Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Might have discovered why rudder trim suddenly changed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mppalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Might have discovered why rudder trim suddenly changed Reply with quote

A few months ago (maybe a year ago?) I asked if anyone had any ideas why our rudder trim (fixed trim tab) suddenly changed.

Well, I might have tripped on the problem.

We flew to Kern Valley, CA a few weeks ago. The ramp there is on a fairly big incline and aircraft park with their nose facing uphill. (So tail downhill.)

My airplane partner, whose butt (and stomach) has gotten larger as she's aged. was experimenting getting out of the plane without using her arms. (She's scheduled for back surgery and wanted to see if she could get in and out of the plane if the strength in her arms was diminshed.) She leaned way back after she had pushed herself onto the seat back. Since the tail was already pointed downhill. so went the plane. We tipped on to the tail, in Glasair TD fashion. (We're a FT.)

That's the second time in the life if this aircraft that that's happened. When it happens, it bangs the bottom of the rudder and, on our plane, the rudder trim tab itself.

This time it broke the bond between the rudder trim tab and the rudder itself. I ended up pulling the trim tab out and gluing the rudder there. (Always carry JB Weld in your tool kit.)

Turns out that the airplane flies just fine without the tab and the aerodynamics are back to what one would expect. That is, it takes right rudder in climb, no rudder in cruise, and left rudder in descent with power.

So I'm thinking that the bond inside the rudder between the inside skins and the metal trim tab had started loosening last year, such that, when air load hit the trim tab, the tab flexed a bit. It didn't feel loose during the year when I would bend the tab. Nevertheless, this is the only explanation I can find. And now that the tab is no more, the problem is no more.

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: