Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idea or..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efraim.otero(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Idea or.. Reply with quote

Dear all:

I was thinking of supercharging my O200 by attaching some sort of impeller to the vacuum pump accessory pad. This would compress air and have it piped to the carburetor.
Does this sound too far fetched and too much of a brain far…??

Reason for this is that I live 8,535 feet up in the South American Andes mountains. Density altitudes go up as high as 10,400 feet and temps as high as about 20 degrees C.

Any thoughts?

- The Matronics Continental-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Continental-List
rocketerf1(at)yahoo.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Idea or.. Reply with quote

I like the idea,but... I bet it is far more work than that. Most carbs aren't designed to work under pressure. At the least I would think you would need a carb and intake piping change.
Why not turbo it and have free power instead of robbing power from the engine to power a blower?
Jeff

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, at 3:02 PM, Efraim Otero Leongomez <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all:

I was thinking of supercharging my O200 by attaching some sort of impeller to the vacuum pump accessory pad. This would compress air and have it piped to the carburetor.

Reason for this is that I live 8,535 feet up in the South American Andes mountains. Density altitudes go up as high as 10,400 feet and temps as high as about 20 degrees C.

Any thoughts?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jarra29(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Idea or.. Reply with quote

That sounds no good..
Change the engine instead, just try to get the proper STC to install a Lycoming O-320 (150 HP)

Hernán Antonio Padilla
Técnico de Aviación
(504) 3237-7799
La Ceiba, Atlántida
Honduras

Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, at 15:02, Efraim Otero Leongomez <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all:

Any thoughts?

ngeorge(at)continentalmot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Idea or.. Reply with quote

Bad idea.

If you really need more power, you need a different engine. You didn't say which aircraft or other pertinent details...

Consider the 125-Hp IO-240. I'd have to check the blueprints to confirm, but I believe it's the same footprint, same engine mount pattern, and only a few extra pounds. Being a cross-flow engine, it's a little taller from crank-center to top of the intake plenum - about 3 inches or so.

Neal George
Continental Motors Tech Support
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Oct 22, 2015, at 4:03 PM, Efraim Otero Leongomez <efraim.otero(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all:

Does this sound too far fetched and too much of a brain far??

Any thoughts?

efraim.otero(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Idea or.. Reply with quote

Hey Guys thanks for all the input.

Firstly, I have the O200 installed on a Fisher Celebrity experimental biplane. I leved before in San Pedro Sula Honduras so the response from Hernan in La Ceiba was interesting… there, DA went to about 3,000 feet at very high 38 degrees close to midday. There are some videos to check out if you want on you tube.
Believe it is "Fisher Celebrity biplane Flying in San Pedro Sula”.

I have now been sent to Bogotá Colombia, South America. So, even though here I have available about 6,000 feet of runway I am wondering about the performance issue.
I thought about a turbo, but the exhaust stacks exit out of the cowl. I would have to pipe them together add a waste gate (even a manually controlled one seem complicated) Then, pipe back to the carb (or throttle body injector)…

As far as a more powerful IO-240 that would be ideal I guess, but then $$ becomes an issue. I do not believe there are many used ones up for sale.
I will test fly with the O200 (from a sea level town) and climb up to see if I can reach the certified ceiling of 12,750 by leaning for best power over 5k.
Then I will test fly out of Bogotá and see how taxi tests go…
E. Otero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Continental-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: