Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Root Heavy Channel and Doubler Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdelano(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Rear Root Heavy Channel and Doubler Failure Reply with quote

Hi all,

I came across this video showing a helicopter company in Alaska salvaging a CH-701. It appears it got bogged down on landing or take off, the gear eventually failed and the heavy channel complete with doubler pulled out of the wings. Of course the crash has put unusual forces on the rear wing root but none the less this failure is concerning particularly since I see on the 750 this area has been beefed up significantly with angle doublers which carry through quite far out on the wing, as well as the root doubler.

Does anyone know more about this crash, seen other failures similar to this one and/or considered or have beefed up this area.

Regards,

Perry
Tanalian Aviation - Zenith Airplane Crash Recovery - Helicopter Sling Out - YouTube
[img]cid:42C2A930-E805-4C2B-9D42-F3F556EF61F4(at)Home[/img]

[img]cid:2B436CB4-29A7-4B1E-8799-7C42E6F99AA0(at)Home[/img]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

Screen_Shot_2016-02-01_at_12.22.00_PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  813.57 KB
 Viewed:  3920 Time(s)

Screen_Shot_2016-02-01_at_12.22.00_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2016-02-01_at_12.23.42_PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  253.75 KB
 Viewed:  3920 Time(s)

Screen_Shot_2016-02-01_at_12.23.42_PM.png

graeme(at)coletoolcentre.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Rear Root Heavy Channel and Doubler Failure Reply with quote

Hi Perry

This aircraft has crashed heavily the fuselage has a massive twist.
I would be interested to know the cause of the crash.
Due to the flat terrain I would think an uncontrolled  crash, Maybe a stall on take off with not enough air speed to recover before hitting the ground hard.
It looks like the cockpit area survived intact and I would guess the people survived .

As you say The attach points were beefed up on all newer plans but I doubt that would have helped in this crash.

Thanks

Graemecns

On 3/02/2016 1:54 AM, Perry Delano wrote:

Quote:
Hi all,

I came across this video showing a helicopter company in Alaska salvaging a CH-701. It appears it got bogged down on landing or take off, the gear eventually failed and the heavy channel complete with doubler pulled out of the wings. Of course the crash has put unusual forces on the rear wing root but none the less this failure is concerning particularly since I see on the 750 this area has been beefed up significantly with angle doublers which carry through quite far out on the wing, as well as the root doubler. 

Does anyone know more about this crash, seen other failures similar to this one and/or considered or have beefed up this area.

Regards,

Perry

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

billarmstrong10(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Rear Root Heavy Channel and Doubler Failure Reply with quote

NTSB Identification: ANC14LA065
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, August 18, 2014 in Nikiski, AK
Probable Cause Approval Date: 02/11/2015
Aircraft: TERRY W. THAYER ZENITH STOL CH701, registration: N957TT
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.
The pilot reported that he was departing from a remote, off-airport site in an experimental amateur-built airplane. He stated that just after takeoff, as the airplane reached about 50 feet above ground level, the engine lost all power. The pilot then attempted to land the airplane near the departure end of the site, but, with insufficient airspeed or altitude to transition to a landing attitude, the airplane landed hard and sustained substantial damage to the wings and fuselage. According to the pilot, he had turned the airplane’s fuel valves to the “off” position after the previous landing, and he failed to move the fuel valves into the “on” position before departure. He also noted that he did not use the preflight checklist. The pilot stated that there were no preaccident mechanical anomalies with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows: The pilot’s improper positioning of the fuel selector valves, which resulted in a loss of engine power due to fuel starvation. Contributing to the accident was the pilot’s failure to follow preflight checklists.
On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Graeme <graeme(at)coletoolcentre.com.au (graeme(at)coletoolcentre.com.au)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Perry

This aircraft has crashed heavily the fuselage has a massive twist.
I would be interested to know the cause of the crash.
Due to the flat terrain I would think an uncontrolled  crash, Maybe a stall on take off with not enough air speed to recover before hitting the ground hard.
It looks like the cockpit area survived intact and I would guess the people survived .

As you say The attach points were beefed up on all newer plans but I doubt that would have helped in this crash.

Thanks

Graemecns

On 3/02/2016 1:54 AM, Perry Delano wrote:

Quote:
Hi all,

Regards,

Perry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: