Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gasket sealers and such

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.n

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Gasket sealers and such Reply with quote

Lycoming Engine Guys,

I am at the stage of my RV-10 construction where I need to hook up the XIO-540-D4A5 I bought through Vans. I'm pretty sure I know, or can look up, how to install fittings. I am hoping Vans' installation instructions are sufficiently complete. However, I'm pretty clueless about what kind of sealants and/or lubricants to put on gaskets and such.

I would appreciate any advice I can get on what to use and any wisdom on how to install any tricky items. Also, should I really expect Vans' instruction to be complete enough?

Thanks in advance.
Nick Gautier

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics LycomingEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?LycomingEngines-List
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Gasket sealers and such Reply with quote

Based on you taking a new engine out of the crate and bolting it to the engine mounts you don't have much to do. So a short list:
- for pipe fittings for oil and fuel, use a Teflon pipe thread sealant like Permatix part number 80631. Keep the sealant away from the end and first thread of the fitting.
- for exhaust gaskets they go on dry. Use SS lock washers under the nuts.
- for the governor and throttle body and similar gaskets either put the gaskets on dry or use a small amount of Tite Seal: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=TITE+SEAL&x=0&y=0
- no sealant for AN hose fittings.
- Use a high temp anti-seize compound on the exhaust ball joint. Work it in before you mount the exhaust. Wear gloves as this stuff is hard to get off your hands.

Such issues are common to all aircraft - and not specific to an RV so Van's appropriately does not try to cover all such details.

Carl
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2016, at 4:28 PM, Gautier, Thomas N (3262) <thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

Lycoming Engine Guys,

I am at the stage of my RV-10 construction where I need to hook up the XIO-540-D4A5 I bought through Vans. I'm pretty sure I know, or can look up, how to install fittings. I am hoping Vans' installation instructions are sufficiently complete. However, I'm pretty clueless about what kind of sealants and/or lubricants to put on gaskets and such.

I would appreciate any advice I can get on what to use and any wisdom on how to install any tricky items. Also, should I really expect Vans' instruction to be complete enough?

Thanks in advance.
Nick Gautier

Sent from my iPhone

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.n

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Gasket sealers and such Reply with quote

Thanks, Carl.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

Time: 02:12:19 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Gasket sealers and such

Based on you taking a new engine out of the crate and bolting it to the engine
mounts you don't have much to do. So a short list:
- for pipe fittings for oil and fuel, use a Teflon pipe thread sealant like Permatix
part number 80631. Keep the sealant away from the end and first thread
of the fitting.
- for exhaust gaskets they go on dry. Use SS lock washers under the nuts.
- for the governor and throttle body and similar gaskets either put the gaskets on dry or use a small amount of Tite Seal: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=TITE+SEAL&x=0&y=0
- no sealant for AN hose fittings.
- Use a high temp anti-seize compound on the exhaust ball joint. Work it in before
you mount the exhaust. Wear gloves as this stuff is hard to get off your
hands.

Such issues are common to all aircraft - and not specific to an RV so Van's appropriately
does not try to cover all such details.

Carl

>> On Feb 3, 2016, at 4:28 PM, Gautier, Thomas N (3262) <thomas.n.gautier(at)jpl.nasa.gov>
> wrote:
>
>
> Lycoming Engine Guys,
>
> I am at the stage of my RV-10 construction where I need to hook up the XIO-540-D4A5
I bought through Vans. I'm pretty sure I know, or can look up, how to
install fittings. I am hoping Vans' installation instructions are sufficiently
complete. However, I'm pretty clueless about what kind of sealants and/or lubricants
to put on gaskets and such.
>
> I would appreciate any advice I can get on what to use and any wisdom on how
to install any tricky items. Also, should I really expect Vans' instruction
to be complete enough?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Nick Gautier
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> LycomingEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: