Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdleonard(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

FWIW, I installed a tailwheel and it seemed to prevent all my
nosewheel shimmy problems.

Smile Sorry, couldnt resist...

Dave Leonard

On 8/13/15, FLYaDIVE <flyadive(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote] Correct! Balancing of the wheel pant is not required.
Correct the tension on the axel and the fork and shimmy and vibration will
disappear.
But, just to muddy the waters... A little...
For speed reasions, the length, trailing end of a structure should be 7
times the width. Example: If the widest part of a wheel pant is 6" than
the taper should be (6 x 7 = 42) ... 42" back from that point. Well, you
can see it is not very practical to have wheel pants that long. Of course
this 7 factor is for the perfect translation. Which is not very practical.
Part two: Keeping mud, dirt, water, snow AND air out of the aft end of a
wheel pant will eliminate out of ballance conditions and give more speed.
These are known as Pressure Recovery Pants. The easiest way i know to do
this is to reduce the volume of the wheel pant. This is done by blocking
off the forward and aft areas of the pant and keeping the area around the
tire small.

Using the above information, use either fiberglass or rubber on the
backside of the nose strut to reduce the drag.

Another side note: A round object in an air stream has TWICE the drag as a
square object of the same frontal area.

Barry

On Thursday, August 13, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <
BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the explanation. Just to be clear, it is not necessary to
> “balance” the nose wheel pant?
>
> *From:* owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com');>
> [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com');>]
> *On
> Behalf Of *FLYaDIVE
> *Sent:* Thursday, August 13, 2015 11:29 AM
> *To:* rv6-list(at)matronics.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','rv6-list(at)matronics.com');>
> *Subject:* Re: Re: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy
>
> Ralph & Flock,
>
> The shimmy is not caused by the wheel pant. I'm sorry that I missed the
> origional post, the issue is vert easy to fix, here are the steps and
> why:
>
> Their are two types of shimmy...
>
> a) The wheel spins freely on the axel. A free spinning wheel will have
> a
> shimmy/vibration that continues after the nose wheel is lifted off the
> ground. The FIX is to tighten the nut on the axel so when you spin the
> tire with moderate hand force you get ONLY one revolution of the tire.
>
> b) Nose fork shimmy, this is caused when the castle nut on the bottom of
> the nose wheel fork is too loose. This shimmy will disappear as soon as
> the nose wheel is lifted off the ground. So, how tight should it be?
> Enough to require 20 to 25 pounds of pull AT THE AXEL to move the fork.
> How do you measure this force? Use a simple Fish Scale. To get this
> torque you should have 4 ea, cup washers under the nut... 2 facing down
> and 2 facing up, example: (( )). Grease the nose fork spindle and the
> washers. Any "extream pressure" marine grease will work fine.
>
> Ralph, sorry you added extra weight to your plane, especially at the
> nose. Their is no up & down pivoting of the nose pant as it is secured
> at
> two points: 1- The axel. 2- Where the nose strut passes through the
> pant.
> You did seal up the hole with a rubber gasket that cuts down on drag and
> keeps rain and snow out?
>
> On a side note: The RV is based on a Grumman AA5x design. Grumman went
> through this same problem and they added weight to the nose of the pant
> also. It took them a few years to learn how to fix the problem.
>
> Barry
>
> Grumman AA5 and RV6/A pilot
>
> On Thursday, August 13, 2015, Ralph E. Capen <recapen(at)earthlink.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','recapen(at)earthlink.net');>> wrote:
>
>
> To multiple requestors,
>
> Here's what I did to balance the nosewheel pant...:
>
> Using the nosewheel axel holes in the wheel pant as the balance point, I
> determined approximately how much weight was required to balance.
> Essentially, lead shot in a ziplock bag taped to the front of the
> nosewheel pant 'cone'. I actually used a little less than what was in
> the
> bag as there was epoxy to bind it inside the 'cone'. Roughed up the
> inside
> of the 'cone' with sandpaper, mixed a small batch of epoxy, poured the
> lead
> shot in to the epoxy and stirred it up well. The epoxy/shot mixture was
> then poured in to the 'cone' and covered with two layers of BID glass
> cloth. When that cured, I re-tested the balance (which came out almost
> perfect so I left it) and reinstalled.
>
> Ralph Capen
>
>
> --

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

Now that's funny!

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

posterman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

Barry Check 6 has it exactly right. I check my 'breakout force' at each condition inspection and keep it at around 20lbs. I've not had any shimmy on almost 500 hours.

recapen(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

I had 190 hours when I replaced the nosegear brackets and balanced the nosewheel pant.
I have about 260 on it now....another couple hundred will tell the tale - I think that's what you were really asking.....

--

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

Yea. I have some wheel shimmy in my six. But I hadn’t checked the stiffness of the nose wheel fork. I will do that at the earliest convenience. When I land I always pull the stick back in my gut and negates most if not all of it.

--

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

Bob,

You hit one of the main causes right on the head.  Taildragers don't have this problem because they know failure to keep the nose up can cause a prop strike.  YA GOTS TO KEEP THE NOSE UP!   Land by not letting the nose wheel land.  Shimmy is the least of the problems if one develops the bad habit of plopping the plane onto the ground, things that will happen are:  Damage to the fiberglass nose strut fairing, Damage to the wheel pant, Damage to the nose strut, Damage to the mounting point, Damage to the strut itself, Damage to the prop, followed by Damage to the engine when poor habits develops into porpoiseing.  
Hey, ya want ta LQQK cool.  Keep the nose UP!
Barry

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com (BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV6-List message posted by: "Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk)" <[url=javascript:;]BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com[/url]>

Yea. I have some wheel shimmy in my six. But I hadn’t checked the stiffness of the nose wheel fork. I will do that at the earliest convenience. When I land I always pull the stick back in my gut and negates most if not all of it.

--

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

A few years i bought a porpoised RV-6A that the pilot quit flying after the wheels touched down. After the third bounce the nose gear rolled under and took out the prop. It kept running but I tore down the engine and had all the parts inspected and recertified. It’s repaired and out flying and the new owner is still carrying the RV grin. It was a shame that the pilot just didn’t take actions to smooth out the rollout and save his airplane.

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 7:32 AM
To: rv6-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV6-List: Re: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy

Bob,

You hit one of the main causes right on the head. Taildragers don't have this problem because they know failure to keep the nose upcan cause a prop strike. YA GOTS TO KEEP THE NOSE UP! Land by not letting the nose wheel land. Shimmy is the least of the problems if one develops the bad habit of plopping the plane onto the ground, thingsthat will happen are: Damage to the fiberglass nose strutfairing, Damage to the wheel pant,Damage to the nose strut, Damage to themounting point, Damage tothe strut itself, Damage to the prop, followed by Damage to the engine when poor habits develops into porpoiseing.

Hey, ya want ta LQQK cool. Keep the nose UP!

Barry

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com (BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com)> wrote: [quote]
--> RV6-List message posted by: "Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk)" <[url=javascript:;]BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com[/url]>

--

BARRY CHECK 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

Right you are Bob,

You can't fly an RV like a Cessna, or. Piper...  But who the hell would want to!
Their are reasons why the elevator has so much throw build into it.
Barry 
"Check 6"
On Friday, August 14, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com (BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com)> wrote:
[quote]
A few years i bought a porpoised RV-6A that the pilot quit flying after the wheels touched down. After the third bounce the nose gear rolled under and took out the prop. It kept running but I tore down the engine and had all the parts inspected and recertified. It’s repaired and out flying and the new owner is still carrying the RV grin. It was a shame that the pilot just didn’t take actions to smooth out the rollout and save his airplane.

From: [url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com');]owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com[/url] [mailto:[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com');]owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com[/url]] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
To: [url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','rv6-list(at)matronics.com');]rv6-list(at)matronics.com[/url]
Subject: Re: Re: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy

Bob,

You hit one of the main causes right on the head.  Taildragers don't have this problem because they know failure to keep the nose up can cause a prop strike.  YA GOTS TO KEEP THE NOSE UP!   Land by not letting the nose wheel land.  Shimmy is the least of the problems if one develops the bad habit of plopping the plane onto the ground, things that will happen are:  Damage to the fiberglass nose strut fairing, Damage to the wheel pant, Damage to the nose strut, Damage to the mounting point, Damage to the strut itself, Damage to the prop, followed by Damage to the engine when poor habits develops into porpoiseing.  

Hey, ya want ta LQQK cool.  Keep the nose UP!

Barry

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com');]BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com[/url]> wrote: [quote]
--> RV6-List message posted by: "Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk)" <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com>

--

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

It’s really hard to go backwards to fly the aircraft that we all trained in after flying a “real” airplane

From: owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 8:37 AM

Right you are Bob,

You can't fly an RV like aCessna, or. Piper... But who the hell would want to!

Their are reasons why the elevator has so much throw build into it.

Barry

"Check 6"

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com (BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com)> wrote: [quote]

From: [url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com\');] owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com[/url] [mailto:[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com\');]owner-rv6-list-server(at)matronics.com[/url]] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
To: [url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'rv6-list(at)matronics.com\');] rv6-list(at)matronics.com[/url]

Bob,

You hit one of the main causes right on the head. Taildragers don't have this problem because they know failure to keep the nose upcan cause a prop strike. YA GOTS TO KEEP THE NOSE UP! Land by not letting the nose wheel land. Shimmy is the least of the problems if one develops the bad habit of plopping the plane onto the ground, thingsthat will happen are: Damage to the fiberglass nose strutfairing, Damage to the wheel pant,Damage to the nose strut, Damage to themounting point, Damage tothe strut itself, Damage to the prop, followed by Damage to the engine when poor habits develops into porpoiseing.

Hey, ya want ta LQQK cool. Keep the nose UP!

Barry

On Friday, August 14, 2015, Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk) <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,\'cvml\',\'BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com\');]BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com[/url]> wrote: [quote]
--> RV6-List message posted by: "Schroeder, Bob (Parts Clerk)" <BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com (BSchroeder(at)rideuta.com)>

--

jay.pearlman(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

Just a thought. Anti-splat aero balances nose wheels and also has a bearing replacement that is quite impressive. I had the conversion done for my RV 6A and have had no issues. I am also thinking of replacing the belleville washers. I will do that in the next two weeks and see what happens.

Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2015 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: RV-6A Nose Wheel Shimmy

--> RV6-List message posted by: "posterman" <plo(at)shasta.com (plo(at)shasta.com)>

Barry Check 6 has it exactly right. I check my 'breakout force' at each condition inspection and keep it at around 20lbs. I've not had any shimmy on almost 500 hours.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445910#4459========================http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List<; http://forums.sp; - List Contribution Web Site -
_; &nb://www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.c===================

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: