to sell me. The rubber mounts for the carburetors are the original ones and are still in very good condition. No cracks and the rubber is still supple. But then, I have a technique I use to start  the engine that eliminates the bang at startup.The engine has almost 700 hours on it total and it has been 65 hours since the last oil change. I have not had to add any oil since the change.

The engine started up and ran smoothly so I went out to the end of runway 29er  and  took off. I had intended to cross from the west side of the Chesapeake Bay to the east side and continue on to the Atlantic Ocean on a little sightseeing trip. However I couldn't see across the bay because of the haze so I turned around and went south across the Potomac and headed up toward Fort AP Hill. There the Rappahannock  abuts the restricted area so I turned and headed down the Rappahannock River. It twists and turns around as it heads toward the Chesapeake Bay. This makes for a nice flight trying to match its twists and turns. Close to the point where the river enters the Chesapeake Bay it goes under the restricted area of the Patuxent River Naval Air Base. There I turned north northwest and headed back home.
The engine had continue to run smoothly at 4850 RPM. At this RPM my air speed trues out at the required 135 mph - she is a light sport, you know.,

390XP is still a thrill to fly even though she is old and beat up like her pilot.

The flight was especially significant for me because of the fact that the flight celebrated my 84th birthday. 
 Bernie Wilder
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dennistubbs7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Thank you Bernie, for posting this simple but enjoyable account. I enjoyed it a lot on several levels... as a current owner of a Rotax 912ULS (in Titan Tornado II-s) and as someone who is very intrigued by the Pulsar design and as a fellow pilot. Rock On Fellow Pilot!Dennis
On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com (bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]I particularly wanted to go flying Sunday despite the fact that the temperature was in the mid-90s and we had the usual mid Atlantic Haze hanging over the region. Despite the haze the AWOS at 3W6 was saying the visibility was over 10 miles.

Bernie Wilder
Quote:

arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

gregsmi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Bernie, what a way to celebrate. Saturday, I attended my high school class birthday party, we turn 70 this year. I just got my Pulsar airborne again, after taking it down almost two years ago. I rebuilt main gear and did other maintenance items, she has 1500 hours and is showing her age.

I did some taxi test and all seemed well so headed down the runway and the magic came back, there is nothing to compare to flying this plane, I hope I can continue to enjoy it into my eighties.

Be safe and enjoy.

Greg

PS. Leaving for Oshkosh this week, are you going?

In a message dated 7/20/2015 11:14:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time, bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:

The Rotax 912 that I paid $8900 for in 1998 still runs great despite the fact that in the intervening 17 years I have not done any of the upgrades that Rotax has tried to sell me. The rubber mounts for the carburetors are the original ones and are still in very good condition. No cracks and the rubber is still supple. But then, I have a technique I use to start the engine that eliminates the bang at startup.The engine has almost 700 hours on it total and it has been 65 hours since the last oil change. I have not had to add any oil since the change.

The engine started up and ran smoothly so I went out to the end of runway 29er and took off. I had intended to cross from the west side of the Chesapeake Bay to the east side and continue on to the Atlantic Ocean on a little sightseeing trip. However I couldn't see across the bay because of the haze so I turned around and went south across the Potomac and headed up toward Fort AP Hill. There the Rappahannock abuts the restricted area so I turned and headed down the Rappahannock River. It twists and turns around as it heads toward the Chesapeake Bay. This makes for a nice flight trying to match its twists and turns. Close to the point where the river enters the Chesapeake Bay it goes under the restricted area of the Patuxent River Naval Air Base. There I turned north northwest and headed back home.

The engine had continue to run smoothly at 4850 RPM. At this RPM my air speed trues out at the required 135 mph - she is a light sport, you know.,

Bernie Wilder

Quote:

====================================
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List">http://www.matron====================================
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

briana(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,
Nice story.
When we met at the reunion in Lawrence in 2002 I thought we may have been about the same age. Our Pulsars are certainly the same age, as are our engines. But no, I have a few years to go to catch up to you yet, but I still expect to be flying at 84.
I remember well your experience, testing the ultimate strength of the XP. We were all amazed that the wings didn't depart, but grateful that you were able to describe the experience for us.
My Pulsar has just over 500 hours. During that time I've flown a number of other different types, but nothing can compare to the speed, economy, and overall brilliant handling of the Pulsar.
I've had CFIs in awe over the performance when doing my BFR. One was amazed at the climb rate. It was a good cool day and we were climbing at 1200 ft/min. Another was amazed at the glide performance. I nominated a target area after a simulated EFATO. The instructor thought there was no way we would get there.
Well done Bernie, and Happy 84 th.
Brian

On 20/07/2015, at 6:12 pm, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com (bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]I particularly wanted to go flying Sunday despite the fact that the temperature was in the mid-90s and we had the usual mid Atlantic Haze hanging over the region. Despite the haze the AWOS at 3W6 was saying the visibility was over 10 miles.

The Rotax 912 that I paid $8900 for in 1998 still runs great despite the fact that in the intervening 17 years I have not done any of the upgrades that Rotax has tried to sell me. The rubber mounts for the carburetors are the original ones and are still in very good condition. No cracks and the rubber is still supple. But then, I have a technique I use to start the engine that eliminates the bang at startup.The engine has almost 700 hours on it total and it has been 65 hours since the last oil change. I have not had to add any oil since the change.

The engine started up and ran smoothly so I went out to the end of runway 29er and took off. I had intended to cross from the west side of the Chesapeake Bay to the east side and continue on to the Atlantic Ocean on a little sightseeing trip. However I couldn't see across the bay because of the haze so I turned around and went south across the Potomac and headed up toward Fort AP Hill. There the Rappahannock abuts the restricted area so I turned and headed down the Rappahannock River. It twists and turns around as it heads toward the Chesapeake Bay. This makes for a nice flight trying to match its twists and turns. Close to the point where the river enters the Chesapeake Bay it goes under the restricted area of the Patuxent River Naval Air Base. There I turned north northwest and headed back home.
The engine had continue to run smoothly at 4850 RPM. At this RPM my air speed trues out at the required 135 mph - she is a light sport, you know.,

Bernie Wilder
Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
r-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
//forums.matronics.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

cking(at)lifesize.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Well done. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the flight report & am reminded once again of all the people that I’ve met through this group.

Casey

On Jul 20, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com<mailto:bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

The engine had continue to run smoothly at 4850 RPM. At this RPM my air speed trues out at the required 135 mph - she is a light sport, you know.,

Bernie Wilder

ghf4986(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Good for you Bernie, Happy Birthday!
Dennis Adams

Sent from an IPad 

On Jul 20, 2015, at 10:16 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com (bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bernie Wilder
[quote]

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ar-List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
://forums.matronics.com
uot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

rickyd54(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Bernie! Nice write up. I sure hope I get to celebrate my 84th exactly as you did.
Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com (bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

The engine had continue to run smoothly at 4850 RPM. At this RPM my air speed trues out at the required 135 mph - she is a light sport, you know.,

Bernie Wilder
Quote:

//forums.matronics.com

[b]

pilot623(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Bernie,

Nice story and what a great reason to go up. My flight regime has changed such that my Hobbs may soon catch up with my number of landings. When we start, there are multiple landings per hour but these days, I'm seeing about 4 hours flight time per landing. Makes the tires last a lot longer. Thanks for sharing your birthday flight story and may it be repeated every year for many more.

Jim
N623JF
722 hours and 831 landings

[quote] From: owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pulsar-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bernard Wilder
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 10:12 AM
To: Pulsar Net
Subject: Sunday Flight

Bernie Wilder

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

mjb777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your latest adventure and just like everyone else, I too hope to be able to still fly at 84! wow!

Could you please outline your starting technique that you mentioned?

Congrats and regards,

Matt.

bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Matt,

When the engine is cold I pull the throttle all the way out.  I don't pull the enricher all the way out. With a quarter inch left to full out I turn the engine over and then slowly pull the enricher the rest of the way out.  Starts slowly about 75% of the time.

When the engine is warm, or hot, the enricher is all the way in and the throttle all the way out. I turn the engine over and then slowly advance the throttle. Sometimes the engine starts without advancing the throttle. Depends on the RPM your engine turns at full idle.

Good luck.

Bernie Wilder
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM, mjb777 <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Pulsar-List message posted by: "mjb777" <mattbrock777(at)gmail.com (mattbrock777(at)gmail.com)>

Thanks for sharing your latest adventure and just like everyone else, I too hope to be able to still fly at 84! wow!

Could you please outline your starting technique that you mentioned?

Congrats and regards,

Matt.

--------
Pulsar 1 TD Kit.
Captain B777.
Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445006#445006

===========
ar-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

TomisFlyingby(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

What?.......I thought you were 84 already Ricky! Ha.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 20, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Rick Thomason <rickyd54(at)gmail.com (rickyd54(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Happy Birthday Bernie! Nice write up. I sure hope I get to celebrate my 84th exactly as you did.
Rick

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com (bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Bernie Wilder
Quote:

//forums.matronics.com

//forums.matronics.com

[b]

rickyd54(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Tom, not yet but it appears that I will be by the time you finish your plane. Smile come on Tom it is not that difficult...........
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:32 AM, Tom Gibbons <TomisFlyingby(at)comcast.net (TomisFlyingby(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
[quote]What?.......I thought you were 84 already Ricky! Ha.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 20, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Rick Thomason <rickyd54(at)gmail.com (rickyd54(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Happy Birthday Bernie! Nice write up. I sure hope I get to celebrate my 84th exactly as you did.
Rick

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Bernie Wilder
Quote:

//forums.matronics.com

//forums.matronics.com

//forums.matronics.com

[b]

TomisFlyingby(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

Kinda knew that was coming......Ha.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 21, 2015, at 9:25 PM, Rick Thomason <rickyd54(at)gmail.com (rickyd54(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]Tom, not yet but it appears that I will be by the time you finish your plane. Smile come on Tom it is not that difficult...........
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2015, at 10:32 AM, Tom Gibbons <TomisFlyingby(at)comcast.net (TomisFlyingby(at)comcast.net)> wrote:
Quote:
What?.......I thought you were 84 already Ricky! Ha.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
Rick

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Bernie Wilder
Quote:

//forums.matronics.com

//forums.matronics.com

//forums.matronics.com

//forums.matronics.com

[b]

MyronTruex(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Sunday Flight Reply with quote

I have been a dummy. We are traveling the East coast and just didn't think about visiting any of our Pulsar friends. I'm still a Left Coast brain person. We are currently in Vermont and heading to Niagara Falls tomorrow. It will take a couple of days to get there.

If any of our friends are in the Maine to Florida region I would love to visit and maybe bum a joy ride. Getting to see my little bird, (compliments of Greg Smith), was amazing. Watching my grandson get a ride in Ricks Pulsar was heart warming. Jordan was a tiny kid when I was building mine. I have a picture of him walking inside the fuselage and carrying a screwdriver.

We are traveling all over the East coast doing the genealogy thing. One of the stops along the way will be in Williamsport for the Little League World Series. We will spend a couple of weeks there.

If you can't fly, take the slow road and enjoy the sights.

Myron Truex

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 4:00 PM
To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com (pulsar-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Sunday Flight

Well done. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the flight report & am reminded once again of all the people that I’ve met through this group.

Casey

Quote:

Bernie Wilder

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List">http://www.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

���~���,�g(���M�Gq�z�� [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: