Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to Choose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broberts103

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Time to Choose Reply with quote

Quote:

After a long delay to assess the real world success of the structural improvements made on the design, my 601 xlb project is reaching the point that I need to commit on an engine. I have always been planning to go with a jab 3300.
I would like to know owners recent impressions of the engine and specifically :
- high cht's in the zenith 601
- top end rework required at less than 1000 hours rather than the advertised 2000
- improvements that may have been recently implemented
- thoughts on the bing carb

Quote:
- thoughts about Jabiru USA
- any other pros or cons that I should be aware of

Thanks very much in advance,
Bill

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

mhubel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Time to Choose Reply with quote

Bill,
    I had a 3300 in my 601XLB and finally gave up when the through bold issue came up. The engine idea is nice but there are many details that are problematic. There seems to be a bit of luck in getting good CHTs. There is very little tolerance for a high CHT, nothing like the small Lycomings which we use in production planes. They don't even typically have a CHT monitor as it is very hard to harm them. I had a Rotac carb and that helped a lot but there is still a fundamental design error in the intake plenum. I know there are many very happy users of the 3300 but you should expect to have to give a lot of TLC.
    I now have a Viking engine. The engine itself seems to be indestructible (it is really a Honda) and the gearbox seems to be well behaved but I have replaced almost everything else so I would have a hard time recommending it in stock form.
    If you are still a short time away from delivery (6 months??) you might look into the Superior Gemini. While it is new to the market, it is being made by a very well respected manufacturer. If you do want to go with the 3300, I would consider the Camit version.

On 09/14/2015 9:11 AM, Bill Roberts wrote:

[quote]
Quote:
--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: Bill Roberts <broberts103(at)gvtc.com> (broberts103(at)gvtc.com)
Quote:

After a long delay to assess the real world success of the structural improvements made on the design, my 601 xlb project is reaching the point that I need to commit on an engine. I have always been planning to go with a jab 3300.
I would like to know owners recent impressions of the engine and specifically :
- high cht's in the zenith 601
- top end rework required at less than 1000 hours rather than the advertised 2000
- improvements that may have been recently implemented
- thoughts on the bing carb
Quote:
- thoughts about Jabiru USA
- any other pros or cons that I should be aware of

Thanks very much in advance,
Bill

--
Mark Hubelbank
NorthEast Monitoring
141 Parker St
Suite 111
Maynard, MA, 01754 - USA
mhubel(at)nemon.com (mhubel(at)nemon.com)
978-443-3955[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com
chris Sinfield

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Time to Choose Reply with quote

with the value of the Australian $ I would go for the cammit engine.. Just like a 3300 only better..
Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: